What's new

"Now Showing"

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: "Now Showing"

Just watched Bridesmaids and Hannah. Bridesmaids was ok, but still made me giggle. Hannah I loved cause it reminded me of Run Lola Run (Lola Rennt) because its basically all running, all the time and it is all put to the beat of techno (must find the soundtrack to the movie). Plus, Hannah had better fight scenes than in some of the newer films I've watched.

Switching between the hideouts'...

Jer

Strata Poster
Just finished The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus now I'll be honest I downloaded the movie only for Tom Waits, and him being a singer I didn't expect his acting to be so great, but man, I was wrong, in every way. The story has been told before, a man making deals with the devil, leading to his child. But there was so much more to this wonderful movie. So I downloaded it because of Tom Waits, who stole the movie form Heath Ledger, who died before the movie was released (2009) but that all doesn't matter because Lily Cole is **** hot.

9/10

Lain

Giga Poster
peep said:
^I'm still not sure if I want to see that. Had to make a copy of the EPK for it a couple weeks back and it did tempt me, I thought it was out tomorrow?

I don't know what an EPK is, but yeah, it came out on Wednesday and you should definitely go see it, cos it's amazing. xD

tomahawk

Strata Poster
RE: "Now Showing"

Moneyball

I love baseball, and therefore I loved this movie. I hated Brad Pitt when he got casted, but they did great, the entire cast was perfect. Quite possibly the best film of the year, at least from what I have seen.

10/10

Sent from my throne

Nic

Strata Poster
Last night, Jake made me watch Jack Frost

I was rather hesitant initially, as I generally don't like horror films, but I quickly realised that in this case it wouldn't be an issue. It's one of those films that definitely fits into the category of "so awful, it's amazing!" I was in absolute hysterics all the way through. The special effects are terrible, the acting is appauling and the plot is utterly ridiculous. I loved it!

5/5

On fri night, I was made by someone else to sit through Priest (in 3d)

Now, I'll be the first to admit that this really isn't my thing. At all. I don't really do sci-fi and I definitely don't do fantasy. Even so though, the whole thing was just utter b0ll0cks. I fell asleep halfway through. Eugh.

0/5

kir

Hyper Poster
I posted the following sentiment on Twitter already, but clearly this hasn't satisfied my disatisfaction.

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. And I've seen Juno. And Pineapple Express.

1/10.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I can't believe it's taken people almost 20 years to see Jurassic Park!!! ;) :p

I've been watching all kinds of knobby pretentious stuff recently.

Battleship Potemkin for starters. 1920's silent Russian film that most directors claim is "highly influential". It's really weird to watch, there's a constant feeling of deja vu as you see all these scenes that have been ripped straight from it for other films. Anyway, these films are generally pretty hard to watch (particularly if they haven't been done up like Metropolis), but it was well worth sticking with.

It's essentially the simple tale of a Russian battleship crew who revolt after being badly treated. The local town they are anchored in support them as it's the time of revolution in Russia. It all ends badly in the town though with the famous staircase massacre scene, then the battleship has to face the Russian navy who have come to destroy them.

From the staircase massacre onwards, the film is really good. It's horrific, touching and incredibly tense. Okay, it's aged really badly, but all the techniques required to engage you in a film are there and it grabs you. If you're into film history, then it's an absolute must. If you can stomach having to read and watch a film instead of having it spoon fed to you, it's also well worth watching. - 9/10

Letters from Iwo Jima is similar in the lack of colour, having to read sense. Also the starkness and brutality. Really interesting film, presented in an almost documentary manner about the Japanese stand on Iwo Jima, the last island between America and Japan in the Pacific theatre in the second world war.

Brilliantly and simply presented. It was fantastic to see "gritty realism" without all the gung-ho bollocks of Saving Private Ryan ;) . If you've not seen it and want some idea of how hard the war was on the Japanese, it's a must - 10/10

Rope from Alfred Hitchcock is a 1949 "classic" about two students who decide to kill a "less intelligent" fellow student in an effort to produce the perfect intellectual murder. They arrange for a dinner party straight after the murder and the corpse in the room all the time. It's a constant "will they get away with it or wont they" situation. I have actually seen this before, but I was very young at the time (and going through a 'must watch everything Hitchcock has done' phase) and I didn't realise how good the film was. I was expecting Psycho or The Birds and got a simple single room play. Watching it again you can see the tension and while it's not my favourite Hitchcock, it's great to watch. James Stewart in particular is epic in a "kind of like Nic Cage, if Nic Cage could speak or act" way ;) If you like single room dramas with a splice of tension, give it a go 8/10.

I think that's it for arty-farty rubbish, so how about Mars needs Moms? Pretty typical non-Pixar CGI affair? Actually, it's more like an 80's kid's Sci-Fi film like Flight of the Navigator (only without being anywhere near as classic, but that kind of idea) and isn't completely dreadful, in fact, it's almost good. Joan Cussack is blatantly far too irritating, but she has the common decency to spend the majority of the film unconscious, a state she should consider making permanent for her acting career.

Anyway, it's a kids film which is mildly captivating and almost a little bit different from the norm. 7/10

peep

CF Legend
^I wasn't too sure on Mars needs Mums but I see where you're coming from in relation to it being similar to 80s family flicks.

Managed to track down a tiny screening of 30 minutes or less

It's a comedy about a pizza delivery guy who gets a bomb strapped to his chest to steal money for some idiots who want to kill off their rich dad. It's all a bit silly but there are some genuinely amusing moments throughout the film. It's odd how it got such a small release here, I thought it would have been very popular.

Rating: 3/5

Will

Strata Poster
peep said:
Tinker tailor soldier spy
Has one of the most epic cast line-ups since the Potter films and although shot nicely etc it just didn't do it for me, to me the pace was just a bit too slow in places and then when something happened it was over all a bit too quickly. Such a shame because I wanted to love it and it just didn't entertain me in the way I was hoping it would. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood for something like this?
Rating: 2/5
Aside from the fact that 2 is a bit harsh, and the text above this contained a positive review of Friends with bloody Benefits, totally with you on all of that - I was expecting to be captivated, which I wasn't, so many I was in the wrong mood as well. It skipped around far too much, which it took me a while to notice it was doing, and then as you say, all the actual action happened much too quickly - I don't have a problem with films with excessive dialogue, but I prefer the dialogue to actually explain what's going on? Meh, maybe I was just being mentally slow this afternoon - regardless, it was a bit disappointing given that awesome cast. Maybe I'll try again when it gets a DVD release.

And speaking of DVD, I caught up with Thor last night, partly because as most of you know, if it's got Natalie Portman in, I'll watch it* Even with that point, and one of her co-stars ignored, this was a VERY nice film visually, and I got the feeling that some scenes could have been quite special in Cinema 3D. However, the film itself was not so special - words that instantly sprung to mind included silly (some of the special effects seemed to be there simply because they could be, and added little more than distraction – and THEN there was a giant robot. Flame-spitting or otherwise, I’m struggling to think of a film since Terminator 2 that’s been improved by a giant robot) and eminently predictable. And that was just the passable first hour and a half – I hoped the ending would redeem it, but again the reality was the reverse, and I was left shouting ‘fukaxe’ at the screen rather a lot, as annoying, increasingly ridiculous events unfolded. Then it ended. Then they threatened me with a sequel.
I’ll give it a very grudging 6 ½...

*For the purposes of this post, No Strings Attached and Star Wars 1-3 do not exist. Now there's a happier world...

peep

CF Legend
Caught two films today. First was Crazy, Stupid, Love

Fantastic cast and slightly stereotypical plot with some really nice twists thrown in. Really enjoyed it, it had some great emotional scenes and some genuinely hilarious moments. Just a great, fun film, I recommend it.

Rating: 4/5

Next was Red State

I hadn't seen anything of this film, just seen the poster everywhere. Kevin Smith film with John Goodman in it. So what is it about? Umm, I don't want to give too much away but it involves guns and those mental Christian clans in America, you know the sort that turn up at funerals of gay people saying they're burning in hell etc. Really, really, awesome film. It felt short but sweet, took me totally by surprise and ends on an amusing note, if you know of a screening of it near you I highly recommend you go see it.

Rating: 4.5/5

tomahawk

Strata Poster
They aren't Christian, they are a crazy **** cult who poses under the name of baptists and should be taken out back and shot. Them being allowed to protest funerals is a travesty, but thankfully there are enough people at those funerals now making sure they don't get close. Can't wait til they slip up somewhere and someone finally pulls the trigger on them. Severe stance? Maybe, but they don't deserve to lick **** off my boots. /endrant

So the past week I have seen 3 of arguably the best movies of the year, previously mentioned Moneyball, then I saw 50/50 and Warrior.

50/50

This movie was so heavy, and full of raw emotion it was hard to watch and felt so real. Seth Rogen being in that movie did a lot to keep this movie from getting too depressed, but it was really really good. I am seeing it again this weekend and I will probably bring a tissue because it made me tear up.

10/10

Warrior

Being a casual to growing big MMA fan, I was hoping it would be good. And then hearing all the good reviews, I was excited to see it, and it did not disappoint. Very good. Tom Hardy was fantastic, and I can't wait to see him as Bane, and this movie should get some award nods. Very good, from beginning to end.

10/10

Go see all 3 now.

nadroJ

CF Legend
peep said:
Next was Red State

I hadn't seen anything of this film, just seen the poster everywhere. Kevin Smith film with John Goodman in it. So what is it about? Umm, I don't want to give too much away but it involves guns and those mental Christian clans in America, you know the sort that turn up at funerals of gay people saying they're burning in hell etc. Really, really, awesome film. It felt short but sweet, took me totally by surprise and ends on an amusing note, if you know of a screening of it near you I highly recommend you go see it.

Rating: 4.5/5

I saw Red State in exactly the same way you did, John. Hadn't heard a thing about it but having just watched Dogma and being extremely impressed by it I trusted Kevin Smith enough to deliver some more awesome.

I REALLY loved the first half. It completely caught me off guard, but as the subject matter slowly became clearer and clearer I was entranced. I found the film focused a lot on the subject of torture, not just because of the actual things you see but also in how they are presented to you. Having to listen to, what, at least 15 minutes of this 'priest' spouting poison at you without a chance for air was one of the most uncomfortable scenes I've had to sit through in the cinema in a WHILE.

I didn't sooooo much like the second half, I felt it went a bit......blah. But the first half was SO good that it overshadowed the rest ;]

I'd give it a 4/5.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Didn't think I'd dig it, especially having not seen the first one, but it was actually well done, enjoyable, and easy to follow :p

7/10

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Seen a few films again. I'll start with a couple that will appeal to Jordan and Ben.

American Psycho - I was convinced I'd seen this film, but had no memory of it (very unlike me). Then watching it, I realised I'd rented it with an ex girlfriend who didn't want to see it. So I've never seen it.

Brilliant though, absolutely brilliant. I just can't quite explain the underlying wit in the writing and the character created by Bale. It's such a quirky, fun and disturbing film all in one. It's just simply brilliant and I can't recommend it enough to... Everyone! 10/10

Last night I made Minor_Furie watch A fistful of dollars. I've probably only seen it the once when I was 15 or so and watched the three films over three consecutive weeks. I always thought it was perhaps the weaker of the three, but I was wrong. I suspect Ben may be right and the overlong TG, TB & TU (while having a few incredible stand out moments) is actually not as great as I thought :lol: Fistful is a superb cowboy flick and has Clint growling and glaring at his absolute best. Can't wait to see For a few dollars more again :) another 10/10 :)

Erm, there have been others actually, like Unknown which was Liam Neeson bollocks and Snow Buddies which left me feeling like I needed to be taken out the back and shot in the head. Both can have 2/10. I'll review the rest as I remember I've seen them :lol:

Dave

CF Legend
"Now Showing"

furie said:
Seen a few films again. I'll start with a couple that will appeal to Jordan and Ben.

American Psycho - I was convinced I'd seen this film, but had no memory of it (very unlike me). Then watching it, I realised I'd rented it with an ex girlfriend who didn't want to see it. So I've never seen it.

Brilliant though, absolutely brilliant. I just can't quite explain the underlying wit in the writing and the character created by Bale. It's such a quirky, fun and disturbing film all in one. It's just simply brilliant and I can't recommend it enough to... Everyone! 10/10

:lol:

Do you like Huey Lewis & the News?

If you've never read the book and loved the film, go read it! It's superb.

Ben

CF Legend
furie said:
Seen a few films again. I'll start with a couple that will appeal to ... Ben.

American Psycho

That film's so over-rated ;)

Last night I made Minor_Furie watch A fistful of dollars. I've probably only seen it the once when I was 15 or so and watched the three films over three consecutive weeks. I always thought it was perhaps the weaker of the three, but I was wrong. I suspect Ben may be right and the overlong TG, TB & TU (while having a few incredible stand out moments) is actually not as great as I thought

Yeah, Fistful of Dollars is the best of the three <3 It's just so tightly done, doesn't waste time, and does what it needs to. It's the Portal of Cowboy films. And TG, TB + TU is the Portal 2 - the same good stuff, but, over-drawn to the point it gets a bit bloated. Although Portal 2's miles better than the dull, piss-stain of TG, TB + TU...

peep

CF Legend
^Nom. I don't really want to see any more than that though, don't want the entire film spoiled before I see it. Which is going to be very hard.

Anyways I saw two films today. First was What's your number?

It's a typical rom-com really, very predictable, the odd cringey scenes of death and some very amusing moments with excellent cameos from some of the best comedy actors around at the moment. It's watchable and amusing but not the best (doesn't help I saw crazy, stupid love the other week which was epic). Still some good fun moments and a good cast, watch it if there isn't anything else on.

Rating: 3/5

Then I watched Drive.

Been really looking forward to this film and OMFG it's AMAZING. Seriously, you HAVE to see it, it's just brilliant. I was told it was kinda slow but I thought it had quite a nice pace to it and the violence is graphic and awesome. Ryan Gosling just shows (once again) that he is clearly one of the best actors around and just oozes cool throughout the film. Little is said for most of the first half of the film yet you totally know what is going on, so well written and directed and the songs add a quirky 80s/daft punk style layer to it all. Definitely worth the wait and the hype <3

Rating: 5/5