What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

Last thing I heard was prep work, nothing about track or footers, etc.

All is silent on the western front?

If anyone is interested, I can confirm that it's gonna be able to run with 3 trains, as I talked to Premier at the EAS.
So the capacity, which I know people have been concerned about, is not really a problem in terms of the coaster itself.

My guess is that one train will be in the station, one going through the second forward launch, and one on the main brake run.

Yeah, they will have three, doesn't mean they will run three. Look at Batman, Goliath, Scream, X2, Riddlers, and Tatsu if you want proof of that. 2 months into the season train 3 will be used as parts, with the second one rarely running.

No, they'll run all 3 for the first season (maybe the second if it's that busy- they did that with Tatsu), then one train will be cannibalized for parts, followed by the 2nd train so that there will only be one train.

I heard they also have a policy of cherry picking the absolute best ride-ops in the park to run new rides for the opening few weeks. That means that throughput starts out being amazing (as the trains are getting batched and dispatched super efficiently) then starts to drop off as they rotate staff/people lose enthusiasm. From what I saw on Lex's opening day, it certainly seems believable.

That's likely true. First season of Terminator and Tatsu, the RideOps were just full of enthusiasm. Over the next few years, it's like zombies were running the rides.

Friend of mine was on opening Tatsu crew, and it is definitely true that they bring the best in for opening to limit the waits.

tomahawKSU said:
Yeah, they will have three, doesn't mean they will run three. Look at Batman, Goliath, Scream, X2, Riddlers, and Tatsu if you want proof of that. 2 months into the season train 3 will be used as parts, with the second one rarely running.
Yes, but, look at the capacity of all those you've named, they're nearly all double the capacity of this per train.

That doesn't mean anything when they start stripping trains for parts and run 2 trains only on the busiest weekends after the peak summer season. This will be a capacity nightmare and have long lines because of it. Well, given its location the line will be extremely long in the early morning, but once it gets toward the end of the day, it won't be nearly as long, but it will still be bad.

I had heard and read horror stories about this park, yet when we went there were no problems at all. Rides were working running more than one train and they ride ops were no slower than most of the big uk parks.

I still think this park gets reputation for no reason I could see.

We went out of season as well when there was no need for two trains.

Here's a pretty comprehensive construction update from yesterday: http://www.thecoasterguy.com/index.php/ ... #more-5205

Shame there isn't really anything to see except mud and fences.

thecoasterguy.com said:
SFMM_TR_20121209_02.jpg

SFMM_TR_20121209_12.jpg

Scremscape has caught a new record claim that shows the Marketing departments appetite is bigger than their plate.

I’m not one to nitpick, but from time to time I do feel the need to call a park out on the carpet and today I noticed something a bit off with how Six Flags Magic Mountain is promoting Full Throttle. According to the official page for Full Throttle, they are now saying it will have the record for “tallest, fastest looping coaster in the world” which doesn’t seem right to me.

The only stats listed in the press release and on the website are a 160 foot tall loop and a 70 mph top speed from the launch system, and yet the park’s own X2 coaster is both taller (215 ft drop w/ 175 ft height) and faster (76 mph). Just next door, Viper is also taller (188 ft) and matches Full Throttle’s speed of 70 mph. So with two other coasters, just in the same park, that are both taller and faster than Full Throttle, I just don’t understand how they can promote Full Throttle that way.

It is true that when Full Throttle opens, it will have the world’s tallest vertical loop at 160 feet, but that is the only world record that I can see Full Throttle taking at this point as there are other coasters out there in the world that I think would also fall into the taller/faster w/ inversions category. Storm Runner at Hersheypark for example has a huge 180 foot drop in mid-ride and launches riders out at 75 mph with three inversions along the way. Mr. Freeze at Six Flags over Texas and St. Louis has a height of 218 ft at the top of the spike, and also launches at 70 mph, with one inversion taken both forward and backwards. Full Throttle is a unique and fun looking ride, but for now, I’m not ready to concede that it will be the “tallest, fastest looping coaster in the world”.

Is it just me, or are they randomly claiming records with this coaster? I just get the sense that every week, they say, "Hey! We broke this record too!" But hey, YOLO.

The tallest loop AND it's taken the fastest of any loops? Maybe that's the claim?

So what they mean to say is that it will be the tallest loop in the world, as in, the loop that stands the highest from the ground, not the actual height of the loop itself [/thatwasmorecomplicatedthanitneededtobe]

Yes, they've been a bit naughty with their choice of words, but after just trying to explain it myself, it just doesn't have the same catch. I can see what they mean, and nobody apart from us will care, so.............YOLO (urgh)

It's probably just for advertising purposes. Only enthusiasts will notice these types of "claim errors".(Basically what nadroJ said) It's mainly just to lure the non-enthusiasts in.

Is it just me or does it seem sketchy that there are still no actual construction pictures up yet? What have they been doing this whole time? The only pictures on their Facebook page are of track pieces ready to be shipped out. That was over a month ago...

Since California has no real winter, they don't need to start that early, especially for something with such a small footprint. It won't open until end of May anyways and track is on site.

Makes sense. When should construction begin? This topic has been dead.

Probably mid February or early March. I haven seen any site pictures to see if footers are poured. I imagine all the construction will be done no later than mid April, with soft opening starting in mid May.