What's new

The Games we play...

southend_marc said:
I was going to buy it but I have heard its rubbish on the Ps3 loads of things missing.

It's amazing how much bad press the 360 owners give the PS3 :p

I think the only real difference is that there's more pop-up on the 360 version (it can't handle quite as much on screen), but the 360 version will have downloadable content available in a few months time.

It isn't rubbish.

It's brilliant.

I laugh at all those who haven't got it yet, especially Pierre.

I heard there is more detail on the 360 as well but at a cost the frame rate is not as fast.

I dont have a 360 anyway so if I got it it would be on the PS3 but I dont want to get it if its only half the game if you know what I mean.

I do, but, I can't see it being that much different.

Look at it this way (I did) It's £44.99... that's the cost of what, a night out? A tank of fuel? A couple of takeaways? And for the amount of time you'll enjoy playing on it that's nothing in my opinion.

It looks better on the 360 obviously! :wink: :lol:

40% complete already, haven't stopped playing it since I bought it, I am totally hooked. Best game ever!

In my hunt for a ps3..

I've just bought a 360 with 2 games (nhl & cod4) and wireless adapter for $100 (50 quid if you live in uk)... Still has 4 months warantee too!

At that price i just couldnt resist :lol:

Considering buying gta 4 for it.. then selling it and swapping it for a ps3 at a later date.. :lol:

People have said it runs alot better on the PS3 better colour sharper graphics better sound. True HD support. In other words the normal stuff that is better on the PS3 plus it wont brake the PS3 :) the game has already caused problems on a number of 360 as its pushing it hard.

The PS3 version just lacks some windows some rubbish on the floor etc.

furie said:
I bought Pixel Junk Monsters for the PS3 on Friday, after getting the demo from the US store. It's a superb little game, and well worth £3.50. Smelly, you'll like it too :)

Brilliant game for £3.50... its annoying trying to get the coins AND upgrade your towers by dancing in them at the same time, which to choose which to choose!!

southend_marc said:
People have said it runs alot better on the PS3 better colour sharper graphics better sound. True HD support. In other words the normal stuff that is better on the PS3 plus it wont brake the PS3 :) the game has already caused problems on a number of 360 as its pushing it hard.

Well "people" are wrong.

>True HD suppor

The ps3 version runs at a LOWER resolution than the 360 one. The 360 version runs at 720p, the ps3 runs at the imaginary resoultion which halo 3 ran at (640p).

The 360 also has anti-aliasing but the ps3 has less pop up (thanks to being gauranteed the harddisk).

Not that that all matters, the results are probably VERY unnoticable even when running them side by side. But I have to pick up when people spout innacurate information like "the ps3 is the only one which runs in 'true hd'...

>PS3 plus it wont brake the PS3

Actually .. the ps3 version has been having problems with earlier versions of the ps3. So wrong again..

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=134790

>^ Before it brakes

Its already broken - RROD (thus the price).. the guy i'm buying it from doesnt realise he can send it back for a free replacement. He thinks i'm only able to send it back as i work in games :lol:

I'm not sure about the actuall game but the PS3 is the only console to display images in 1080p (on certain games) while the highest the 360 can show is 720p. And it's only the US verisons that thats happening with, and I'd quite frankly rather have it crash once. Than have my console continuously crash on me.

And please I don't want to get into another argument about which console is better, they both have their strong points so lets leave it there. :p

Grand Theft Auto 4 looks like an amazing game though. But if it's the same as the others. I.E it's fun as a sandbox, but only for a month or so then i'm not sure whever I want it or not. :?

Out of interest whats the best HD resolution?

while the highest the 360 can show is 720p

Im pretty sure I got my 360 running at 1080p, at least that what it says on settings and when I turn the TV on.

Pierre said:
furie said:
I bought Pixel Junk Monsters for the PS3 on Friday, after getting the demo from the US store. It's a superb little game, and well worth £3.50. Smelly, you'll like it too :)

Brilliant game for £3.50... its annoying trying to get the coins AND upgrade your towers by dancing in them at the same time, which to choose which to choose!!

Woohoo! Another Monsters fan! :D

It's easier in two player if you work together. Sadly, minor_Furie isn't the brightest and doesn't get the stuff built in the right place! :lol:

I think you have to learn the levels, so you know which towers you should be building where, and at which wave!

spicy said:
Out of interest whats the best HD resolution?

while the highest the 360 can show is 720p

Im pretty sure I got my 360 running at 1080p, at least that what it says on settings and when I turn the TV on.

*sigh*.. See this is the point i made ages ago.. people CANT tell the difference :lol:

Right. TRYING to keep this simple

Both ps3 and 360 run natively at 720p. However the ps3 CAN render to 1080p (but most games wont as it'll nuke the framerate). With hmdi cables on the 360, the 360 can output 1080p, but it's STILL rendering at 720p.

Now that all sounds like confusing Crap.. so I presume you know how pc's work.. so i'll explain in terms of pc resolution.

480p = 720x480 (this is what the wii renders in)
720p = 1280x720 (this is what BOTH the ps3 and 360 render in)
1080p = 1920x1080 (the ps3 CAN support this, but afaik only gt5 prologue does - the reason? It's VERY hard to render at this resolution without killing the framerate.)

GTA4 on the 360 runs at 720p. (1280x720)

On the ps3 it runs at a LOWER resolution (1152x640).. Which is a resolution half way between 480p and 720p. And is then scaled up to the same resolution as the 360. Of interesting note - this is the SAME resolution that Halo 3 on the 360 runs at.

My belief (getting techy for a bit) is that they did this to get "free" anti-aliasing (look it up) by scaling the image up. As the 360 version has FSAA (Full screen Anti-Aliasing) and the ps3 one doesnt.

What does all this matter you're asking? Answer is "It doesnt", the game is probably no different to look at on one machine than the other unless you sat down with them both next to each other an anally disected each pixel.

The only reason i mention this is because someone stated the ps3 version is in "true hi-def" (i.e. running at 1080p - 1920x1080) which was just wrong.

Oh, as an aside. There's been research done, and it's generally believed that on anything smaller than 60" view area, sat at 10 feet away, people cant tell difference between 720p and 1080p. The difference in the dots just isnt noticeable unless you're sat close to it - like on a computer screen. Sat at a distance most people are on their sofa's - It only becomes a REAL issue when screens of 100" and above are used. So given a choice between 60fps at 720p and 30fps at 1080p.. most developers seem to be choosing 720p.

And please I don't want to get into another argument about which console is better, they both have their strong points so lets leave it ther

Neither do i.. i dont care...

But i do care when people state "facts" which are totally wrong.

PS: Sorry for getting all techy and geeky people.. But if people WILL post innacurate information, then they'll get "geeked" at.

Well, i completed the main storyline of GTA4 today after picking it up on Tuesday morning without any trouble/queues etc. I have to say that the story is probably one of the best of the series so far, with Niko certainly being the most likeable character so far. The fact that you actually have to make choices in the story which actually matter makes it far more involving and fun. On top of that it's also a great sandbox game as mentioned, although not just a complete rehash of the older games, certain things have been tweaked and modified, and the cars actually handle differently now that they did in older GTA's.

I've read in a couple of reviews that the only negative things they have to say about GTA4 are the graphics, which they say "look good in general, but don't hold up to close scrutiny". Well frankly, if you're there with your nose up against the screen investigating every texture, then you probably shouldn't be playing GTA4. It looks fantastic.

I have the 360 version.

Out of interest, can you not run Call of Duty 4 on 1080 output?

Just that everytime I try to, the screen goes blurry/fuzzy and the screen replicates across the TV about 20 times.

Runs fine at a different resolution though.