What's new

The Games we play...

Any of you got a steering wheel for F1 or more specifically GT5? Can't seem to find one anywhere unless I spend silly money.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Drivin ... 759&sr=8-7

Though it's gutting as Amazon were selling it when F1 2010 was released for about £25. All of the PS3 wheels have doubled in price wince GT5 was released. Mine is still sitting gathering dust on top of the wardrobe :p

The one I linked above doesn't have pedals though, just "paddles" at the back for accelerate and brake.

Personally, I'd consider trading in GT5 for a wheel :p

East Coast(er) General said:
Rock Band 3 <3

Minor_Furie wants it with the Pro Guitar.

I only got Rock Band 2 a couple of months ago, so I'm still working my way through it and getting my monies worth. I played a RB3 demo though and it's fantastic, such a superb update (none of this "it's another year, best pump out the same old ****" thing).

Sadly, Harmonix are currently being sold by Viacom. No idea what will happen and who will take them and what it will mean for the franchise (plus the new Dance game they have for Kinect which is supposed to be superb).

My wife's boss' son had an internship at Harmonix over the summer & worked on Dance Central. Says it's great & the only game for the Kinect worth owning right now. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks. :wink:

I can't play F1 Championship Edition anymore :(

My driving style's changed so much because of the new game that I'm almost 2 seconds off my personal best! This resulted in RAGE against the machine - thankfully it survived :lol:

But a bit upset though, because it's sooo much more amazing than the Codemasters pup!

kimahri said:
Then Child of Eden. <3
That's definitely one I'm going to try out. Probably rent it first & buy it if it plays as good as it looks.

Just a quick catch up while I have ten minutes spare :)

First up Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

One word - Brilliant.

It's the best of the previous HP games (which were both great) and the best of the earlier Burnout games (1, 2 and 3). Combined it makes a superb title.

The best bit, of course, is the Autolog. This posts your results to a central system which compares you with your friends. There's nothing more aggravating than having it tell you that somebody you know is currently doing much better than you :lol:

There's so much to say about the game. The handling, the speed, the fun, the frustration (which quickly turns into "must restart once more" - which you'll do for the next hour without getting bored), the excitement, the thrill, the presentation - the list goes on.

One of the best arcade racing titles I'd say to arrive this generation (possibly even longer). It's a pity that it's release was then deadened by:

Gran Tourismo 5. For every bit of fun and joy and excitement offered by NFS:HP, GT5 drains it away. It's like having Ross Noble present a quantum physics lecture, reading directly off a script written by Stephen Hawking. You know that the fun is in there somewhere, but it's been killed dead.

However, if you want to learn Quantum Physics, then you've got the best lecture written ever and at least it's not in a monotonous drone.

To be fair, it's better than GT Prologue. That was a pure exercise in "follow the lines". It's one of the biggest faults with such a realistic racer; it's unforgiving, so you have to use the help. When you use the help (the racing line), you find yourself missing out on the fun of actually driving (all you're seeing is a blue dashed line). If you turn it off, you find you're missing out on the fun of actually driving (mostly because you'll be sitting in a gravel trap because go slightly too fast and not quite on the line and you're just off).

GT5 does add some liveliness to the cars that wasn't present before. They seem to have realised that there is a barrier between real life "in a car" driving and sat on the sofa with a control pad "in a car" driving.

It's really much, much more of the same. It's a collect'em-up racing game where you feel like you're being educated rather than enjoying yourself... Except... Some of the tracks and races are just seriously awesome. Every so often the game will suddenly throw something at you which takes it out of the tedious and into something unexpectedly brilliant.

The right car, on the right track and you're in a world of fast action, fun and excitement. It's like Ross is allowed 5 minutes every hour of lecture to ad lib.

Sadly, the sound is dreadful, there's awful screen tearing at times where the graphics engine is screaming at the seams, the online is just a broken wreckage and there's no real direction or learning curve to the game. You'll find yourself coming first easily on the first 2 challenges, then you'll struggle for an hour to get a decent place on the third (Top Gear track) challenge. 4th challenge again is easy.

On top of that ,it's all over the shop, it's huge and there's just no guidance. You are just left amid a massive number of unexplained graphical icons to click on "a-spec", "b-spec", GT-Life, etc all different sizes and you don't know what they are until you've waited five minutes for them to load.

There's no real guidance on what cars to use, how best to spend your money, etc. Okay, it's down to "learning it yourself", but so much is open at the start it's bamboozling. With over a thousand cars to choose from and hundreds of events (plus dozens upon dozens of modification options per car to improve them) you've got no hope. Add in the fact that the "second hand car dealer" doesn't tell information you need to know about a car for race entry and you're just left clicking, waiting, looking, closing, repeat ad infinitum. I just don't know if the Nissan Skyline blah-de-blah custom zapper model '08 is FF,FR,RR,RF,FFS or what! I like cars, I recognise quite a few to look at, but I don't know each of the 1000+ cars inside out enough to be able to make judgements on what to choose.

Frustration is the one word that keeps springing to mind. It's Pokemon of the racing world and just as inaccessible to most people as the world of silly cartoon creatures is to anyone with a mental age over 11.

Yet, there's fun there. There's a serious challenge and, you're learning quantum physics. You'll be a better (slightly nerdier and duller) person for it at the end.

Then you'll load up NFS:HP and actually enjoy yourself, and realise life's for living ;)

^I agree on NFS:HP, I've played it a lot over the last week and I think it's fantastic. I love hot pursuits and the way the cars handle, especially drifting. Plan to finish it soon, you play it on PS3?

Yep, Ps3 :) I'm spending more time on GT5 at the moment as I have a couple of mates with HP who haven't really played it yet, so I'm letting them catch up a little.

I don't play online very often - I have limited time to play, so tend to stick to the core single player modes. However, with NFS:HP having the friend challenge thing in place, it makes it a kind of off-line online game :)

My PSN ID is Furiekins BTW.

I picked up Dirt 2 and Split/Second on the cheap the other day. I haven't played either yet, but was wondering if anyone else has them, and what they reckon. :)

Been playing RAGE RACER between F1 sessions over the past few days. It's still as amazing as I remember it! <3

"Racers, start your engines, and let's get it on!" smexy :p

Lain said:
I picked up Dirt 2 and Split/Second on the cheap the other day. I haven't played either yet, but was wondering if anyone else has them, and what they reckon. :)

I have Dirt 2 and play it a fair amount. It's an excellent arcade rally game. Like Grid, it's all flashy and stuff, but generally great fun.

Online is superb, you can mix cars and tracks which shouldn't be mixed :)

I have Split/Second for a while, and it's pretty good, but nothing amazing. The handling is pretty rough and takes a lot of getting used to, then the game lacks balance and all the cars look and drive the same.

Been getting back into Alan Wake for the past couple of nights (has to be played after dark :wink: ) just so the wife can watch. She loves the way it's divided into episodes & watches me play like she would her favorite TV show. Her talking about it even finally got Aidan to give it a try & he quite likes it as well. :shock:
Now I'll probably have to buy the DLC so the wife can keep watching after the game ends. :--D