What's new

Rank the B&M Hyper coasters

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
Out of interest, how come you have Raging Bull on top? Also, how come Mako and Candymonium are so far apart, as I was led to believe that those two were very similar to one another?

I’m not judging by any means, I’m merely intrigued, as some of those seem like uncommon opinions!

Nice to see you back by the way @b&mfanboy123; it feels like you haven’t been on the forums in a while!
Hey Matt thanks for the welcome back
so first in my opinion I find that raging bull is consistently amazing, that first drop in the back row, and im always flying out my seat since the ride ops never staple. Its also unique which I love!
Second i separated mako and candymonium, since every ride i've had on candy the trims have hit really hard, while ive gotten rides on mako without trims!

Matt N

CF Legend
I've still only done Mako, unfortunately... I'm hoping to possibly get on Silver Star in 2022, however, so I'll be interested to see how that one compares! I'm also interested, and slightly nervous, to see whether that amazing B&M hyper ride experience still holds up against my 2016 memories given that I've ridden some amazing UK airtime coasters since riding Mako...

Matt N

CF Legend
I should probably have thought that statement through a little better given my relative lack of experience, but I’ll admit I’ve never understood why people say that the UK lacks airtime. Admittedly, none of our coasters utilise it as a strong focus of the ride, but some coasters in Britain have some really decent moments of it!

For instance, the UK’s thrilling Gersts (well, Smiler, Saw and Speed) all have pretty decent pops, Rita has some excellent airtime, Thirteen has some nice pops, Megafobia has some great pops, and that drop in the back is phenomenal, Icon has lots of really excellent pops of airtime, Wicker Man’s grown to develop a lot of pretty strong airtime, Blackpool’s woodies have decent pops, Oblivion and Stealth have brilliant airtime… I could go on!

It’s those coasters that make me worry that Mako and the B&M hyper ride experience in general wouldn’t really stack up compared to my current experiences. When I first rode Mako, I had very little experience of airtime, and I worry that that my lack of experience was partly why I was so blown away by it. I’m excited to get back on it (why wouldn’t I be given it’s my #1?) and ride more B&M hyper coasters, but I’ll admit that I’m also incredibly nervous that the B&M hyper ride style will leave me disappointed given that I’ve ridden so many more airtime coasters since… I remember Mako having the most phenomenal airtime I’d ever experienced, that was so strong, yet so sustained, but did I just think that because I hadn’t experienced much in the way of airtime at this point?

Am I worrying irrationally, or is that something I should be genuinely concerned about?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Rita has some excellent airtime
giphy.gif

Am I worrying irrationally, or is that something I should be genuinely concerned about?
I mean if you genuinely think those UK coasters are good airtime machines, then surely Silver Star won't disappoint you!

ScottLann

Mega Poster
I think you'll be fine.... I had only experienced airtime in the UK before getting on my first hyper. Icon was the one that made me think 'oh...that's it? :/ with regards to the airtime but then when getting on the likes of Mako and Shambhala, you realise how much the U.K lacks that proper, floater/ejector goodness

Ethan

Strata Poster
giphy.gif

I mean if you genuinely think those UK coasters are good airtime machines, then surely Silver Star won't disappoint you!
Hot take, but I've ridden Silver Star and rode Rita again a few weeks ago and weirdly I got much more exciting airtime on Rita? I know, I'm trash for thinking it, but you all knew that anyway.

SkyrushSimp

Mega Poster
only ridden some, but:

1. Diamondback
2. Mako
3. Nitro
4. Goliath (SFOG)
5. Candymonium
6. Nitro
7. Apollo's Chariot
8. Behemoth
9. Raging Bull

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Huh. Would've sworn I've ridden more (numbers are relative to overall ranking):

24MakoSeaWorld Orlando
25GoliathSix Flags Over Georgia
39Apollo's ChariotBusch Gardens Williamsburg
48DiamondbackKings Island
54IntimidatorCarowinds

Matt N

CF Legend
Well, I've finally done a second one of these... (new in bold)
  1. Mako - SeaWorld Orlando (10/10, #1/91)
  2. Silver Star - Europa Park (10/10, #2/91)
There's not really any point in me doing an elaborate blow-by-blow description of each, because for my money, they are fairly similar rides that I rate quite similarly; as you can see from the rankings and ratings, they are my top 2 coasters, and both sit comfortably in my 10/10 tier of enjoyment. I adore both because they are both so fun and rerideable, with such sublime sustained floater air (these are easily my two favourite coasters for airtime I've yet experienced), as well as such a brilliant sense of speed, such comfort and such a general sense of wow factor and rerideability, which I truly love in a ride!

In terms of what actually separates them; after a good bit of thought and indecision, I decided to put Mako on top because I think its strongest airtime moments, such as its first drop and first big airtime hill, had slightly more impact than any single airtime moment on Silver Star, from memory, and while Silver Star is perfectly smooth, Mako just had this sublime feeling of 100% glass smoothness and complete refinedness that Silver Star couldn't quite match, and that was one thing I loved about it. I know that sounds phenomenally pedantic, but when you have two rides as truly top tier as Mako and Silver Star and it's the top spot being fought for, I'm afraid that pedantry has to be the deciding factor. And pedantry ultimately decided that Mako was still my number 1.

Don't get me wrong, though, Silver Star is still very smooth & comfortable for the most part, and its hills are still pretty damn impactful. One thing I'll give it is that both halves of the ride deliver awesome airtime in their own way; the first half wowed me with its exceptional sustained floater over every hill, while I was equally wowed by the phenomenal ejector pops in the second half! They whip you out of the seat brilliantly, and they're surprisingly sustained!

I really am splitting hairs here, though; they are both absolutely exceptional rides, in my opinion, and anywhere other than #1 and #2 for these 2 simply wouldn't feel right based on how much fun I had on each!

My word, the B&M Hyper is such a sublime ride type... despite concerns that SS might disappoint me and the B&M hyper experience wouldn't be as strong as I'd remembered, it delivered and then some, and all the wonderful memories came flooding back as soon as I was yanked down Silver Star's first drop and had my breath taken away by the phenomenal airtime!

Matt N

CF Legend
1. Mako
2. Silver Star
3. Nitro
4. Diamondback
5. Raging Bull
6. Shambhala
If you don't mind me asking; how come you have Shambhala in last place? That one is usually ranked near the top, and quite often at the top, of people's B&M hyper lists from what I've seen.

I'm yet to ride Shambhala, admittedly, but I'm just going off the general consensus.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Ouch, 3 years for an update to this one. Clearly not enough B&M hypers within driving distance.

1. Mako
2. Hollywood Dream (aided by backwards)
3. Nitro
4. Silver Star
5. Apollo's Chariot
6. Goliath (SFoG)
7. Shambhala
8. Intimidator

Indy

Hyper Poster
  1. Goliath (SFOG)
  2. Mako
  3. Diamondback
  4. Silver Star
  5. Apollo's Chariot
  6. Behemoth
  7. Raging Bull
  8. Nitro
  9. Intimidator

FistedColossus

Hyper Poster
If you don't mind me asking; how come you have Shambhala in last place? That one is usually ranked near the top, and quite often at the top, of people's B&M hyper lists from what I've seen.

I'm yet to ride Shambhala, admittedly, but I'm just going off the general consensus.
Tbf It's an incredible coaster, theres not much between Shambhala/Raging Bull/Diamondback. I'm just an airtime snob and prefer the others.

Shammy lacks any real memorable airtime moments IMO whereas all the others have at least one moment of solid ejector.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
From a 3 year update to a 3 month one.

1. Mako
2. Hollywood Dream (aided by backwards)
3. Nitro
4. Silver Star
5. Apollo's Chariot
6. Candymonium
7. Diamondback

8. Goliath (SFoG)
9. Shambhala