What's new

"Now Showing"

Our Idiot Brother

Enjoyable

7/10

The Help

I had to go see this for class, and I was shocked I enjoyed it. Emma Stone <3. My fear was it would make every white person in that time seem like a horrible person, and it did, but then again, if they made a movie that was about how "the help" was treated like family by the white people, it wouldn't sell, at all. They did hint that it was there, but when a movie is based in the worst possible place for "help" (arguably right there with Birmingham, AL and Louisiana) of course it will be horrible. Oh well, I enjoyed it and laughed a few times, pretty sure when award season roles around, this will be back in theaters.

8/10

Contagion

To be honest, the movie was decent, but by no means was it good. I found it quite slow, and knew the plot right off the bat. But it was alright. Just, not the greatest, not that I thought it had any real potential anyway.

6/10

Not exactly "Now Showing", but I honestly can't wait for the release of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQIhS844oqQ[/youtube]

^^I want to see Contagion just so I can see Gwyneth Paltrow DIE.

Hopefully on Imax and in 3D at some point, so I can see her die really **** ing big and up close.

Snoo said:
Rio

Actually not bad tbh.

7/10

This.

Bucky Larson: Born to be a Star

Nick Swardson was huge, then Grandmas Boy came out (one of my favorite movies and just amazing) and he fell off the face of the earth. Then he slowly crept back, landing another lead role. I don't know if the critics will let him come back after this one. Rotten Tomatoes (piece of **** ing **** sight full of a bunch of egotistical pricks I may add) has given it a 0% so far and it may get a 10% overall.

Taking it as it is, it is dumb, the jokes are overdone, but, I enjoyed it. Opening Saturday night, 6 people in the theater, same as Grandmas Boy was. I still found it entertaining, and while it was no where near worth the $10 I paid for it, but that doesn't mean when it hits the bargain bin I won't grab it for a cheap price. It will be a great drinking game in the future, and probably be just like Grandmas Boy.

4/10

I watched Insidious on the flight home from England the other day, and I found it pretty good. The entire movie was rather creepy and they did a good job making sure the audience sympathized with the main characters. My only complaint was the end, which was a bit far fetched. I thought they should have kept it a bit more simple, but yah it was still worth watching.

7/10

^See I really liked the end, I thought the whole thing was a real throwback to a classic horror narrative, shows it still works too =]

Insidious was by FAR the worst film I've seen so far this year. It was cringeworthingly awful from abot half way through onwards. A shame, especially as the first half wasn't all that bad.

Final Destination 5

After the awful last instalment, this came as a great surprise. The opening scene is very well put together and one of the best of the FD series. The 3D works pretty well, too.

Watch out for the superb twist at the end, oh and maybe avoid seeing this film if you're having laser eye surgery done soon :wink:

9/10

A Lonely Place to Die.

Really impressive climbing sequences and stuff, but the rest of the film was a bit derivative I felt. A good enough way to kill a couple of hours, though. :)

Been to see lots more films, as usual.

First up: Final Destination 5/The Final 'Final Destination' - We Promise. I was expecting to see pretty much everything that I'd seen in the previous films, which was quite true, but there were so many small, minor references and many larger references to the previous films in the series which made it a much better watch than it should have been. The CGI was debatably poor at many points, but to be expected, and the deaths as gory and hilarious as ever, but it was the fact the film was aware of itself within the series and the links with the rest in the series which made it not too bad a watch.

7/10

Watched One Day. I've read the book and LOVED it, but I know that 9/10 times the book is better than the film', so wasn't expecting such high standards for the film version. And this was true - the film was sweet, reflected some of the ideas and emotions from the book but felt floundering in place. Anne Hathaway's dreadful voice acting ruined a lot of the film too - within a sentence she often went from and incredibly strong northern accent to a standard British accent or even a weak American accent. I'd have preferred it if she just did standard British to be honest rather than brutally murder her lines. The film had to cover a lot from the book, but could only manage a small scraping. Even ignoring the fact I've read the book, the film still felt lacking in places and some parts were briefly touched upon and never mentioned, deeming them pointless.

6/10

Watched The Art of Getting By. Probably the only reason I even wanted to watch this was Emma Roberts, and she didn't fail to make me happy. Once again, there was an underwear scene involving her (although it was brief) and she looked as hot as ever. Away from that, the film really lacked emotion, direction and a string story. It all felt a bit neglected as it could've been better developed and the casting of Freddie Highmore (Charlie in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) was questionable. He reminds me of Nicholas Hoult when he first went to the US - bad accent, static acting and trying so hard on the accent the acting goes out of the window, even if the character is a bit wooden anyway.

6.5/10

Apollo 18 was ok, I guess, though I'm still not sure whether I actually enjoyed it or not yet. Been looking forward to it for a while after it suffered countless delays in production and post-production. The first 2/3s of the film and quite dull and slow and I was shocked nobody was bored enough to walk out, but the final 1/3 was much better and things actually happened. I could see what they were trying to achieve through the filming technique, but in some points it worked well, in others it was very poor. It felt like an experiment rather than a proper full fledged film, and if the horror element was more prominent in the first 2/3s, it would have been quite good. One question I do have is how the hell did they retrieve the film in the end...? (It'll make sense if you watch it)

5/10, but I'm really not sure to be honest.

Watched Crazy Stupid Love. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. Wasn't expecting THAT! Simply brilliant romantic comedy which from start to finish left me thinking wow. To me, this is how a rom-com should be done - sweet, excellent characters which you can easily identify, empathise and feel for and a brilliant story with depth and a twist. The film was brilliantly written, sweet and a stand out among all the rom-coms I think I have ever seen. there is a lot more drama than comedy, a lot more romance than humour, but it made me leave the cinema feeling good about myself like the film had changed a part of me for good. Not many films do that. And to top it all off, the delicious Emma Stone ;)

This is definitely one of my favourite films of the year and I may have to re-watch it when it comes out in cinemas soon.

8.5/10

Saw Friends With Benefits. This was a total let down - hardly funny at all, too fast-paced at time, badly edited and just felt all wrong. The only humour tended to come from the first sex scenes and that was about it. Mila Kunis - although VERY hot in many scenes - just didn't do much for me as a character and neither did Justin Timberlake's character either. I wanted it to end a lot quicker than it did, which was a shame.

Could have been good, but fell short...very short.

5.5/10

Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, an excellent film :D
Acting was superb and I highly expect Oldman to get an Oscar xD

9/10

coasterboy said:
Just watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, an excellent film :D
Acting was superb and I highly expect Oldman to get an Oscar xD

9/10

Gary Oldman is frequently the best thing in anything he's in. Best actor of a generation? Could be.

I'm off to see TTSS on Sunday, and I cannot wait. XD

I saw Warrior today, and it is really flipping good.

The trailers make it look like a bad Rocky ripoff, but it's actually amazing. Go see.

^I'm still not sure if I want to see that. Had to make a copy of the EPK for it a couple weeks back and it did tempt me, I thought it was out tomorrow?

Saw two films today, first was Friends with benefits

Really enjoyed this film, I loved the writer/director's other film (Easy A) and I enjoyed this one just as much, he needs to make moar. I thought the film flowed quite well and although predictable at times I like the little things like digs at other rom-coms and the cast were great. Just a very enjoyable film imo.

Rating: 4/5

Tinker tailor soldier spy

Has one of the most epic cast line-ups since the Potter films and although shot nicely etc it just didn't do it for me, to me the pace was just a bit too slow in places and then when something happened it was over all a bit too quickly. Such a shame because I wanted to love it and it just didn't entertain me in the way I was hoping it would. Maybe I was just in the wrong mood for something like this?

Rating: 2/5

Next time I'm going to the cinema is Monday and OMFG JURASSIC PARK is totally happening!!! Can't actually wait to see that on the big screen.

peep said:
Next time I'm going to the cinema is Monday and OMFG JURASSIC PARK is totally happening!!! Can't actually wait to see that on the big screen.

OMG! I completely forgot about that. I'm going to have to get myself down to Cineworld in the next few days. It's going to be amazing!