What's new

The Games we play...

Homer

Hyper Poster
kimahri said:
mrclam said:
People who dont like mario galaxy make little baby jesus cry.

Considering jesus isnt a baby anymore amd/or never exsisted in the first place thats fine by me :)
Have you seen Talladega Nights? There are many types of Jesuses!

mrclam

Giga Poster
There was once a fat, spoilt rich child called William Tummywick. He was a right troublesome and demanding piece of work - nasty, some might say - who always managed to get what he wanted for Christmas and birthdays, even if it cost more than several hundred pounds!

He was not ashamed to ask for the most expensive bicycle with the most gears. Or the widest television. Or the remote controlled car with the largest engine! And his poor, foolish but wealthy parents would always surrender to William's demands in order to put an end to his whining and whinging.

This year, he got exactly what he wanted for Christmas as ever - a GamesMachine5.

"Why, mother! And father! This is the BEST Christmas present EVER!" shouted the little Tummywick boy, even though 'little' was perhaps not the cleverest way to describe the chocolate-filled and podgy child who most would agree is merely one packet of Monster Munch away from being categorised as morbidly obese.

"It's just what I said I wanted again and again and again!"

"A GamesMachine5! Wow!"

And with that, little William waddled his fat bottom upstairs to play with his new toy.

Now, usually, that would be the last mummy and daddy would see of William until he got hungry for Christmas dinner at around 4.00pm - but today William reappeared downstairs only 20 minutes later!

"William ? Are you OK?" enquired his mother, suddenly worried that her pleasurable Christmas morning of brandy and sherry and peace in the kitchen would be ruined by having to entertain a hyperactive child she always secretly resented.

"Why aren't you playing with your new GamesMachine5?"

William looked sad.

"I did play with it, mummy. I've finished playing with it."

Mr Tummywick put down his pipe and fine imported whiskey in shock and dismay.

"FINISHED?! Already?! But you've only been playing with it for about half an hour!"

"I know" said William.

"Now I'm bored of it"

"Bored?! BORED?!" blustered Mr Tummywick, his whiskey-reddened cheeks turning a new and as-yet uncharted shade of crimson.

"But it's supposed to be the best thing ever! It certainly COST enough, what with the games you also demanded and the pre-ordered new rumbling controllers that aren't even out here until Spring of 2008 and required expensive custom ordering from Japan!"

"How can you POSSIBLY be bored of something that cost so much money?"

William shrugged. He didn't know. Everyone said it was supposed to be good. Everyone said the games were new and exciting.

None of the GamesMachine5 magazines or web sites had mentioned the fact that all of its games were old and boring remakes of products William got bored of by December 26 last year.

It would appear that this Christmas had foolishly been built upon foundations of lies.

Meanwhile, over in the smoggy CheapStreets, little Timothy Hollingwood was hobbling his way slowly and breathlessly down the stairs. The cold weather and old house's lack of central heating was wreaking havoc with his bronchitis, but he was keen as ever to discover which single present he would be receiving this year.

It would have to go some to beat last year's present of a tennis ball!

Timothy also had polio and undiagnosed dyslexia, and his sad parents were so poor because of all the hospital bills they could only afford to buy Timothy a Teenee Console rather than the GamesMachine5 the rich children were all demanding.

Timothy's parents had bought the Teenee Console back in July, with the 170 pounds they inherited when Grandma Hollingwood passed away. She had cancer. It is probably hereditary.

The Teenee Console had been safely hidden in the loft for some six months, waiting for Timothy to unwrap on Christmas morning.

And boy, was Timothy happy with it!

"w... wow... it great" Timothy typed slowly and somewhat inaccurately into his text-to-speech synthesiser (his vocal chords were removed following a fish-bone-swallowing incident at the age of six), smiling in the lopsided way that his few remaining functional facial muscles would allow.

The debilitating muscle-wasting disease Timothy also suffered from made motor control difficult, so the Teenee Console's simple input mechanism made it easy for him to complete games by occasionally flicking his wrist - the only muscle movement he was capable of on one of his Bad Days.

By Christmas lunchtime he had already completed 500 mini games alone!

A crowd of local children were gathering at his front window, watching with amazement as Timothy completed hand-waving task after hand-waving task.

The small, sickly boy, who also had a mysterious hacking cough doctors were puzzled by, suddenly became amazingly popular and the talk of the town!

But over in the Tummywick household, things were not going as foreseen.

Little William was so bored, so incredibly bored, so bored beyond bored with his GamesMachine5 that he decided to do the unthinkable - go outside!

His coat was a little small - he'd grown significantly since last venturing out of the front doors! - but he squeezed into it all the same, leaving the GamesMachine5 turned off and abandoned in his bedroom.

Kicking a stone - a stone he imagined was the combined face and testicles of a man in the magazine who falsely sang the praises of the useless GamesMachine5 - William walked down toward the cheaper houses at the bottom of the hill outside the safety of his ivory-fronted gated community.

What was that crowd? Why were several hundred dirty children gathered around the front windows of a dilapidated terraced cottage without even the simple comfort of double glazing?

"Let me see! Coming through!" William shouted, as he barged the thinner, poorer children out of the way with his burly frame.

Through the window he saw the unthinkable - a puny boy having FUN with a console that was NOT a GamesMachine5!

And the other children seemed to be entranced by this basic and sickeningly cheaper machine!

"That's NOTHING!" William shouted!

"Come back to my house and watch ME!"

"I've got a GamesMachine5!"

A few of the children shrugged. One of them sniggered.

"It was very expensive! So it MUST be good!" William added, indignant and welling up with tears, as the sniggering child laughed some more - and with greater volume!

"You! Why are you laughing?" demanded William of the sniggering and mocking child, in the tone of voice he usually saved for demanding his mother bring more tomato ketchup to bury his fish fingers beneath.

"Nobody buys GamesMachines any more," said the boy, with a sneer.

"They're not cool any more."

William was staggered. The GamesMachine5 certainly WAS cool - it had a cool advert on the television, an advert SO very cool that it was too cool to even show any games whatsoever! It was the coolest machine ever!

"But... but... it is cool! Come and see! Come and watch me play Resistance: Fall of Man!"

The lone snigger this time turned into a full chorus of laughter, as all of the children pointed at the spoilt fat kid then threw snowballs at him. At least two of the snowballs had stones inside and really hurt, while one was constructed of snow that had previously been soaked in urine. That one went in his face.

So the sad fat boy wandered off home to page through the endless menu screens of his GamesMachine5 to wonder if, perchance, one of the options masked something more interesting than screen format resolution options and slide shows of photographs.

But they didn't.

So the moral of the story is that spoilt fat children are going to have a miserable Christmas trying to pretend they're enjoying Resistance: Fall of Man, whereas poor kids will be having fun with the family like they did before TV and MySpace and huffing aerosols was invented, playing games like Mario and Sonic and whatever other nonsense Wii fans kids themselves into thinking is good.

The end.

kimahri

CF Legend
And after mr clam rambles on for no apparent reson we continue with games

and homer

Who really gives a shyte about endings?

they never really seamed to bother anyone befor why are they so important now?

marc

CF Legend
Endings in games are great look at the Final Fantasy and Kingdom of Hearts endings, they made me cry :( lol.

After playing the games for many hours you get really involved in them.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ive been putting off playing metroid 3 as i hated the first one on the cube.

But I borrowed it from work over the hols.. and have been playing last couple of days.

It's now my new favourite game.. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a wii.

I'll write up all my thoughts about it later..

kimahri

CF Legend
After finally geting A GC controller I managed to play Ikaruga

IT'S FREAKING HARD!

I can bearly make it to chapter 3

but the game is great the sound track rules and the controles work perfectly!

GET IT! brings back the true golden oldie feel of games.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, I finished Mario.

That was well easy. I got ONE Game Over, and I did the entire Final Boss level on one life. Lame.

mrclam

Giga Poster
Ben said:
Yeah, I finished Mario.

That was well easy. I got ONE Game Over, and I did the entire Final Boss level on one life. Lame.

Yes, all 3d mario's have been easy to "finish"

However, have you finished it PROPERLY .. i.e. all 120 stars. (And that's obviously before replaying as luigi to get the 121st star - but i reacon you'd have to be a bit anal to do that)

Come back and tell me it's easy and do-able in one game over then...

That's the brilliance of nintendo game design - make a game easy to finish (so every sees the end screen), but very very very hard to master totally - so only the "hard core elite" get to see the REAL ending.

kimahri

CF Legend
mrclam said:
Ben said:
Yeah, I finished Mario.

Yes, all 3d mario's have been easy to "finish"

However, have you finished it PROPERLY .. i.e. all 120 stars. (And that's obviously before replaying as luigi to get the 121st star - but i reacon you'd have to be a bit anal to do that)

Come back and tell me it's easy and do-able in one game over then...

That's the brilliance of nintendo game design - make a game easy to finish (so every sees the end screen), but very very very hard to master totally - so only the "hard core elite" get to see the REAL ending.

As soon as some one 1CC's mushihimesama futari then all games are easy

yay for on topic but pointless post

spicy

Giga Poster
I recommend Assasins Creed to anyone.

The games just brilliant, only complaint I have was a little repetitive and too short.

Awesome game though!

Ben

CF Legend
Smelly said:
Ive been putting off playing metroid 3 as i hated the first one on the cube.

But I borrowed it from work over the hols.. and have been playing last couple of days.

It's now my new favourite game.. I'd recommend it to anyone who has a wii.

I'll write up all my thoughts about it later..

Exactly the same here. I hated the first one, thought it was rubbish, but on a risk, I got Corruption for Christmas, and it's brilliant. I much prefer it to Galaxy (it's actually a challenge), and it's the second best game I've played on the Wii, after Resident Evil 4 of course. It's funny, cause those two games are the games I've not been sure about when I got them, but they're both much better then the games I've been anticipating, ie. Galaxy and Twilight Princess (why does that suck so much?).

Not too long until Brawl though!

mrclam

Giga Poster
I'm quite far into metroid 3 now.

Been playing it for bloody AGES.. Lasted me MUCH longer than the pile of poo which is halo 3 (completed in 8 hours)

Dont know how far i'm actually in, the game says i'm 50% done, but that could mean that i've missed a lot of secrets and stuff (still a lot of unvisited rooms on the map for me to go back to!)

The only thing i'd recommend to people when playing metroid 3 though - is to play with a notepad.

I have pages of notes saying:

Byron, "reactor", couldn't get into room as i needed multiple rockets

So i know that when i get multiple rockets i can go back there for power ups, etc.

Pierre

Strata Poster
I've had Call Of Duty 4 for over a month now, and I just never get bored of the online play, so many different modes, it can get so competitive as well...

I've been playing the single player about once every seven days and that storyline and action in that is great too, but online, man I've never stuck with a game this long, I'm normally bored after 3hrs.

mrclam

Giga Poster
aye cod-4's online mode is great.

Shame the single player is very very very short! If it wasnt for the multiplayer i wouldnt recommend it as value for money at all!

(if you dont play online games - it's worth playing.. but rent it, complete it in an evening.. and take it back)