What's new

PortAventura | Ferrari Land | New Area

Yeah, and you can tell just by riding them that Baco and Rita are a LOT quicker than things like Mummy and Blue Fire.

LSMs seem to be more of a consistent acceleration whereas hydraulic is like a push and then the acceleration slows down? Like, Rita seems to get to 50 in like, a second and then spend the other second getting to 60, whereas Blue Fire seems to get to 30 in one second and then 60 in the next.

If that makes sense? That also has no technical backing whatsoever I'm just postulating xD

Still this will have LSMs so it won't have as good a launch as Baco like two hundred meters away. Womp womp.

Ben said:
Yeah, and you can tell just by riding them that Baco and Rita are a LOT quicker than things like Mummy and Blue Fire.

LSMs seem to be more of a consistent acceleration whereas hydraulic is like a push and then the acceleration slows down? Like, Rita seems to get to 50 in like, a second and then spend the other second getting to 60, whereas Blue Fire seems to get to 30 in one second and then 60 in the next.

If that makes sense? That also has no technical backing whatsoever I'm just postulating xD
Yup, you're dead right.

From a technical standpoint, hydraulic launches rely on a large pressure release to spin the drum that winds the cable in. Because of this, you get an extremely hard punch at the start (there's lot and lots of pressure available), but as the launch continues it slows down (there's less and less of a pressure difference available).

With magnetic launches, provided you've got the instantaneous power available, you can essentially accelerate the train at any constant rate you like. You could even vary the acceleration if you wanted to (not that I think that would be very comfortable). The only limiting factor there is the quality of your controls equipment and their ability to control the power delivery. If that makes sense?

So yes, whilst the overall acceleration of a launch can be worth measuring, it's actually the rate of change of acceleration (called "jerk" if you're interested) that really matters.

Ben said:
LSMs seem to be more of a consistent acceleration whereas hydraulic is like a push and then the acceleration slows down?

It's actually the opposite, the main reason Intamin invented the hydraulic launch was because it keeps the acceleration constantly through the whole process where LSM's & LIM's loose their power through the launch.

For an example on a hydraulic launch you can start with around a 2.2G launch and at the end of the launch still be hitting around 1.9-2.0G's. Magnetic launches have been improved greatly over the last 10 years but I'm gonna guess that they are not on the same level yet. The main issue here is power consumption.

I'm guessing the reason you feel the an initial push and then the acceleration slowing down toward the end is because of the brake run for the catch car where there is no more acceleration but your still on the launch track :)

OK, you two have given completely different explanations xD

But hydraulics do accelerate faster than LSMs, or feel more aggressive. Rita and Blue Fire have comparable stats but Rita is MUCH faster off the blocks.

Oh god I remember that topic...

But yh basically the ride panel shows it having a ridiculous acceleration rate not comparable to the stats.

Essentially, this new ride will suck.

_koppen said:
Ben said:
LSMs seem to be more of a consistent acceleration whereas hydraulic is like a push and then the acceleration slows down?

It's actually the opposite, the main reason Intamin invented the hydraulic launch was because it keeps the acceleration constantly through the whole process where LSM's & LIM's loose their power through the launch.

For an example on a hydraulic launch you can start with around a 2.2G launch and at the end of the launch still be hitting around 1.9-2.0G's. Magnetic launches have been improved greatly over the last 10 years but I'm gonna guess that they are not on the same level yet. The main issue here is power consumption.

I'm guessing the reason you feel the an initial push and then the acceleration slowing down toward the end is because of the brake run for the catch car where there is no more acceleration but your still on the launch track :)
I'll happily stand corrected, but are you sure? I can't really see how that would be the case. Can you elaborate?

If anyone cares by this point...

The trackwork is all done now.

409969d1457188016-2017-neuheit-ferrari-land-inkl-launch-coaster-portaventura-spanien-th720_f73bab2cf800456c9ea64126ca88d59f.jpg

Source: http://www.coasterfriends.de/forum/8045 ... en-17.html

Is it just me, or does the turn into and out of the top hat seem very high up. Like, a lot farther up the hill than on TTD, Kingda Ka and Stealth.

So the wonky track thing, are we making a bigger deal out of it than it is? Anyone got science and stuff?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Joey said:
So the wonky track thing, are we making a bigger deal out of it than it is? Anyone got science and stuff?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
No, I don't think we are. Two reasons why I think so:

1. We just don't see this on any other coasters. I can't recall ever seeing trackwork like this on a new coaster, can you? To my mind, that alone should be enough to make us worry.

2. Imagine going over speed bumps in your car at 90mph. Except without tyres, shock absorbers or a padded seat. It's going to be awful.

Unless they fix it before opening... Oh God I hope they fix it before opening...

You know when you used to make these out of the Premier coasters in RCT2 because they didn't have Intamins in that game.

And you could only have one tiny twist for the whole thing stuck right at the top.

It's that.

And it offends me. It is offensive. I am offended by it.

There is literally nothing positive about it.

Aesthetically it's **** gharish at best, the support structure is **** horrible, the colour scheme is gross and it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Technically it's **** woeful, it's 2016 if you're going to make a massive investment at least invest in something that isn't a Lidl attempt at copying Dragster. It doesn't even have a **** roll on the way down.

And the trackwork, my god, the trackwork.

I'd have much preferred them to not bother with this and build a SFX coaster, or Flying Aces type of coaster or something else, but this...

That's the way the new Italian management (InvestIndustrial) rolls... Nice looking (bar this one) additions with little substance to them besides beating European records.

Everything is built out of cheap materials that are easily worn after a season or two. Just look at SésamoAventura, the area around Shambhala or Angkor... Most decorations are already in dire state...

The RCT2 comparison that Ben made was spot on. It doesn't look half as good as TTD or KK ever did. By the way, good luck to them on hitting those 1,200 pph using 3 12-people trains...

There's nothing about this project that really gets me excited besides the fact that this could potentially be the one Intamin with the most rollbacks considering that the area where it's located tends to be really windy...

Huh? Shambhala is absolutely amazing and the area around still looks really good, same with Angkors area.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk