What's new

Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launch

Re: Six Flags Magic Mountain | "Full Throttle" | multi launc

I don't want to add too much focus on the YOLO thing because I think it has, kind of, taken over the discussion.

However, I don't think that people are necessarily seeing it as a detraction from the ride itself, but more venting frustration at the advertising/marketing department for being so juvenile. In fairness, it could probably use its own topic, or at least a general "Advertising" topic, which I'm not going to start as I'm not that interested, and there's likely one floating around somewhere anyway.

Since there's no real news about the coaster at the moment though...

I HATE the use of YOLO in the advertising. I think the coaster looks pretty good actually: nothing Earth-shattering, but something a bit different and should be a fun ride. The advert annoys me though, and it is purely because of YOLO.

It just seems a bit sad and desperate to be honest. It's like a bunch of middle-aged guys in suits have sat around in the office and discussed what the "kids" are saying these days, then just randomly thrown it in in a really misguided attempt to "connect" with the teenage market, when it actually comes over as quite pathetic.

It's something I'd expect from Thorpe Park actually. Again, no judgement on the ride itself, or the rest of the advert for that matter, but that one, small aspect just irritates the **** out of me for its pure laziness and desperation.

Obviously some of you forgot that Kingsley ended the YOLO phase in July...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lBC1w5SDzk&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

gavin said:
It just seems a bit sad and desperate to be honest. It's like a bunch of middle-aged guys in suits have sat around in the office and discussed what the "kids" are saying these days, then just randomly thrown it in in a really misguided attempt to "connect" with the teenage market, when it actually comes over as quite pathetic.

It's something I'd expect from Thorpe Park actually. Again, no judgement on the ride itself, or the rest of the advert for that matter, but that one, small aspect just irritates the **** out of me for its pure laziness and desperation.

^This^

Hey!

Yolo.

Despite there being a good chance that I'll ride this next year, so far, I'm not particularly impressed.

Hey guys I made a No Limits Full Throttle. I know, it isn't the best, I made it in 2 days. ANYWAYS. I give you, Full Throttle!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii4PMj1Y_j4&hd=1[/youtube]
Please like, share, and sub.

^Not bad. Certainly helps that a certain acronym is conspicuously absent. :)

The more I think about it, the more that hill is gonna have to be raped with trims, especially with such a short brake run.

And Gavin said it the way everyone who is annoyed/upset about this best. Can't really think of a better explanation than that.

Thank you Gavin for putting into words what I failed to be able to explain.

Still I hope the hill doesn't get trimmed but like Tom said with that short brake space it very well may be

Doesnt it show the brakes starting like a quarter to a third of the way up the hill in the preview animation?

From what I could tell, the brakes start about two thirds of the way down the hill.

Quick question, I'm seeing a lot of people wearing tops with this "YOLO" **** all over it - are they all excited for the new SFMM coaster, or this is some American craze?

Not Necessarily 100% on topic but this is what YOLO has come too -shakes head-

Is Drake’s notorious line “you only live once” (or “YOLO”) used more often in dangerous conditions rather than fun and safe situations? Aspiring rapper, Ervin McKinness, from Southern California used the phrase in a tweet last week during a night out with friends, and what seems like a little bit too much to drink. He tweeted, “Drunk af going 120 drifting corners #f-ckit YOLO."

That tweet was sent just before he died in a car accident in Ontario, California.

source
http://rapfix.mtv.com/2012/09/14/aspiring-rapper-tweets-yolo-fatal-car-accident/

Back on topic. this is going to be another super shot ride at SFMM. Too bad. Still hope it has a couple of strong launches.

And to continue the explanation, SFMM hasn't created a YOLO themed coaster, but merely started the intro video with this acronym. The name has stuck.

I think SFMM pulled the gun too soon on the announcement. If they only waited until last week, they could have gone with "Gangnam Style!"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bZkp7q19f0[/youtube]

Last week? Pfsh, Gangnam Style is so one month ago :roll:

"Hey, sexy lady" does not accurately describe Full Throttle, so Gangnam Style will not work in this situation :)

It would work better as a marketing standpoint though, since Gagnam Style is fresh and has over 220 million views on youtube. Where as YOLO is getting rather aged and is starting to fall out of pop culture.

How about a roller coaster that has a song by a good musical group in its advertising campaign, like Yes? :(

Pieman said:
How about a roller coaster that has a song by a good musical group in its advertising campaign, like Yes? :(

I can see it now. Killer Queen the ride! :wink: