What's new

"Now Showing"

peep said:
Then I watched Drive.

Been really looking forward to this film and OMFG it's AMAZING. Seriously, you HAVE to see it, it's just brilliant. I was told it was kinda slow but I thought it had quite a nice pace to it and the violence is graphic and awesome. Ryan Gosling just shows (once again) that he is clearly one of the best actors around and just oozes cool throughout the film. Little is said for most of the first half of the film yet you totally know what is going on, so well written and directed and the songs add a quirky 80s/daft punk style layer to it all. Definitely worth the wait and the hype <3

Rating: 5/5

So brilliant, that a lady is in fact suing for false advertising or something like that :lol:

Anywho, watched SCRE4M recently. Oh god, outside of the handful of one liners the movie has and that the first 10 minutes is spent making fun of the movie itself, it was dreadful. The death scene's were horrid (Screams were better), the acting was pretty much on the line of "Really, we HAVE to do another one?", and the fact that I went to watch it with blisteringly low expectations, and it didn't even meet those, just made the movie overall horrible. I'm glad I had Red Boxed it, but it is 1.07 that I will never be able to use elsewhere, and on something better.

I'd give it a 1/5 for the fact that it made me chuckle at the very end.

Also rented Transformers: Dark Side of the Moon and outside of the entire film being lack luster, the CG in some spots being seen (pixels on Optimus's arm at one point), and the action all within the last 30 minutes maybe, I actually enjoyed it. The twist was something that I possibly would have guessed on if I was able to fully pay attention to the movie (as Shia LeBouf's whining just got annoying, the high up lady person, whatever her name was, didn't really DO much for the film, and that everything was centered around Carly screaming out Shia's characters name), it made it up with some beautifully thought out fight scenes, some attempted drama and a mechanical worm that I want to own.

I give it a 3/5 with the possibility of being acquired digitally.

Last movie I got was Grave Encounters, a B-movie with a supposed well-known cast that makes fun of the ghost shows (mainly Ghost Adventures as the entire beginning is literally a blatant rip-off). VERY slow in the beginning. Slow to the point in which I was willing to stop the rental and just ignore it for the next 24 hours. Yet, after 30 minutes of the group whining and complaining, the fun FINALLY begins. Compared to some of today's Horror standards, this actually made me jump, cover my eyes and freak me out for the rest of the night. The one actress could have done a MUCH better job, the deaths were thought out (to an extent), and the best death scene involves a tub :3

If you have Direct TV or something with Pay-Per-View channels, it is 6.99 for a two night rental, but just grab it off of X-Box Zune for 560 points if you want to watch something scary and netflix has nothing worth watching. I give it a 3.5/5 for some very fancy thinking on their end to get you scared.

Remembered the other films I've watched. Small run on monster films first - I'll call this review section "I can't believe it's not Clover(field)"

Skyline is a very blatant Cloverfield kind of film, only with less shaky cam. Group of young friends wake up early in the morning and aliens are attacking. It's us against them in utter adversity with no hope for the future... Or is there..? Rubbish and obvious twisty ending doesn't quite ruin what is a completely unremarkable film. 7/10 but woth it for fun if you like that kind of thing (I do :) ).

Then Monsters which was apparently done by an 8 year old boy, a decade old PC and half a packet of chewing gum or something - look it up. It's a journey movie through Mexico to get to the US borders while avoiding huge Cthuloid squid monster things. Some annoying bloke has to help some annoying woman get home but for some annoying reason they can't do it any other way than on foot. The creatures are (like, erm, that other film...) mostly hidden from view until the end. Everything looks like it's going to be obvious. Boy meets girl. Boy screws up and girl hates him but has to rely on him to get her home. Boy and girl bond in the face of monstrous, tentacle endowed horror. Boy and girl make up just before an exciting and satisfying conclusion where the film gets good. All that except for the latter point, because the film just peters out into a damp squib - sorry, <-SPOILER.

Yeah, so you sit through an hour or so of annoyance and dull, ready for the great ending that never comes. Tempted to give it a 7 for excessive use of polyps, but it only deserves a 6/10 as they never really put them to good use.

And now for something completely different - Four Lions. A harshly funny black comedy about a group of Islamic extremists trying to create their own jihad in London. It's massively and unashamedly offensive and utterly wrong at every turn. Also very, very funny. Think of it as a contemporary Life of Brian only about Islam and not quite as cerebral . 8/10, simply because it feels so wrong to laugh at it most of the time :lol:

furie said:
And now for something completely different - Four Lions. A harshly funny black comedy about a group of Islamic extremists trying to create their own jihad in London. It's massively and unashamedly offensive and utterly wrong at every turn. Also very, very funny. Think of it as a contemporary Life of Brian only about Islam and not quite as cerebral . 8/10, simply because it feels so wrong to laugh at it most of the time :lol:
Couldn't agree more. Although I thought it was filmed in Sheffield? I don't know if that's where it's set, but it's definitely filmed here. :D

Hixee said:
Couldn't agree more. Although I thought it was filmed in Sheffield? I don't know if that's where it's set, but it's definitely filmed here. :D

Could well be. It was somewhere they talk funny anyway :p

furie said:
Hixee said:

Could well be. It was somewhere they talk funny anyway :p

Oi :p

Yeah it was filmed here. Most of it was shot down by Meadowhall shopping centre I believe. It's a hilarious film. But, like you said, it genuinely doesn't feel right laughing at certain parts of it. Never stopped me though :lol:

Seems like ages since I last watched a film...

Intricks said:
peep said:
Then I watched Drive.

Been really looking forward to this film and OMFG it's AMAZING. Seriously, you HAVE to see it, it's just brilliant. I was told it was kinda slow but I thought it had quite a nice pace to it and the violence is graphic and awesome. Ryan Gosling just shows (once again) that he is clearly one of the best actors around and just oozes cool throughout the film. Little is said for most of the first half of the film yet you totally know what is going on, so well written and directed and the songs add a quirky 80s/daft punk style layer to it all. Definitely worth the wait and the hype <3

So brilliant, that a lady is in fact suing for false advertising or something like that :lol:

WTF? America is full of silly people.

Anyway I saw The Lion King in 3D the other night.

The film is still absolutely amazing, just gets everything just about right. It was odd, I haven't actually watched it for a long time and I found it more funny and seeing it on the big screen was just epic. The 3D was pretty amazing for a conversion, the occasional scene didn't really work but it was worth it for certain scenes like the Circle of life intro and Scar's song. How can anyone not love this film?

Intricks said:
Last movie I got was Grave Encounters, a B-movie with a supposed well-known cast that makes fun of the ghost shows (mainly Ghost Adventures as the entire beginning is literally a blatant rip-off). VERY slow in the beginning. Slow to the point in which I was willing to stop the rental and just ignore it for the next 24 hours. Yet, after 30 minutes of the group whining and complaining, the fun FINALLY begins. Compared to some of today's Horror standards, this actually made me jump, cover my eyes and freak me out for the rest of the night. The one actress could have done a MUCH better job, the deaths were thought out (to an extent), and the best death scene involves a tub :3

Watched this yesterday. It was pants. It starts by telling you how it's all real and not made up etc but the stuff that happens in the film is so over the top.
I'm the complete opposite to Intricks. I really liked the first half of the film. Loved the piss take of other ghost hunting shows with him paying the gardener to make up a story about seeing a ghost etc. The first few subtle things that happened were good and creepy. But the second half of the film was just totally over the top and got really weird with the time bending and the corridors moving etc. It's not scary at all either. I didn't jump once and there was no build up to any of the attempted scares.
Also one of the deaths looked like it was from Harry Potter and he have been killed by the Avada Kadava curse or something.

It had the potential to be really good if they didn't make it so over the top. There was no plot either apart from fake ghost show goes in to film, gets scared but can't get out because the layout of the building keeps changing. And then the film seemed to forget about ghosts completely and started messing with time travel/bending and decided to throw a stupid ending on top of it.

Also the camera was annoying. It was always moving and zooming in and out. If they're a professional TV show on their 6th episode why does it look like a 5 year old is holding the camera? I can understand later in the film when they're scared, but even then it doesn't make sense as if you're in that situation the last thing you'd be worried about is to carry on filming.

It's just more frustrating that scary and I found myself shouting "WHAT THE ****?" at the screen several times.

5/10

So last night I went to see Woody Allen's new film, Midnight in Paris

The last film of his I went to see was a bit turd so I was shocked to see so many good reviews for this one. So basically I went in thinking it'd be turd and came out with a big smile on my face. The ensemble cast were great, which is odd because I hate Owen Wilson with a passion, he just has the most annoying voice and nose in existence. It starts off really slowly but once the quirky bit of the story began it got really amazing and reminded me a little bit of the Young Indiana Jones TV series, I won't explain why because it'll sort of spoil the film. A genuinely nice film with some very amusing scenes (Adrien Brody's scene nearly had me in tears of laughter). If you can find a screening of this I recommend you go see it.

Rating: 4/5

Saw some more today. First up was Real steel

Really enjoyed it, not sure why, it's the normal sort of boxing flick with added robots. It's good fun though and the CGI is so amazingly done, just seamless (the way it should be).

Rating: 4/5

Then I saw Three Musketeers in 3D.

I enjoyed it, it wasn't a good film per say but it was just some enjoyable popcorn fluff. I actually thought the 3D was pretty good too which I didn't think it would be. I really didn't like the way it ended though, that annoyed me.

Rating: 3/5

Just came back from watching Paranormal Activity 3

Pro's
The tension in some scenes was unbearable
Made me jump multiple times
Very effective use of a fan ;)

Con's
Plot is a little bit generic
Ending takes elements from the ending of The Last Exorcism

Overall, an effective ghost/horror movie :D

7/10

Saw We need to talk about Kevin last night.

I'm still unsure what I think of it. I suppose the performances were amazing but I'm not sure if I liked the direction of it, it tends to time jump about way too often. It also gets quite tough to watch, the one great thing about this film is the intensity it builds up throughout and when the credits roll, well, I've never heard an audience THAT quiet before at the end of a screening, you could literally hear a pin drop. It's just an odd film, it's good but at the same time I'm slightly repelled due to how awful the characters are. Maybe I should be congratulating the film for drawing me in so much that I actually despise the characters by the end of it? I just can't make my mind up about this at all and I'd recommend it if you're after something a bit different and challenging.

Rating: 3/5

The Incredibles

I wasn't expecting this to be that good but it was actually quite good and very funny in parts. It got confusing at the start but as it got going I understood it more.
8/10

Lion king 3D

Amazing. Totally forgot how epic this film is and the 3D makes it even better. Can't fault it at all.
10/10

Thekingin64 said:
The Incredibles

I wasn't expecting this to be that good but it was actually quite good and very funny in parts. It got confusing at the start but as it got going I understood it more.
8/10

You weren't expecting The Incredibles to be good? What the sheet is wrong with you?!

^^^Do you live in the UK? Because I live in Canada and it hasn't come out yet, I don't think.. It sounds great though.

^ Usually films come out here before they come out in the UK, but Tintin hasn't come out yet I don't think.

Paranormal Activity 3

I wasn't expecting much because I was slightly disappointed with the second one, but it was actually quite good. The first one was still the best because I find the most subtle scares to be the most frightening, but this had a good combination of subtle scares, intense scenes, and suspense. The ending was a bit over the top but I still enjoyed it and it had a good buildup. I won't post any spoilers but the scene with the babysitter at the table.. That scared the crap out of me </3 I like the whole idea of the girl's innocence and not knowing that what she was talking to was a demon and stuff.

7/10

Double post but oh well!

Puss in Boots

Wasn't as brilliant as I thought it would be but there were a lot of jokes and the storyline was fairly unique and cute. There was even a twist that I didn't expect, haha! I've never seen a little kid cry as much as they did at the end of this film though! But yah, Puss is fab and the movie is at least worth seeing. I only went to see it in 3D for my sister's sake and I still stand by the fact that it's completely pointless and all it is good for is hurting my eyes.

7/10

They need a Gingy movie next <3

Puss in Boots

Have to see "kid movies" at night because I hate screaming kids, but this was pretty enjoyable. Like Taylor said, it's cute and unique. Granted the twist is seen a mile and a half away, or it was at least obvious to me, and yeah, it was entertaining. The original Shrek still ****'s all over every other Dreamworks and Pixar movie...besides Toy Story, it just farts near it.

7/10

It's been almost a months since I posted in here... I have not seen PA3, even though I forced myself to endure the awful first two at the cinema. I don't think I'll bother this time around. Not worth my time or money - might wait for a DVD release and rent it.

Anyway, a lot of films from me, as usual:

I watched Insomnia. I love Chris Nolan as a director and writer - he's one of my all time favourites - and I'd been meaning to watch Insomnia for a while now. I enjoyed it. It was a great crime piece which focussed more on the characters than the crime itself and it really kept me quite hooked throughout. The acting was superb, the story was very good, but nothing really stood out as "exceptional" unlike most of Chris Nolan films I have seen. Still, a good watch.

7.5/10

Watched Jackass 3. I've yet to see the second, but this was just like the first - painful, funny, mindless, revolting and somewhat dies towards the end. Jackass works best as a 30 mins TV show as you can laugh all the way through, however, as a 90 or so min film, you end up finding a lot of it unfunny after a while. Nonetheless, many of the 'pranks' were classics, and that's what secured it the rating I gave it.

7/10

I watched Punch-Drunk Love. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect, especially as it had Adam Sandler in whom I do enjoy, but can get a tad boring and over the top. I actually enjoyed it far more than I thought. Surrealism elements, interesting story and bizarrely romantic. The only thing that annoyed me was deliberate and awful natural lens flare throughout.

7/10

I watched Tyrannosaur which was brilliant, followed by a Q&A with director Shane Meadows - excellent social realism piece which was shocking at times, very emotional at others and had simply superb acting in all round. I was on the verge of tears at points and it was simply beautiful to watch. Some bits were a tad predictable, but oh well, it's amazing British cinema. Shane is a lovely man as well - we had a nice talk for about 5 minutes once I told him I was a film-maker. Much more time than he gave anybody else who approached him afterwards :p

8/10

Apocalypse Now was stunning. Wow. Some scenes were just so visually and technically brilliant with so many explosions, deaths, gunfire and just vast and huge that it blew my mind. Excellent technically, excellent gripping story line and brilliant acting. I think it slots just outside my top 20 films. Amazing film-making.

9.5/10

Micmacs was very enjoyable. Gripping storyline, great humuour and the style was very much Amelie which was directed by the same director - Jean-Pierre Jeunet. A good mix of the old, traditional idea in the story and modern times.

7.5/10

Watched Buster Keaton's College. I absolutely LOVE Buster Keaton silent films. He is without doubt my favourite actor/director from the silent-film era. College is far off of his best, and yet it still provided endless jokes and the charm and wit of his films shines through. However, the humour does die a little and the film hasn't got the overall uniqueness that makes most other Buster Keaton films - such as The General and Sherlock Jr. - shine through.

7/10

I watched Blade Runner. I think it's one to watch again, mainly as I don't think I was able to watch it and absorb all of its beauty. It's a stunning looking film and the story was very interesting, but unfortunately it didn't get my full concentration throughout so I may have missed bits which would have made the film make more sense. But I love the tech-noir elements. Very nom.

8/10

I watched Citizen Kane with a very open mind. Not knowing as much about it as perhaps a film fan like me should, I was looking forward to seeing why many consider it one of the best films ever made. I think I now know why. It is crafted magnificently. Everything from the way it was shot to the story structure and narrative is so unique and wonderful. It's fresh - and that's something coming from an 18 year old in 2011. It made me go 'wow', and all films that do that tend to end up in my top 20. This slots in right in the middle at 10 on my list. Classic, magnificent.

10/10

I watched Half Nelson. I'd no idea what it was about, and maybe that was the downfall of the film. It looked like it would have a very deep, perhaps disturbing storyline as the film developed, and yet it never amounted to nothing. I saw a relationship build between the teacher and the student, but it never went further than being 'friends'. I felt I'd been robbed of maybe a naughty-naughty teacher-student story, or maybe even soft drug usage by them both... it just never amounted to anything. Disappointing. But otherwise, solid acting, a refreshing film.

6.5/10

The other day I started on Krzysztof Kieślowski's Three Colours Trilogy. I've been meaning to watch them for a while, and I finally found copies of each, so I sat over three consecutive nights and watched the films.

First up was Three Colours: Blue. A great start to the series showing real emotion from the protagonist and displaying its theme explicitly and very well. The film - like the rest of the series - isn't for the traditional film viewer, it is for film fans. It's an intelligent film which requires not blank observation, but thought, depth and leaves you carrying something away with you. It certainly did that to me.

8/10

Three Colours: White was equally as brilliant as Blue. Similar parallels between the two films begun to show through and this would continue into Red. This was strangely comic, a contrast from Blue and a nice change. Once again, brilliance.

8/10

Three Colours: Red was my favourite of the three, and in my eyes was the better. I felt a lot more emotion in this film towards the protagonist and was saddened by the end of the film. It had a perfect conclusion to the series showing all the protagonists in the way it does (not going to spoil it) and I genuinely loved the story and its developments. It is a film to be marvelled at in a beautiful trilogy. Masterpiece.

8.5/10

We Need To Talk About Kevin this afternoon...

^
I use Insomnia to cure insomnia. I think I've seen every Nolan film, and it's by far the worst, as well as the most dull thing I've seen Al Pacino attached to. Disappointing.

I'll read the rest of that post... at some point :p
Because it was Halloween, I've been catching up on a lot of classic horror this week. The Birds was another Hitchcock tick on the list, and one of his better offerings on top of that. I've described Rosemary's Baby as 'brilliantly unsettling' - kept me on the edge of my seat for 2 hours or so, meaning I'll definitely have to check out more of Roman Polanski's earlier stuff, because I've yet to see a non-awesome film from him. I watched Night Of The Living Dead just because I stumbled across it on the PS3 - it's extremely silly and dated, and the live characters are mostly irritating, but then SUDDENLY it has an awesome last 15 minutes, thus a satisfactory end, may have to track down the sequel at some point.
And speaking of sequels, while it doesn't belong on this list, I just watched Final Destination 2 - the highest accolade I can give that is that it was in fact better than the first. Less silly, more tense and a better looking protagonist :p