What's new

Silver Dollar City |"Outlaw Run"| Rocky Mountain Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worth pointing out with the trains:

1. They have a true suspension system for each axel. Suspension has been used on other coaster trains, but often does not have the spring coil and what not. This all allows for a smoother ride and better transitioning from element to element.

2. The wheels are 100% steel, which Rocky Mountain points to as an indicator of Outlaw Run being a wooden coaster. Steel coasters use a polyurethane wheel in contrast. Which leads me to ask, what kind of wheels does the New Texas Giant have?

CPcisco said:
^Looks like polyurethane in this picture.
Thanks!

Here is a clip from Screamscape's IAAPA coverage featuring Rocky Mountain discussing the use of steel wheels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4io-om-dIA&t=7m33s

Youngster Joey said:
So Tom pointed out the lack of a grab bar on the trains so I was wondering. Does New Texas Giant have a grab bar?
Nope.

TX_Giant_G_trains2.jpg

I'm a fan of the minimal/no [strike]lapbar[/strike] grab bar design. It's what B&M and Intamin have done with their hyper/giga coaster designs, and I'm glad to see Outlaw Run following suit.

^Grab bar was limiting. I met somewhere meant to be held on too. I see it now on NTG but I didn't see any on the Outlaw Run trains

You don't notice them on the ride, but yeah, some sections are quite close together and if they weren't there, someone who was quite tall would probably be able to reach out and break his hand or something stupid.

Hyde244 said:
I'm a fan of the minimal/no lapbar design. It's what B&M and Intamin have done with their hyper/giga coaster designs, and I'm glad to see Outlaw Run following suit.
Don't know what you're onto here? Both B&M and Intamin obviously have lapbars, otherwise people would've slipped of and died.. And if it's just a spelling error and you're referring to grab bars, both manufacturers still utilizes them:

c32.jpg

B&M grab bars.

Diamondback_from_pulse_journal.jpg

People in the front holding on to said grab bars.

j0o4ro316c11q000hh5lp6.jpg

Intamin grab bars.

mf_train_107.jpg

Man in the front holding on to said grab bar.

I think it's a good idea to have something to hold on to for the people too scared of holding their hands in the air. It's also an issue of comfort; for those who are not the types that trow their hands in the air it's a lot more comfortable to hold onto something than just having their arms being thrown around. Just my point of view!

Sorry, let me clarify.

Minimal/no grabbar. Had the right idea in my head, just used the wrong word!

While some restraints such as Premier, Vekoma, and certain B&Ms (Inverts, Stand-Ups, etc.) have big, honking grab bars on their restraints - I feel the design of small, minute grab bars more appealing. Yes, Intamin still has grab bars, but they are much less pronounced - available to be grabbed, but not insisting on it such as larger grab bar designs. Isn't the true way to ride a roller coaster with hands up afterall?

We'll see how it plays out for Outlaw Run's train design.

I know what you mean, sometimes having minimal to hold on to can actually raise your excitement for the ride (hence people holding their arms up). Ride Thirteen, it hasn't got anything to hold on to, shame it's a piece of ****.

Hyde244 said:
CPcisco said:
^Looks like polyurethane in this picture.
Thanks!

Here is a clip from Screamscape's IAAPA coverage featuring Rocky Mountain discussing the use of steel wheels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4io-om-dIA&t=7m33s

Youngster Joey said:
So Tom pointed out the lack of a grab bar on the trains so I was wondering. Does New Texas Giant have a grab bar?
Nope.

TX_Giant_G_trains2.jpg

I'm a fan of the minimal/no [strike]lapbar[/strike] grab bar design. It's what B&M and Intamin have done with their hyper/giga coaster designs, and I'm glad to see Outlaw Run following suit.
I would classify that little black knob as a grab bar.
I bet Outlaw Run either has those or has something attached to the back of the row immediately preceding. I sort of doubt there would be nothing at all, especially on a ride with inversions and a first drop like that.

At least as far as what has been shown at IAAPA, no grab bars yet.

IMG_3028_wm.jpg

I know it probably means nothing because parks use inaccurate imagery for promo material but... The riders on the promo images from SDC are holding onto grab rails. :)

This thing is ABSOLUTLY unreal. Does any one else think that when this tests we may see a similar thing as maverick happen and they re-profile some track???? Looks too insane to ever be ridden.

There is always a possibility of replacing track on a new roller coaster, such as the roller coaster not performing within a certain margin as it was with Maverick's high g-force count in the former barrel roll. Roller coasters must also pass a clearance test to make sure the riders are not able to touch surrounding elements during the ride. Another example at Cedar Point is a chunk of support that is missing on Millennium Force's first overbanked turn, which was a bit too close to the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.