What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just got back from Exodus . Meh. It looked good, but that's about it.

marc

CF Legend
"Now Showing"

Just seen Big Hero 6, what a fantastic film.

Best computer animation I have seen yet and the story was brilliant.

It was upsetting and funny just an all round great film. One minute I was in tears the next the whole cinema was laughing.

It's like the perfect wreck it ralf without the parts people did not like.

It is the perfect family film.

Will see it again when it goes on release.

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
Catching up on the latest Marvel crap:

X-Men: Days of Future Past - Alright movie. Had several scenes that were obviously fanboy nerdgasms. Even for a movie that had a central plot of time travel, the story was convoluted and sketchy at best. The Quicksilver kitchen scene was a fav. Would put it above the Wolverine movies and X3, but somewhere behind all the others. Speaking of behind, Hugh Jackman shows his naked ass about 15 min into the film, sweet. Also, hooray for sticking to a true comic book and retconning a bunch of killed characters so they have life again :/
I am looking forward to Apocalypse, as that is an interesting character if done right.

Thor: The Dark World - The first Thor was probably the 2nd weakest Marvel Universe movie, barely edging out Iron Man 3 because Natalie Portman and the chick from Nick and Nora give me a way bigger boner than Gwen Paltrow. This was 90 minutes of special effects tied around another simpleton like plot line. Not sure how much further this series can go on film with the direction they have chosen. Unlike Hugh, the Hemsworth who plays Thor does not show his naked ass on screen.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Took Maxi-Minor_Furie to see it yesterday. He loved it. I found it really "meh".

I've enjoyed the films generally. The scale, attention to detail, casting - everything right from Fellowship on.

The Hobbit films I've also enjoyed.

The first one was slow, but it had a certain charm to it. It was a bit silly at times, but it's a children's film so it could be forgiven. The Gollum/Ring scene though was fantastic and lifted the film.

Likewise, Desolation of Smaug was a bit silly and twee, but the dragon confrontation was superb with a fabulous performance by Benedict Cummerbund.

I was left wondering after DoS how much could be left really. By that point in the book, there are something like three chapters. The answer was simple - more "add ins from the extended writings" and a battle scene that the biggest and baddest since the Two Towers and Return of the King (all of theirs).

And that was where I was felt feeling "meh". Every battle now just feels the same and when that's the biggest part of the film, it's a let down.

They tried to show the madness of Thorin, but it felt awkward (Martin Freeman being **** to act against doesn't help) and just didn't really seem to be the pivot it should have been.

The attempted "feels" didn't work because you didn't really care enough about the characters. Slightly worse is the way that they're invincible against hordes of 20,000 but then can't handle four enemies.

Yeah, it just felt the same as the others and there wasn't any part of it (apart from perhaps the Galadriel scene) that made you go "wow". Huge in scale and epicness, low in interest.

The links to LotR was also very confusing.
When Legolas is talking to his Dad, he's told "go North and find a ranger called Strider". Yet the battle was decades before LotR. We know it was, because we see Bilbo at the end on his hundredth birthday at the start of LotR. Let's say Bilbo was Martin Freeman's age (I think that's fair) in The Hobbit, then 60 years had passed between Legolas being sent to find Strider and him finding him. Of course, Strider may have lived a very long life, but I don't think the mythos ever says men are anything other than the same as we are. In fact, their mortality and short lives are fundamental to parts of the story.

The only excuse I can find is that it was "prophecy", but that wasn't made in the slightest bit clear and to send Legolas off 30 years before Strider was born was cruel.

I imagine watching it from Unexpected Journey to Return of the King having never seen them, the film would stand up a lot better. For me though, I was left feeling a bit underwhelmed, which for an epic like this is a bad contrast. 7/10.

nealbie

CF Legend
furie, you disappoint me.

Aragorn was 87 at the time of Fellowship (and they even directly address this in Two Towers on the journey to Helms Deep). Bilbo's adventures are 60 years prior, so he would have been just shy of 30 at the time. (I thought everyone knew this? :p).

He is a descendant of Isildur and therefore Numenorean (a mortal race with much longer than normal lifespans).

Aragorn's Age: http://youtu.be/gIVpRQX90Og

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I finally watched Interstellar!

Outside of having a massive headache afterwards, probably due to a lot of the spinning during the movie, I very much enjoyed the movie. Great Chris Nolan film, and an even better soundtrack from Hans Zimmer.

peep

CF Legend
Need to catch up with what I've seen the last few weeks.

Get Santa. I saw this for two reasons. Firstly because I quite liked the odd concept (Santa gets put in a British prison). Secondly the company I work for did a lot of the visual effects on it so I wanted to see it (it's good to see what your company outputs). Well that odd concept I so loved before seeing it turned out to be a little awkward. It was very British but not in the good way? I like Rafe Spall but I felt in some scenes he looked awkward (maybe the family film isn't really his thing?). Jim Broadbent as Santa is perfect, I'd love to see him pick up some more roles playing Santa. A lot of the film is actually spent being depressed about not being good enough or in prison which is just odd for a Christmas film. When there were meant to be moments of 'magic' it felt a bit flat? Either way it was ok for an hour or so on TV next Christmas but not really for the big screen. And yeah, I didn't tell my colleagues I saw it, didn't want the awkwardness of saying that :p

Penguins of Madagascar. Having not been a massive fan of the Madagascar films I thought the Penguin characters could probably pull off a fun flick. It was ok, kids will lap it up. I couldn't help just feeling sorry at the youngest one the whole time and feeling annoyed at how stupid the main one was. I was amused by Benedict Cumberbatch (plays the wolf thing) having to say the word penguin a couple of times (it was pointed out on an episode of Graham Norton earlier this year that he can't pronounce the word properly after a documentary on penguins that he narrated was aired on TV).

Horrible Bosses 2. Cringey. I don't like comedy based off cringe-worthy moments. Therefore this film was not for me.

St. Vincent. Brilliant. Bill Murray's finest performance by far. It moves a little slow at times but the journey with these characters is totally worth anyone's time. It has some rather amusing moments but also some rather sad ones. It's interesting to see how often your opinion of a character can change over a small course of time.

What we do in the shadows. A silly but genius mockumentary about Vampires living together in New Zealand. It's not as laugh out loud funny as I was expecting, more a consistent amusement with the occasional guffaw. If you can see this film I highly recommend it.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
^It really is, I don't know when it came out but it was the first Christmas film I watched this year. It's just great. The girl I was watching it with was more interested in me than the film but I watched most of it. Had a rather abrupt end, but that fat little kid is great <3

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:
^It really is, I don't know when it came out but it was the first Christmas film I watched this year. It's just great. The girl I was watching it with was more interested in me than the film but I watched most of it. Had a rather abrupt end, but that fat little kid is great <3

Worst "I was on a date" post ever </3

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
What we do in the shadows. A silly but genius mockumentary about Vampires living together in New Zealand. It's not as laugh out loud funny as I was expecting, more a consistent amusement with the occasional guffaw. If you can see this film I highly recommend it.

"We're Werewolves, not Swearwolves!"

I loved it. I watched it with Madame_Furie on Tuesday night and we both really enjoyed it. Exceptionally silly and it looked much simpler than it actually was - very clever little film. Probably one of my favourite "I love being entertained by this" films alongside Bad Taste and Blues Brothers :)

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Jordanovichy said:

That kid made the movie. "**** me Santa **** Me Santa **** Me Santa" line, totally caught me off guard.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
The Maze Runner

**** you Suzanne Collins for starting this new trend of teenagers stuck in some dystopian game bollocks. At least it means the whole vampire thing may have died out I suppose. Crap.

Sex Tape

Laugh? I nearly did.

Tammy

Ugh.

The Heat

Alright really, but that's as far as I'd go.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Exodus

Long as hell, but for the most part really good.

Pompeii

This shot to top candidates for worst film of 2014 in the first ten minutes. Just awful. Glad it was free

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (on DVD)

Welp, there goes Big Hero 6 as my favorite animated movie of this decade. I was really looking forward to seeing this but I missed it on theaters because of life. Great movie. Everything about it was perfect. Way better than the first one. The animation was eye candy with the vibrant colors and fluid animation. There is a perfect balance where its not too humorous nor too serious. Since a post on the interwebs spoiled it, I already knew what was going to happen, but if you easily cry in movies, bring some tissues because you ain't going to survive. This is movie is a perfect example of why Dreamworks is much better than Pixar or any other animation studio (other than Studio Ghibli).

9/10

I watched the Christmas Story (or Carol, whichever) with Captain Picard from Star Trek. It was a good movie, but I prefer the old 1940s or 1950s one better! Still, it sends a good message and is overall a good film.

8/10

Another Christmas classic I had never watched before this year was a Christmas Story. It was actually really cute, and some parts had me in tears (the scary Santa in the store, especially). I can see why it's a classic, as it's just really light hearted fun.

8/10

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Saw Peter's Jackson's self indulgent The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies with the wife the other day and almost wish I hadn't. I guess it's a good example of how to take a few paragraphs from a book and make it into a two and a half hour film, but unlike the brilliant Lord of the Rings trilogy that could have been made even longer, these Hobbit movies should have been condensed into a single film that stuck with the book. I like the first Hobbit film and the second one was ok, but the third was just painful to watch due to all the liberties taken. It's no wonder that the Tolkien family refuses to sell the rights to any of his other work.