What's new

PortAventura | Ferrari Land | New Area

oriolat2

Giga Poster
For once, it seems that the only thing working at a park might be its Intamin coaster... :D

Here we have the testing videos with trains going full speed over the top hat. Yay. That means next year we have a guaranteed +1!

Video shot this afternoon by CAPTE.org user "reusenc". There's another one by PA-Community.com showing the cresting over the top hat with better lighting but its on their facebook, so I cannot embed it here...

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Tallest, fastest coaster in Europe testing: nobody gives a f**k.

Out of curiosity, is this thing actually getting any mainstream attention?

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Is this coaster even announced? Does it have a name?

This may be the strangest case of marketing (or lack thereof) I've seen in the industry in a while.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Seems an odd thing to be proud of! Speaking to the stealth technician on the behind the scenes tour they were extremely proud that they had basically managed to eradicate roll backs, apparently they are a huge faff to deal with and throughput takes a pretty big hit. I wonder if roll backs are as much of a thing for the GP as they are for us enthusiasts?

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Rollback city at that speed.

Exactly. Salou is one of the windiest areas in Catalonia. Even though the coaster is located in the lower part of the hill the park sits in, it is still a very tall structure, so there are high chances it will roll back frequently.

If I remember rightly, one of the main 'features' they first advertised was the fact it can roll back. Shows how dire this project is.

However, since I am sure the park is aware of this setback and these Italians really like to advertise EVERYTHING, they took what could potentially make the coaster look bad/unsafe, and turned it into a selling point. I am sure there will be signs like on all Intamin accelerators with top hats warning about the possibility of rollbacks happening, so as not to have park guests freaking out all the time...

Out of curiosity, is this thing actually getting any mainstream attention?
LOL, no! I love it! Nobodoy gives a rat's ass about this giant turd. Spanish enthusiasts are not even impressed when they know that this was done more than a decade ago, faster and taller. The fact that the park went for Europe's tallest instead of World's tallest just goes to show you how cheap this management is. For once, the "go big or go home" would have been nice...

oriolat2

Giga Poster
After recent incidents it looks like park management have seen that the project fell short and they are slowly improving it. The first of many changes is the upgrade of the Intamin launcher with a 270º twist, just like its American cousins... For the updated version of the layout PA have had to temporarily remove two of the Ferrari shields from the structure. They are expected to be put up again once testing has resumed.

C0xL2yRWgAAml4v.jpg

Man, were they quick! Let's see those trains rolling again testing!

Source: CAPTE.org

If you fell for it, it's because today is Spain's equivalent of April's fool day!

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
That's so random, maybe they bought it with the insurance money? :p

Now all they need is to add a decent layout beyond the drop, and it might be a worthwhile experience.

EDIT: Apparently it's fake. Some sort of spanish april fools.

Last edited:

Scott88

Hyper Poster
Does anyone know if Ferrari Land entry will be valid with a PortAventura annual pass or will separate tickets need to be purchased for it?

spicy

Giga Poster
Lol I was going to say surely that's not real. You can't just stick on a support and some twisted track :)

Also those trains are tiny? 12 Riders per train? Or are they testing it without full length trains?

Lofty

CF Legend
Lol I was going to say surely that's not real. You can't just stick on a support and some twisted track :)

Also those trains are tiny? 12 Riders per train? Or are they testing it without full length trains?
From what I believe, those trains are the 'full' trains. Only pull throughs happen with shorter trains usually, not full ride testing, especially on launch coasters.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
The 270° twist is photoshopped, as I have just had image confirmation posted on a Portaventura fan site not that long ago today, with no twist on the track, not to mention that it is easy to notice that the track type is different, and around the twist looks blurred:-

th720_c5828453cf0cb0c3c87e5648e4d77c5a.jpg