3. Behemoth - Canada's Wonderland
4. Apollo's Chariot - Busch Gardens Europe
5. Diamondback - Kings Island
6. Nitro - Six Flags Great Adventure
7. Raging Bull - Six Flags Great America
8. Intimidator - Carowinds

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Looks like we have a number of duplicate topics with all of these "Rank the" discussions:

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Well since we're all newly merged here, who am I to pass up on an opportunity to update?

1. Shambhala. Durr.
2. Behemoth.
3. Leviathan.
4. Diamondback.
5. Silver Star.
6. Apollo's Chariot.
7. Nitro.
8. Raging Bull.

Matt N

CF Legend
Well since we're all newly merged here, who am I to pass up on an opportunity to update?

1. Shambhala. Durr.
2. Behemoth.
3. Leviathan.
4. Diamondback.
5. Silver Star.
6. Apollo's Chariot.
7. Nitro.
8. Raging Bull.
Wow! Shambhala must be pretty incredible to be your very favourite B&M hyper, as I thought you absolutely loved Behemoth!

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Wow! Shambhala must be pretty incredible to be your very favourite B&M hyper, as I thought you absolutely loved Behemoth!

Shambhala is incredible dude, contender for best coaster in Europe if you ask me. Don't get me wrong, Behemoth is still amazing, and it's had a good 7 year run at being 'Howie's favourite hyper', but Shambhala takes everything Behemoth does and just does it better.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
I've only been on two as well, mine are:
1. Shambhala - The first drop and the small ejector airtime hill are what make it my top coaster. The first time i went on Shambhala i was confident in not holding on to the lap bar but both the drop and ejector hill made me hold on it tightly!
2. Mako - The airtime on pretty much every hill on this is crazy, the pacing is brilliant and i love the fact that half of it is over water.

Mako is close to being my number one though as I was majorly let down by the first airtime hill on Shambhala. Everytime i went on it, the train seemed to go over the camelback hill quite slowly and there were little to no airtime at all. Whereas on Mako, it flies over the first airtime hill! What keeps shambhala at the top though is the shear height of it, the turnaround section and I absolutely love the train/seating design.

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump this thread, but I was wondering; for all the flack it’s getting, how do we reckon Orion will stack up against the other B&M gigas? I’m not too sure, personally; I really liked the look of the testing footage, so I’d say it looks to be 2nd behind Fury, but I wouldn’t like to guess until people have ridden it.

Also, I decided to have a look through Captain Coaster, and see what the B&M hyper ranking is in their list of the favourite coasters on the site that they do every month, and I must admit, it made for quite interesting reading. I’ll put the gigas in italics as I know some people rank them, whereas others don’t. I’m not sure I personally would, but each to their own:
  1. Fury 325 (#1 B&M, #8 overall, average rating of 99.1%)
  2. Shambhala (#2 B&M, #20 overall, average rating of 97.3%)
  3. Mako (#5 B&M, #35 overall, average rating of 95.5%)
  4. Goliath (SFOG) (#7 B&M, #51 in the world, average rating of 93.1%)
  5. Behemoth (#8 B&M, #52 overall, average rating of 92.9%)
  6. Leviathan (#11 B&M, #58 overall, average rating of 92.6%)
  7. Nitro (#17 B&M, #69 overall, average rating of 91.3%)
  8. Goliath (La Ronde) (#23 B&M, #82 overall, average rating of 90%)
  9. Apollo’s Chariot (#28 B&M, #91 overall, average rating of 89.4%)
  10. Diamondback (#30 B&M, #99 overall, average rating of 88.9%)
  11. Hollywood Dream: The Ride (#36 B&M, #113 overall, average rating of 87.7%)
  12. Intimidator (#39 B&M, #121 overall, average rating of 86.1%)
  13. Silver Star (#43 B&M, #130 overall, average rating of 85.2%)
  14. Raging Bull (#70 B&M, #218 overall, average rating of 76.4%)
Here’s the list that I got this info from; very interesting to compare the hypers to some of the other B&Ms: https://captaincoaster.com/en/ranki...manufacturer]=43&filters[openingDate]=&page=4

Out of the ones that are open, only Himalayan Eagle Music Roller Coaster is absent. However, I calculated its average rating of the 8 listed at 68.8%, therefore putting it in last place. Here’s the ride’s page: https://captaincoaster.com/en/coasters/himalayan-eagle-music-roller-coaster-happy-valley-beijing

So, what do you guys think of Captain Coaster’s average opinion on the B&M hypers? On the whole, I’d say that it lines up quite well with most people’s opinions, although I would probably have guessed a few differently.

On the whole, I adore this coaster model from the one I’ve ridden (Mako), however I do feel somewhat alone in raving about the model these days, as I’d say I perceive the average opinion of B&M hypers these guys is, as one YouTube channel once put it, “borefest”. What do you guys think of the model?

Hutch

Strata Poster
Been a couple years since my last update, and while I haven't had any new additions, there has a been a change: Diamondback swapped places with Fury.

1. Mako - The smoothest of them all with the best airtime, especially with the lack of a seatbelt. Some uncommon elements too, with the huge overbank and the speed hill.

2. Nitro - Rode it again last year and still gives a great mix of forces, and it's in great shape for ride that's nearly 20 years old.

3. Goliath - Similar intensity to Nitro with an arguably stronger layout, but the first drop isn't as good and there's a tad more of a rattle.

4. Fury - It's a great ride but it's just not god tier like many enthusiasts make it out to be. The first drop and treble clef are incredible, and it has great airtime at the end, but there's too much weaving about. I dunno, the big, high speed turns just didn't really click with me.

5. Diamondback - Rode it again last year and I can tell it's gotten a bit worse since I first rode it. It has some of the best airtime among this entire list, but it has the worst rattle of the bunch.

6. Intimidator - Even though it's one of the smoother ones (up there with Mako and Fury), it has the weakest layout. And that's a darn shame because I know it can give off some awesome airtime, but there's not enough hills to show it off.

7. Apollo's Chariot - REALLY need to ride again for a better opinion.

how do we reckon Orion will stack up against the other B&M gigas?
Honestly, looking at my list here, probably among the bottom. I don't see any way Orion can come close to Fury, but even then I don't rank Fury that highly.

The real question for me would be how it compares to its neighbor, Diamondback, and that really depends on how smooth Orion will turn out to be. I'm sure it will be smooth in its debut year, and with that I'd probably put it above Diamondback. However, if/when Orion gains a rattle as bad as Diamondback, I bet I'd probably prefer Diamondback's airtime over Orion's speed and big turns.

I'd probably just go ride Mystic Timbers honestly.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I too will
Lol, I haven’t listed in here for 5 years. In that time:

1. Fury 325 - this thing is fantastic, and my favorite of all Gina’s ridden thus far. Awesome placement, good flow, and the flojector on the turn back is to die for.
2. Goliath (SFOG) - I’d like to get back to reride, but still recall it being a solid layout and ride.
3. Diamondback - it’s hit and miss these days with really good and really rattle-y rides. Still think the opening drop is one of the best in the Midwest.
4. Intimidator - better than I expected, but expectations were low to start.
Hah, guess I haven't "updated" my list since riding Apollo's Chariot:

1. Fury 325 - this thing is fantastic, and my favorite of all Gina’s ridden thus far. Awesome placement, good flow, and the flojector on the turn back is to die for.
2. Goliath (SFOG) - I’d like to get back to reride, but still recall it being a solid layout and ride.
3. Apollo's Chariot - So glad I finally got to take a spin, as this coaster met all expectations I had of a fun, OG B&M Hyper.
4. Diamondback - it’s hit and miss these days with really good and really rattle-y rides. Still think the opening drop is one of the best in the Midwest.
5. Intimidator - better than I expected, but expectations were low to start.

To @Hutch pontification on Orion; I'd guess Orion slides in behind Apollo's Chariot, maybe breaking my top 65 overall. As we all know, it will all come down to pacing and force, and how much Orion delivers along it's (short) layout.

Matt N

CF Legend
With regards to Orion, why are we all sounding so certain of it gaining a rattle, out of interest? Some B&M hypers seem to have held up pretty well; Shambhala is 8 years old this year, for example, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say anything other than that it’s glass smooth! I’ve also never heard about rattling on Fury or Leviathan, either.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
With regards to Orion, why are we all sounding so certain of it gaining a rattle, out of interest? Some B&M hypers seem to have held up pretty well; Shambhala is 8 years old this year, for example, and I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say anything other than that it’s glass smooth! I’ve also never heard about rattling on Fury or Leviathan, either.
Everyone is certain that Orion will quickly exhibit a rattle because both Diamondback and Banshee did only a few seasons after they opened. Considering how other Cedar Fair parks have managed to not only maintain their B&Ms, but also improve some of them, it's an indicator that Kings Island just doesn't know how to properly maintain their B&Ms.

AJ1980

Roller Poster
Not that anyone will ever get to ride it unfortunately, but the B&M Hyper sitting dormant in Hot Go Dreamworld in China looks like it would top the lot! Its like a Hyper/Mega Hybrid with a mix of airtime and snappy transitions seen as the trademark of each model

Llama Drama

Roller Poster
For me, Orion's biggest uphill battle will be overcoming the ridiculously short length.

Ugh. I mean if you don't wanna go all that imaginative in terms of elements then fine, and if you wanna use the terrain to get to a 300ft drop instead of making the actual lift >300, that's ok too I guess...

But for goodness sake, don't have your B&M giga a mere 39 ft longer than your B&M hyper in the same park. That's just embarrassing. And I would consider myself someone who had pretty tempered, reasonable expectations going into 2019 speculation season.

Obviously it wasn't going to be on the level that those absurd fanmade 8000ft long 400ft drop concepts had illustrated. Anyone in their right mind knew that. I myself was not even predicting that it would match or surpass Fury in terms of stats. And I would have been completely fine with that.

The disappointment with Orion really doesn't have anything to do with it not breaking records (contrary to the tired strawman: "entitled enthusiasts are mad just because it didn't break records"). In order for this to have broken a meaningful giga record it would have had to be either the longest coaster in the world or be taller/faster than Red Force, so obviously that wasn't in the realm of reasonable possibilities, nor what any grounded mind was expecting.

Orion's stats are a bigger step back from Fury's than I think anyone was anticipating. Suppose it were 6000ft flat, and with a lift hill actually above 300 ft, and I'd imagine that it would have been much better received by us, and would not have been lampooned in the way it has...

---
Now despite all my criticism, as I've said before I'm still incredibly happy that my home park got this ride, and think it will be one of my favorite coasters regardless. Its stats are underwhelming but the elements to me seem at least better than Leviathan's. If I were to guess where it will rank relative to the other two B&M gigas, it will be slightly above Leviathan but nowhere close to Fury.

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry to bump this thread, but I’d be intrigued to know; if anyone was able to get on Candymonium or Orion last year, how did they end up comparing to some of the other hypers/gigas?

Sorry if that sounds a bit random; I’m only interested to know, as I haven’t heard a ton about those two rides.

On another note, am I the only one on here who really rates B&M hypers (Well, the one B&M hyper I’ve ridden)? I get the impression that enthusiasts don’t particularly like them anymore, on the whole, so I’d be intrigued to know whether I’m the only one who still rates the ride type (well, the one B&M hyper I’ve done is my #1) and gets excited seeing a new one built.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
On another note, am I the only one on here who really rates B&M hypers (Well, the one B&M hyper I’ve ridden)? I get the impression that enthusiasts don’t particularly like them anymore,

You most certainly are not! I think they're magnificent machines. I have 2 of them in my top 10ish. Some are better than others, obvs, and some might have good days and bad days, or good seats and bad seats... but they're always big, beautiful, imposing, well built, crowd pleasing giants.
I guess people who have ridden loads of them loads of times, or have one on their doorstep, could get a little jaded by them over time, like all coasters, but I for one am really looking forward to notching up a few more.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
You most certainly are not! I think they're magnificent machines. I have 2 of them in my top 10ish. Some are better than others, obvs, and some might have good days and bad days, or good seats and bad seats... but they're always big, beautiful, imposing, well built, crowd pleasing giants.
I guess people who have ridden loads of them loads of times, or have one on their doorstep, could get a little jaded by them over time, like all coasters, but I for one am really looking forward to notching up a few more.
I'm by no means in the category you describe, but I've ridden enough to know that I will always look forward to a lap on a B&M hyper.

Ridden 11 different ones with 58 laps in total, and every single one of those has made me smile.

I'm with @Howie - they're magnificent machines.