What's new

Oakwood 2013

Drenched is not the tallest water ride in Europe because Divertical, Mirabilandia is quite a lot taller, but drenched is very likely to be the steepest water ride in Europe and probably the world

Camelot's Log Flume has now arrived, and you can see where it will have an indoor section. :)

5265_362208863894872_1051163810_n.jpg

Other Bits And bobs going on around the park...

7345_10151535187904776_1101149117_n.jpg

283422_10151535187914776_700956474_n.jpg

229585_10151535188094776_356320767_n.jpg

Treetops has now got it's own on-ride photo booth... (A tad strange, but I suppose it's money making)

483822_10151535187874776_1736267180_n.jpg

More Theming Being Created

9367_362342220548203_1451835611_n.jpg

527586_362342213881537_60947574_n.jpg

Hmm, it might be my desire to see something new at Oakwood that's making me think this could shape up to look quite impressive.

I forgot that I haven't obtained the Clown Coaster cred... and I never got to Camelot, so that's two creds to obtain (plus Megafobia's deliciousness) which is tempting me to revisit...

Wait until next year when they'll be a Live and the possibility of another cred (if rumours are true!). Or, of course, you go go two years in a row.

Call me cynical, but I'm not hopeful on the "new for 2014" coaster thing if this year's offerings are a buy-at-scrap-value kiddy coaster and a 30 year old log flume.

I do need to go back to Oakwood at some point though. I need to ride Speed, the clown thing and Hydro (NOT a cred clearly, but looks awesome). Plus I need to reride Megafobia and get left disappointed as it can't possibly be as good as I remember it from when I was 16.

Martyn B said:
I've only just noticed that them kids rides are on the site of where Plane Crazy used to be....!
Good spot!

Hopefully the ride has gone forever. It had a slow throughput and "snapping" wasn't allowed so it made the experience even duller. However, Plane Crazy was unique in the UK so perhaps I can view it through rose tinted glasses for a little while.

When I visited on the last day of the 2012 season, the raised area near Plane Crazy and the kiddie land was boarded off. Obviously something to do with this.

I think that Dreamland got the Flying Scooters from Pleasureland, so if they ever open, the slightly bigger and better version will reopen in the country anyway :)

That circus "themed" area is looking a little better.

65272_10151538198224776_139512002_n.jpg

579523_10151538198544776_1711516263_n.jpg

484025_10151538198249776_628126398_n.jpg

And from what I gather, the area where them kids rides came from will be a new medieval themed area, and in between that area and Speed, will be the new pirate themed area.

Ploddish said:
Ian said:
Hopefully the ride has gone forever.
Sorry, Ian. A comment they made on facebook disagrees.
That's a shame. Although it is good to have a unique ride accessible here in the UK. Having said that, it's probably easier and quicker to get to Canobie Lake Park and ride Rowdy Roosters instead.

If Furie is right and a Plane Crazy ride opens in Margate, people in Swindon will be torn between which park to visit to ride it.

Martyn B said:
new medieval themed area, new pirate themed area
I only need to "Dinosaur Land" to complete my bingo card!

So, having visited yesterday and gawping at a few bits of dirt and scaffolding, I can bring you breaking news, guaranteed to be never-before-read and totally exclusive.

Some Nobber said:
* The new Circus land, built on what used to be Plane Crazy, is a 1.0m and under play-area, containing some rides, one of which might have actually cost actual money. Also there was a new fence.

* Treetops, the park's most popular and intense attraction, has a new on-ride-photo opportunity. Rumour has it that the Clown Coaster will have one next year.

* All on-ride-photo cameras are now HD, a fact that the ops are very, very keen to remind you. Be sure to smile! Oh, please, smile? Buy one now! PLEASE BUY ONE I WANT TO BE ALLOWED TO LEAVE.

* Spooky 3D is now a sensory extravaganza, improved this year with extraordinary new theming: bits of string that hang from the ceiling.
Still, the price has stayed the same (£21), and that new bit is actually Playtown with a lick of paint and a gateway (one that reads "Second star to the right, and straight 'till morning", I might add - certainly explains the pirates and the ride themed to London).

Also shown on the promotional banners is something suspiciously akin to Plane Crazy but with fairies for cars, so no prizes for guessing where that's going.

Lastly, the log flume, which is still bare of the touted and pretty expansive theming centrepiece (giant-skull-thing), is taking up the building that used to house the ball pit thing and techniquest. Still looks like a good few months worth of work; much to the distaste of a woman, wheeling a pram and a toddler past as I was having a peek, "Should've bloody-well had it finished by now!". I would've asked her for a comment, but she seemed a little busy scolding her children.

Still, at least I suppose it's comparatively exciting.

Ploddish said:
Still looks like a good few months worth of work; much to the distaste of a woman, wheeling a pram and a toddler past as I was having a peek, "Should've bloody-well had it finished by now!". I would've asked her for a comment, but she seemed a little busy scolding her children.

Ironically, Camelot was the park Madame_Furie described as being "the place parents take their children to shout abuse at them"

Unless Oakwood bought that with the rides as a package?

They're doing such a good job with the land around that Log Flume they should have spent a little more money and got a decent one!