What's new

Rank the B&M Hyper coasters

madhjsp

Giga Poster
If we're just ranking the one's we've ridden, for me it's:

Apollo's Chariot - one of my very favorite rides, never gets old
Goliath (SFoG) - Also top 10 for me, sweet helix and good airtime
Intimidator - first couple hills were good but I remember a trim after the turnaround that absolutely KILLS it. I did like the new seating arrangement though.

Probably will check off Nitro this summer, and maybe Diamondback on an outside chance, but I don't think I'll be getting on any of the others in the forseeable future. Which is fine with me because other than Behemoth, I haven't really heard amazing things about any of them anyway.

jacksprat

Roller Poster
Honestly I am baffled by the dislike for Intimidator on this forum. It consistently ranks #4 (higher than any other B&M mega) on coasterfanatic, and I hear mostly rave reviews from everywhere else on the internet besides this one forum, where everyone seems to think little of it.. did everyone here ride it on a bad day? I have ridden it nearly 50 times over 3 separate occasions: spring, mid summer (100 degree day) and early fall, morning, noon, and night, and on every single ride in the back, I received floater/ almost ejector air on each camelback hill besides the second twisty one. In the front and in the middle, I felt plentiful floater air, especially on the third hill, where in the front, floater air is felt for about 4 seconds, and in the back, ejector air is felt for about the same amount of time. Some rides the brakes hardly hit at all, and with others, the brakes hit a little harder, yet I still feel some amount of ejector in the back.. on every single camelback. When the brakes do not hit or hit very little, it is easily the most intense B&M hyper I have ever ridden, and I have ridden Goliath (SFOG), Nitro, AC, and diamondback.

Intimidator is not my favorite B&M mega, but it is far better than most of the reviews on this website.

the ONLY thing that stops it from being my favorite mega is the ending, which is such a pointless ending to such a wonderful beginning. I will say that it has a better first half than any other B&M mega.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
jacksprat said:
Honestly I am baffled by the dislike for Intimidator on this forum. It consistently ranks #4 (higher than any other B&M mega) on coasterfanatic, and I hear mostly rave reviews from everywhere else on the internet besides this one forum, where everyone seems to think little of it.. did everyone here ride it on a bad day? I have ridden it nearly 50 times over 3 separate occasions: spring, mid summer (100 degree day) and early fall, morning, noon, and night, and on every single ride in the back, I received ejector air on each camelback hill besides the second twisty one. In the front and in the middle, I felt plentiful floater air, especially on the third hill, where in the front, floater air is felt for about 4 seconds, and in the back, ejector air is felt for about the same amount of time. Some rides the brakes hardly hit at all, and with others, the brakes hit a little harder, yet I still feel some amount of ejector in the back.. on every single camelback. When the brakes do not hit or hit very little, it is easily the most intense B&M hyper I have ever ridden, and I have ridden Goliath (SFOG), Nitro, AC, and diamondback.

Intimidator is not my favorite B&M mega, but it is far better than most of the reviews on this website.

the ONLY thing that stops it from being my favorite mega is the ending, which is such a pointless ending to such a wonderful beginning. I will say that it has a better first half than any other B&M mega.

It's a quality ride, no doubt. To be honest, I kind of agree that some are being a little too harsh on it, because the first three drops and the hammerhead are very good. I put it third, though, of the three B&M mega's that I've ridden because I thought the other two were just better rides start to finish. Maybe it was just the one day that I was there, but the trims after the hammerhead were grabbing so hard that there was no airtime whatsoever in the later drops, even sitting in the back row.. it was just disappointing the way that broke up the pace of the ride.

Snoo

The Legend
Re:

^What airtime? Besides RB, Timmy had the least amount of airtime.. BY FAR.. than the other Megas. Plus.. the airtime is **** anyway because its floater. Ejector ftw.

Snoo said:
Diamondback
Goliath (SFoG)
Apollo's Chariot
Nitro
Raging Bull

And I'll be riding Timmy soon.. so I guess we shall see.

Goliath (SFoG)
Diamondback
Apollo's Chariot
Nitro
Intimidator
Raging Bull

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Re: Re:

Snoo said:
^What airtime? Besides RB, Timmy had the least amount of airtime.. BY FAR.. than the other Megas. Plus.. the airtime is **** anyway because its floater. Ejector ftw.

Well yeah it's all floater, but I thought the airtime was pretty solid on the first couple drops, honestly. About as good as the first few hills on Apollo's Chariot, in my opinion. But after that, I'll agree it gives you nothing.

jacksprat

Roller Poster
I dunno... even when the trims grabbed the hell out of the train, I still felt plenty of floater in the back. I have never felt "nothing." The only hill where I feel close to nothing is on the second hill (the twisty one)

Perhaps I am biased... I prefer sustained floater right on the edge of ejector rather than short pops of ejector... but I can see why many would feel differently.

Someone used an iphone app (or whatever they are called) to measure the coaster speed... he reported that the train moved over each hill at about 35 mph, and that it changed very little when the trims grabbed.

When the trims grab, I feel less floater air, and feel it further down the hill rather than right at the apex, but it is always there and it is always strong.

Maybe I am full of it :drinking: , but regardless, I think some of you should give this coaster another shot.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Well I've now ridden Nitro since I last posted in this topic & it's my new favorite B&M hyper. Just a great ride that has everything you want in a good hypercoaster.

I also had some rides on Apollo's Chariot last week that re-affirmed my love for B&M floater. I forgot how epic that ride is when you sit in the back & prop up your knees to keep the clamshell loose in the station. Seems like you spend nearly half the ride out of your seat!

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
1. Leviathan
2. Diamondback
3. Apollo's Chariot
4. Behemoth
5. Nitro
6. Goliath (La Ronde)
7. Raging Bull
8. Intimidator

I'm throwing Leviathan into this group as it is the same model.

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
Only ridden Nitro and Apollo's Chariot so guess I can't really judge, especially missing some of the biggies.

I do prefer Nitro, and think it's a great ride. Speed, airtime, good pace and throws some hefty positive Gs in that helix.
I would say it looks like one of the tops but again, I'm missing Shambhala, Goliath at Georgia and Leviathan. Also Diamondback which seems to have universal praise.

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
I don't think Goliath at La Ronde gets enough love. I preferred its first drop and airtime slightly over diamondback, Nitro, and Apollo.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Re: Rank the B&M Megas

Of the ones I've ridden id say

1:shambhala
2: leviathan
3: Apollos Chariot
4: Behemoth

Come back tomorrow to see my updated ranking with nitro

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

bizarrofan10

Hyper Poster
^ is your signature lying or would you rather go on Taxi Jam, Leap the Dips, and Jack Rabbit over Apollo and Behemoth?

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
bizarrofan10 said:
I don't think Goliath at La Ronde gets enough love. I preferred its first drop and airtime slightly over diamondback, Nitro, and Apollo.

Never ridden, but agreed I was kinda shocked I never heard about it (maybe not many have ridden?)
Looks sexy and is filled with air time hills.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Re: Rank the B&M Megas

bizarrofan10 said:
^ is your signature lying or would you rather go on Taxi Jam, Leap the Dips, and Jack Rabbit over Apollo and Behemoth?
I have a great love for Apollos but yes. My top 10 is not necessarily the best coasters but its determined by what id mist like to reride.

Taxi Jam is taxi jam. Enough said.
Leap the dips really fun. The ride is so old you think it might collapse at any moment. Its also insanely fun with you out of the seat a good amount. Not to mention every ride is legitimately different depending on weight distribution.

Jack rabbit has the best element on any woodier I've ridden and even ranks up with the best elements I've ever expirienxed. That double down gives a surprising amount of ejector in the back seat

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Mike

Giga Poster
Of the three I've done...
1) Apollo's Chariot
2) Raging Bull
3) Nitro

Nitro and Raging Bull are very close though. RB has one of the best first drops of any ride I've ever been on but trim brakes and a fairly harsh MCBR kills a lot of it. Nitro was decent, but I never remember coming off it with that "wow" feeling I get on my favourite coasters.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I can slightly update this by throwing Silver Star in there now:

1. Behemoth - Fantastic coaster. Loved it.

2. Apollo's Chariot - Seems to have stronger airtime than most.

3. Diamondback - Liked it a lot, but didn't impress me as much as the two above.

4. Silver Star - They must've done something to it recently because I thought it was excellent earlier this year. The whole "Silver Trim" thing just was not happening at all.

5. Hollywood Dream - Lovely "little" ride. Just a lot of fun basically.

6. Nitro - Enjoyable coaster, but slightly disappointed as it was one of my "must ride" coasters and didn't quite live up to expectations. My fault for expecting too much though I guess. This would probably move higher if I rode it again and it wasn't as part of an insane trip where it kind of got "lost" due to the sheer number of coasters getting ridden. I'm kind of uncomfortable putting it this low, but whatever.

7. Intimidator - Crap. I really don't get how it could be so different from the others, but it bored the s**t out of me.