What's new

The Games we play...

I was impressed by how polished Wake was (probably due to how bloomin' delayed it was :p), but it didn't really have much more going for it than a good atmosphere and good worldbuilding (I liked the TV shows and so forth).

The light mechanics were great and I loved them, but it started getting pretty samey pretty quickly, especially when the game didn't throw enemies at you in a particularly engaging way beyond halfway. Perhaps it was a lack of setpieces?

Very impressed by what they managed to squeeze out of the 360 technically. The draw distance is pretty spectacular, and the lighting engine one of the most impressive I've seen in ages. The acting's also excellent across the board, from what I recall.

The writing isn't quite as good as the game thinks it is, aside from a few good throwaway lines ("I'd fallen off more cliffs than I could remember" sorta sums up the plot driven gameplay), and just gets a little silly by the end. I've still not finished the last half of the last episode because I couldn't quite be bothered with finding out what was going on any more.

I suppose I just didn't find that the stakes had been raised much between the start and the end. There wasn't a real build of tension over the situation from the start to that at the end, which I think is mostly down to pacing.

Enjoyable, but not mindblowing or gamechanging. Oh, also not scary in the slightest, if that was its intention.

Aren't you a little young for Amnesia? It deals with some pretty mature themes and is by far the scariest game I've ever played by an Irish mile (and my third favourite because of this - I don't scare in games easily).

I'm a big fan of Frictional Games' Penumbra series because they have a very interesting control scheme and until Amnesia, were the scariest games I'd ever played.

This is a nice review, and obviously has mature themes:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYeCwtksTgU[/youtube]

Ploddish said:
I was impressed by how polished Wake was (probably due to how bloomin' delayed it was :p), but it didn't really have much more going for it than a good atmosphere and good worldbuilding (I liked the TV shows and so forth).

The light mechanics were great and I loved them, but it started getting pretty samey pretty quickly, especially when the game didn't throw enemies at you in a particularly engaging way beyond halfway. Perhaps it was a lack of setpieces?

Very impressed by what they managed to squeeze out of the 360 technically. The draw distance is pretty spectacular, and the lighting engine one of the most impressive I've seen in ages. The acting's also excellent across the board, from what I recall.

The writing isn't quite as good as the game thinks it is, aside from a few good throwaway lines ("I'd fallen off more cliffs than I could remember" sorta sums up the plot driven gameplay), and just gets a little silly by the end. I've still not finished the last half of the last episode because I couldn't quite be bothered with finding out what was going on any more.

I suppose I just didn't find that the stakes had been raised much between the start and the end. There wasn't a real build of tension over the situation from the start to that at the end, which I think is mostly down to pacing.

Enjoyable, but not mindblowing or gamechanging. Oh, also not scary in the slightest, if that was its intention.

Yea, S'good and stuff.

It's not Deadly Premonition. Alan wake ain't got **** on Deadly Premonition

nealbie said:
Been playing RAGE RACER between F1 sessions over the past few days. It's still as amazing as I remember it! <3

"Racers, start your engines, and let's get it on!" smexy :p

OMG, Rage Racer was legendary. I still have my copy somewhere. I played it so much that I became epic at playing it. Tried playing it last year and failed miserably lol, so out of practise.

Will be getting GT5 for Chrimbo with racing wheel et all, should be fun.

Well it seems Tomb Raider is getting a reboot.
jan2011_cover_b.jpg

I'm still not sure what to think of it. The game is just called 'Tomb Raider'. It's either good that they have the chance to start again and make a decent game or it may be bad as they'll change too much and fans will feel let down and cheated. The graphics look good but Lara looks different not and I don't think I'll like that bow instead of the pistols.

^On her crossbow it says "Lara Croft reborn"...
I'm not so sure I like her revamp, but eh, I don't care. It's another new Tomb Raider game so I'm not complaining. TR games are always good in my book.

I still haven't downloaded Guardian Of Light though....

I was hoping they'd remake Tomb Raider 2 and 3 like they did with Anniversary. It was good playing an old classic but done up to look better and work with a newer system.
Underworld was a bit disappointing. It looked good and the levels were huge. But it wasn't until they added trophies until I started to really enjoy it as it made you explore the game more and appreciate all the work that went into it.

Bring back the scary butler an the freezer I say. :p

^I'm hoping for a Last Revelation remake. That's still my favourite TR game...I'd love to see that all done up in HD.

And I agree with you on Underworld, although it could be worse - it could've been like Angel Of Darkness!

Oh god the scary butler. Why did he follow you everywhere? I remember screaming each time I turned the camera round because he would just be standing there...

Haha my first ever experience of Tomb Raider was TR3 and I went straight to the Mansion. The Butler appeared and groaned and I thought it was a zombie and got scared and turned it off haha.

Still love the Tomb Raider franchise though so will deffo be getting this.
I still haven't finished AoD. I still haven't finished it and can't be bothered to. :p

I've tried completing AoD numerous times, but there are only so many times I can put up with the game glitching at the same part everytime I try to get past it. The furthest I've got is when you're in the house with 'The Cleaner'...and that's where the game glitches and there's nothing you can do to get further...

What's the release date for this new game, if you know?

No release date has been said yet. It's going to be in January's issue and it talks about the franchise getting rebooted. All that I know is that it's going to tell the origin story of the character. And it begins when Lara gets stranded on a beach after her boat is destroyed. Her only goal is survival as she braves both physical and emotional trauma.

The issue comes out on the 11th of December and has 10 pages about it. I may get the mag just to find out more. It certainly looks interesting :)
I just love the amount of detail on Lara. Really hope the in-game graphics are super stunning.

Watch from 2:25 onwards
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obd8c8Yg4Rg[/youtube]

Tomb Raider hasn't been good since the mid-90s...

And I can't imagine this will be great either, but, if it is nothing like any of the other games in the last 14 years, maybe it will have potential.

Also, why did no-one think to MENTION the Sands of Time trilogy got released in HD...? Like, NO-ONE... I spend forever on game forums now and no-one mentioned THE BEST GAME EVER got upgraded...

The second two aren't great, but, HD SANDS OF TIME.

Of course, I'm now half-way through it again on the original Xbox so it's just spiteful ¬¬

Furie hasn't done it for 4 pages now. Disgraceful. :p
I knew he wouldn't manage to do it on every page. :lol:

Ollie said:
Furie hasn't done it for 4 pages now. Disgraceful. :p
I knew he wouldn't manage to do it on every page. :lol:

That's because, Unlike you, we're not fanboys and approach our interests with logic and intelligence and not endless garbage.

As I said, Unlike you, you weird Alien-hateing-tomb-raider-scat-loving-saw fanboy