What's new

"Now Showing"

Slayed

Hyper Poster
^Agree with you on the music Marc, not so much on the rest! (It's much better than DVC though, and the FX are awesome).

^^Dawwww, Peep man, Brazil is a work of flawed genius! (A bit like Gilliam himself, although so far Dr Parnassus is looking flippin' awesome). Some of the visuals are groundbreaking, and next time you're stuck in some bureaucracy somewhere it WILL come back to haunt you :p. BRAAAAAAZEEEEEEEEELLLLL *dances*

I've been playing catch-up recently. Finally saw Inglourious Basterds last night - why can't Tarantino just make a serious film! He's a fantastic director, knows how to write and his casting is astonishing, but he insists on undermining his later films with knowing referential winks and tonal schizophrenia *sigh*. Stunning performances by Cristophe Waltz & Michael Fassbender though, and you have to be impressed when half the film is subtitled.

There's more so I'll keep it brief :) :-

District 9 - loved it! Not perfect, but very different with some awesome FX. It was definitely a middle-finger to Hollywood for killing their Halo adaptation :p.

The Hurt Locker - pretty intense film about a bomb disposal team in Baghdad. I found it quite clichéd, and I could work out in most scenes what the outcome would be which dissipated a lot of the tension, but it still gives a very strong impression of how terrifying it would be, and some of it was shocking.

Bolt - really enjoyed this, the character animation is amazing, the technology is really pushing ahead. The writing isn't quite up to Pixar's standards but it's a heart-warming and engaging tale that's much better than the usual CG kids fare.

Gran Torino - wow! Clint is usually a sign of at least a half-way decent film, but he's outdone himself this time. He's perfect as the grumpiest man alive, and despite the somewhat simplistic script the film's classic style, and innocent characterisation, suck you right in and don't let go. Bit of a classic.

Michael Clayton
- was curious about this one as it's been quite celebrated on the quiet. It's a very straight film about the depths of corporate greed, with some heavyweight performances from Geroge Clooney, Tom Wilkinson & Tilda Swinton. It's not as shocking, clever or original as it thinks it is, but well put together nonetheless.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
peep said:
Last night I watched Brazil.

I've wanted to see this for years because it has such good reviews. I was mainly baffled by this film. It does have it's good moments but the random crazy parts take up too much of the film which actually annoyed me a little (not sure why). If there is one thing the film exceeds at it is definitely creating tension and suspense. Maybe I should have expected it to be more random, I mean it is a film by Terry Gilliam after all.

Rating: 2/5

uFail :p

Though it has aged badly. It's still just a really amusing film, very subtle, but really funny :)

A

Anonymous

Last film I went to see was Dorian Grey. which, despite knowing nothing about the film, I really enjoyed it.

Colin Firth works really well as the bad guy, who corrupts Dorian (played by the guy who played Prince Caspian).

I do want to see Hurt Locker, but struggling to find the time to see it, may have to just wait for the DVD release. :(

mrclam

Giga Poster
furie said:
I found the film really boring. It didn't do anything well at all.

Then again, the original story was also a huge pile of big girls pants anyway - so it didn't have a good foundation.

I'd like to think it's one of those films where I'm just not understanding something, or missing something important which is why I didn't like it.

However I'm not. It's just a dull story with some over the top scenes and a boring, obvious ending. Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull! And I like Alien! ;)

Which film? District 9?

It was definitely a middle-finger to Hollywood for killing their Halo adaptation

Erm.. um.. no.

More wrong than the wrongiest thing on a wrong day.

mrclam

Giga Poster
So i'm not sure if this tv show is known in America or England or even anywhere else.

But since moving to Canada it's my favoritist show on tv... And tomorrow (Friday 25th Sept) they're releasing their second movie...

What am i talking about?

I'll let the youtube video explain... If you get the chance beg/borrow/download/steal this movie (and the tv series.. it's ace!)

Movie review coming in about a week once the queues have died down a bit:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mrfqn7QsILE
[/youtube]

For those of you who arent aware of the show... Think of the British version of "the office" (fake fly on the wall documentary) but is based in a trailer park - and started about 5 years before ricky gervais got his "idea" about doing it...

i.e. these guys did it first.

the tv show is GREAT.. hoping the 2nd movie matches (loved the first one!)

EDIT: But just like videogames.. most of you will be more interested in stuff like "welcome to zombieland".. *Sigh*

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Another few films bought on Blu Ray this week.

The Last Samurai is essentially about the last days of the Samurai warriors in Japan. Unfortunately Tom Cruse turns up from Hollywood and takes over. That said, he actually does a pretty good job. The real star for me is Ken Watanabe as the Samurai leader who teaches Cruse the ways of the Samurai. Great entertainment, if a little 'Hollywood'.

Picture is pretty much up there with the best of the Blu Ray offerings, sound is only offered in a standard DD5.1 mix, although it is a pretty good one. Mr Zimmer provides the music to a standard only he can ... wonderful.

Movie 8/10
Picture 9/10
Sound 8/10

The Patriot Mel Gibson in another Braveheart type of movie, this time as an American fighting the English. Historical accuracy is probably a typical Hollywood revision. Supporting actors include Heath Ledger, who puts in a decent performance as Gibsons son and Jason Isaacs who plays a fantastically hateable bad guy. Overall a decently enjoyable movie.

Picture is wonderful, well detailed and vibrant colours. Sound is uncompressed PCM 5.1, but you have to look for it and is extremely well detailed, withough being overdone. In the quiet sections, insect and wind sounds have you looking over your shoulder, whilst the Battled scenes have you ducking for cover. The soundtrack by John Williams is both stirring and haunting.

Movie 8/10
Picture 9/10
Sound 9/10

Fast & Furious (Fast And The Furious 4) is one I bought completely on impulse, and because of the 100 Clubcard points on offer. :p I initially thought that this was the original, but it turned out to be the fourth in the franchise. Anyhow, Vin Diesel and Paul Walker are reunited in this installment. So if you like fast cars, testosterone pumping race sequences and a liberal smattering of pretty painted, scantily clad young ladies, then this is probably a great action movie. Sadly, it is not even remotely close to what I would call a good film. At least I got the Clubcard Points!

Picture is stunning, more colours than you could shake your fist at, and the sound, DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, is definately reference material. It's just a shame about the film.

Movie 5/10
Picture 10/10
Sound 10/10

Slayed

Hyper Poster
mrclam said:
Slayed said:
It was definitely a middle-finger to Hollywood for killing their Halo adaptation
Erm.. um.. no.

More wrong than the wrongiest thing on a wrong day.
Go on then, give us the why!

At the very least the FPS section in the lab looked like a blatant slap to the collective Studio face.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
Watched Heath Ledgers Over-Rated Film, oops, I mean The Dark Knight on blu-ray last night.

Simply the most over rated film and performance ever. Nothing at all spectacular, and very pointless imo.

7/10

peep

CF Legend
Watched The Mask the other night.

I haven't seen this film in years and I had forgotten the majority of the film. It was so much better than I even remember it being, just pure hilarity and Jim Carey is definitely at his best.

Rating: 4/5

Watched Knocked up today.

I thought this film was hilarious, just so outrageous. Also watched most of the extras on the second disc, most of it was even funnier than the film, excellent stuff.

Rating: 4/5

^ UGH, Mask is terrible haha. I can't remember much of Knocked Up, but I remember quite liking it.

Watched Heath Ledgers Over-Rated Film, oops, I mean The Dark Knight on blu-ray last night.

Simply the most over rated film and performance ever. Nothing at all spectacular, and very pointless imo.

7/10

I'm glad we share the same view, except I did think Heath's performance was great, just that the movie was lacking.

Slayed

Hyper Poster
ciallkennett said:

7/10
So it's the most overrated film ever, nothing spectacular at all and very pointless - and you gave it a 7? I'd hate to see one of your low scoring films then :wink:.

Dave

CF Legend
The Dark Knight is aweeesome. Heath Ledger is good, but I think tis visuall stunning which what sold it to me

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, the Dark Knight is one of the best films released in the last 10 years, and has set a benchmark that all comic book films will try and match, and none will.

RCF

Strata Poster
^ I totally agree. I don't think it was overrated at all. I thought it was a great movie and Heath Ledgers performance absolutely sealed it.

marc

CF Legend
Just watched Ghost again, Mark had not seen it.

Great film, both of us cried our eyes out lol.

Its not really dated at all which is great.

wash

Mega Poster
Surrogates
Very forgettable, underplayed, and at the same time not nearly subtle enough. Even though it's not a very good film, though, it didn't infuriate me with its crappiness like many other movies do, so I'll leave it with a 5.5/10.

^ I thought that looked good, and I am soo not into that kind of movie. It looks confusing as heck, but it still looked exciting.

I should watch Ghost.. I have it but I never watched it.