What's new

The Games we play...

Well, I really, really, really like F1 2010, which makes me sad that Marc doesn't :(

Not ONLY does it have the CRED in Abu Dhabi on it, it's also a great game in general.

There are a few niggling problems like you get a penalty for EVERYTHING, even an AI driver coming from nowhere into your gear box and you can't see a thing behind you, but, it's wicked. Absolutely wicked.

And at least Button won at Monza once this year <3

After Ben text me I done what he said. I switched off all the driver aids and drove manual gears. The game came alive all the problems I have having went away and I finally had a sense of speed and traction rather than a load of noise and not going anywhere.

The AI is stupid though as are some other things but its a good start and they can sort them things out for 2011.

The wet weather is great and thats a plus.

Overal its a fun game but a fairly easy one which is the problem. I still do feel let down as it is not what Codemasters said it would be, it is what I thought it would be a year ago and was hoping it was not going to be.

People are saying the online is great, hint Ben :)

F1 2010

Like others I had a great anticipation for this game, I'm not much of a gamer, but it had been 3 years and four whole seasons since we've last had a Formula One game; and this time Codemasters, the Gods of all things racing game were doing it.

So there I sat by the front door, eagerly awaiting Amazon to deliver my product prompt and early - they didn't disappoint (although I somewhat wished they did :lol: )!

Let's start with positives, and there are few at that, because it's not a COMPLETE disaster...

Visually, it's stunning! I can't fault it for looks, but that's not something that was a surprise to me (or anyone else for that matter). We'd all seen the videos and screenshots, the developer diaries; and all those that wanted the game knew that we were going to get an Adonis of a product.

The weather system is AMAZING - the dry to wet transition, the feel under monsoon conditions and then the return back again. I learned the game through a 'weekend' at Silverstone and had the pleasure, nay, the privilege of experiencing a long-run during Friday practice under such conditions. It was orgasmic, and at that point I thought to myself... "WOW, totally worth the wait."

and then... (with the exception of the AI which is outstanding when it comes to race day) It all went downhill! :(

The game, is, in a word, unrealistic. Drivers finish in retarded positions (Liuzzi, Senna and Chandok have all had stood on the podium at time of writing), Red Bull, McLaren & Ferrari consistently find their cars amazing in quali trim and then proceed to go backwards at a rate of knots during the races when you're not watching. If you're close to them, they maintain the pace you'd expect of the top three teams - but if you can't see them on your radar, their lap times tumble in the wrong direction!

It's also so stuck up its own model it's ludicrous. I understand the need to make all the cars their own, and I applaud that. But then it's gone to the extent that RARELY do you see AI team-mates in any other lap difference than adjacent positions on the timesheets. Not always in the same order of drivers and teams, but practically always next to one another.

Small issues also include:- braking, responsiveness, sensible results, stupidly slow wear rate on tyres (35 laps in practice on soft (option) tyres and their condition was still 90%); and the overall arcade feel to the game which (let's be honest) should be a sim with F1, always has been, don't see why Codemasters should change this ethos.

Oh, another positive I forgot to mention is that I think using real-life people as the journalists in the career mode is NICE touch. Being interviewed by Holly Samos made me giggle no end!

So overall, it's an OK game. A good addition to the series, but nothing outstanding other than visually and the weather system. If I wasn't a Formula One fan and just wanted a racing game, I'd either quite like it (or, more likely), never have picked it up in the first place to find out! But as an F1 fan, I feel somewhat cheated and abused. :cry:

6/10

on rare occasions, Furie once said this

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus PS3 HD remakes CONFIRMED!!!
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/14/ico-a ... amitsu-so/

I'm going to post that link on every page in this topic until it's released next year. There isn't anyone with a PS3 who should NOT buy this remake pack. Ico is one of the best platformers ever, and Shadow of the Colossus is possibly THE best game ever!

Will this be a time where we are greeted with these words again buy the ellusive, Furie?

marc said:
Is the wheel any good was thinking of getting that one.[/code]

I really like it. I've been playing some GT5 Prologue with it as well, and it's great fun.

There are better wheels around (G25 and G27) but I couldn't justify spending £300 on one. :p

^Yeah thats been my problem, I do not want to spend that amount of money on a wheel.

Has anyone else noticed that at Monaco the pit exist is wrong and how much the game slows down when going past the pits at Monaco?

^The existance of the pit is wrong? :wink:

I wouldn't care to much if it was slightly wrong, but I imagine it would be annoying if the game slows down.

Lol I mean exit :)

Its totally wrong I do not see why they done that tbh. The game slow down behind the pits and on the main straight. The problem is it makes it harder for the final corner. Monaco is wrong in many ways anyway, I can go round 2nd gear corners in 4th gear with no problem at all. But there is not enough lock on the car to get round the hairpin properly.

Was was funny was me in Spain forgetting the track changed lol

F1 2010 is rubbish, returning it on Monday.

Pit bug makes it impossible to finish anywhere decent, team expectations are ridiculous in a backmarker car and the penalty system is a joke. Also I've had nothing but wet races for the whole of my career so far (7 races).

I have had 2 wet races out of 6 so thats not to bad., but am having to ignore the team and pit on lap 1 or near the end to avoid being held in the pits and have people pass me who pitted 5 secs behind me.

I am getting more into the game now, but when playing online I do wish people would drive properly. The just crash into you when trying to pass or push you off for no reason at all.

The pit thing is RETARDED, but, just use your brain and pit at a more appropiate time!

And there is a drop in frame rate on quite a few pit lane straights I noticed, which is annoying, but, doesn't break the game for me at all.

And you can turn down the penalties. Or like... learn to drive.

The only thing that annoys me about the penalty system is sometimes, I'll go wide on a corner, and I get a caution for corner cutting... I'm doing the complete ****ing opposite.

Downloaded the Fifa 11 Demo and I like it, but some of the gameplay is annoying. One thing is the fact that the change in pace of players has been seriously reduced, you can't sprint past anyone anymore, which annoys me quite a lot. Secondly, when you have 3 minute halves and play on world class or legendary, you don't have time to score and it goes to penalties. On to penalties I think the new penalty system is good, but I'm still getting used to it. Overall it's good, but I prefer the Fifa 10 gameplay over it.

Not sure whether to get F1 with the mixed response. LBP2 has been postponed until Jan next year as well so definitely going get new NFS.

No Neal, you get a penalty if you pass a car and they turn in on you. At Spa I got hit going into the 1st turn at got a penalty as well.

Okay, the new Pokémon games are out (in Japan). The Pokémon sure look terrible, but the games look cool gameplay- and story-wise. I think I'll get them one day.