What's new

"Now Showing"

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Angels and Demons bluray arrived today and I was really looking forward to this one.I saw it at the cinema three times and enjoyed it more each time. Discarding any confusion between reality and fiction, this is a decent movie with a decent story and plot, and I thoroughly enjoyed the extended version, although haven't spotted the additional scenes yet.

Picture is, as you would expect for a new movie, pretty good. Sound is DTS-HD Master and really pretty potent. Zimmers' score is fantastic, as usual and compliments the movie with ease.

Movie 8/10
Picture 9/10
Sound 10/10

RCF

Strata Poster
peep said:
^Airplane! is a legend of a film, it is the funniest film ever made, no doubt about it. It's just one funny moment after another.

The spoof movies that come out now are dire and whoever makes them should be sued for making such cripe.

I totally agree. Some of them are all right, like Scary Movie (1,2, and 3) but that's about it.

Sleeping Beauty

I think it was Peep I disagreed with about this one. I'd seen it once and really disliked it. Madame_Furie decided Maxi-Minor_Furie should see it as it's a "Disney Classic".

Sleeping Beauty is pretty cool, but I think I'd rank the princessy films like this:

1. Snow White
2. Beauty and the Beast
3. Cinderella (well, until my sister overwatched the crap out of it when she was younger)
4. Little Mermaid
5. Sleeping Beauty
6. Aladdin
7. Pocahontas

I don't remember much of Aladdin or Pocahontis but I hated the atmospheres in them.

PS- RCF, Airplane is AWESOME haha.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I just got back from the theater and I saw 9. It's one of the best movies I've seen in a while, and there is symbolism in every aspect of the movie. The plot is great and even got my heart racing around the climax. It's definitely going on my Christmas list.

If you haven't heard of it:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnoJecu9e7c[/youtube]

peep

CF Legend
^*Jealous* Really want to see 9, looks great.

Last night I watched Runaway Jury on BBC.

I rather enjoyed it and I'm not sure why. It was captivating and I was gripped to my seat wondering what was going to happen next, I suppose. There were some good performances in there too.

Rating: 3/5

Snoo

The Legend

Saw this yesterday with the GF and I really enjoyed it. Basically what marc said.. I got exactly what I expected.. and well worth it.

9/10

AeRo

Hyper Poster
Final bluray for a while is Leon staring Jean Reno, Gary Oldman and Natalie Portman. Leon (Reno) is a 'cleaner' in New York, Oldman is the corrupt drug dealing DEA cop who, along with his men kill Mathildas (Portman) entire family. She seeks help from loner neighbour Leon and the pair strike up an unlikely relationsship where he teaches her how to kill and she teaches him about life. This is possibly one of Oldmans finest performances. This is the full Directors cut, so an extra 20 or so minutes which the sanitised Us version lost. This is an intesne movie experience, and one of my favourite movies of all time.

Picture is the best I have seen, but still not earth shattering, colours and contrast are good. The DTS-HD Master Audio track is again good, but nothing special. Renos voice does resonate well though.My only gripe is that the extras have no sound at normal speed, yet magically it appears when the speed is increased. This may be my player, but I suspect that it isn't. :(

Movie 9/10
Picture 8/10
Sound 8/10

mrclam

Giga Poster
^ Agree on that.

The extra 20 mins completely change the feel of the movie.. the whole weirdness with the little girl is taken to another level.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I watched Dorian Gray last night.

The Picture of Dorian Gray is one of my all-time favourite books, so I was expecting to be really let down by the film. I'm not sure what to make of it really. It just all seemed a bit rushed, which sounds stupid considering the film was close to two hours and the book is very short anyway.

There just didn't seem to be anywhere near as much character development in the film, especially with regards to the secondary characters. Lord Henry is one of the wittiest characters of any book I've read, and that was just thrown away in the film.

The gothic horror element was there, and the sets, costumes and music created the appropriate atmosphere, but it just seemed that when it came to story and character, the whole thing was really lacking.

There were quite a few plot differences from the book, but they didn't really affect much at all, except for the ending, which I hated.

I can't say I was disappointed because I wasn't expecting it to live up to my attitude towards the book, but it wasn't a bad film really. I'm not going to score it because I can't. Plus, I never score films in here anyway.

A-Kid

Giga Poster
Angels and Demons was actually amazing. I mean the ending was very impressive.

Worthy of a 9.5/10 anyway.

Ollie

CF Legend
Dead Snow:
Saw the trailer for this a while ago and thought it looked great. Got it for my birthday yesterday and my friend came round today so we watched it. It's a great movie. It's shot really well and has an epic soundtrack. It's just a typical, over the top gory zombie movie and it's great. It's just laughs all the way through and it's got quite a few jumpy bits as well.
Easy the best because it's the only ;)) Norwegian film I've seen. :)
8/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkC7HiAlAeE&feature=fvst[/youtube]

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
The Final Destination: 3D

It was standard FD, with added effects. The 3D is such a gimmick, and either worked very well or ****. I liked the way it put people in perspective in comparison to closeness to camera, and some of the blood shots and title smash was amazing.

Did I mention that 3D sex scenes are amazing ;)

It was ok.

6.5/10

Pleasantville

Saw the first 7ish mins in Film today, and wanted more. So watched it round Martyn's. It was quite good, not as high as my expectations were, but certainly one to watch if you find it in HMV for 3 or 4 quid.

Not as good as the amazing Trueman Show though....

8/10

Dave

CF Legend
I've been watching some movie trailers of late and specifically Alice in Wonderland which does look to be very good and I hope it keeps to the surreal nature of the story, but I am really hoping that it isn't just going to revolve around Johnny Depp being the Mad Hatter....as frankly that miss the point of it being Alice in Wonderland....not Madd Hatter meets Alice in Wonderland.

Ollie

CF Legend
Dead Space: Downfall:
Average film but it's more just to fill in more of the story for the game. It's cool how it's all animated and it's very gory but it doesn't work as a standalone film.
The good thing is though that you don't have to have played the game to watch it because it's a prequel. I still wanted to complete the game first anyway though so I could see if there were any links (there were a few).
So yeah. Only really good for fans of the game but even they might not find it that good.
6/10

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTFcsnY9S4[/youtube]