What's new

"Now Showing"

Re:

Man of Steel

nadroJ said:
Man of Steel was such a disappointment! Overuse of terrible CGI, too much lens flare, the fight scenes were too long and I kept expecting the villain to break out into Sweet Home Alabama.

Glad I saw it but hardly the amazing epic it's being made out to be.

This.

Jeez how many buildings are you gunna fly through and smash, it really gets old after you do it a million times.

Also the way the film was layered was weird, it jumped straight from the pre-story to Superman being grown up and on a boat for no apparent reason but OH LOOK THAT OIL RIG IS BURNING DOWN HOW CONVENIENT. How did he know to be there?? I don't follow superman so much, but I didn't think he could predict the future.. And then how did he know to be in the Arctic to discover the space ship thingy that explains his existence and has his suit in? FLAWED

Also, it never explains why Superman can fly? It's all like 'THE GRAVITY IS DIFFERENT ON THIS PLANET SO YOU'RE SUPER STRONG' but it never explains why he could suddenly fly? I didn't know that less gravity means you can fly?

Still, better than a bunch of the other Superman films, so yeah.

After Earth

Ehh, it was pretty good looking, but did just seem like Will Smith wanted a film to push his son onto us.

So these people live in a super advanced place with sails on the buildings for some reason and spaceships, but there's been no advance in prosthetic limbs?
Also, it mentions that an Alien race dropped the big bad fear smelling monsters to attack us, but then just brushes past who or what this hostile alien race actually is.

Overall a pretty film, just seemed to push into a world without enough establishment.

Fast 6

WHY.

Summed up by this:

pod7kph.jpg

Man of Steel

Absolute garbage. Anyone who thinks it was anything other than that is clearly so dumb that things going smashy-smashy for two hours is enough to keep them entertained.

The script/dialogue was atrocious, and there was absolutely zero in the way of character development. Are we really supposed to care, for example, about
some random bint from the Daily Planet being trapped after a building collapses when we've seen basically nothing of her before that? And wasn't it so emotional when Kevin Costner died after being on screen for all of five minutes previously?

It's 2013; we get it with the CGI now. We know what it can do and how impressive it can look. We don't need to be bombarded with it, at the expense of an actual story, for an entire film any more. The big fight at the end - I say end when it actually took up the last hour - was major, major overkill and was just **** ing boring.

The whole thing was just incredibly soulless. Leave the "dark" superhero thing for the Batman films. Superman has always had a bit of humour to it before. I don't mean as in all-out comedy, but as in a kind of campy, tongue-in-cheek quality to the whole thing. This was just taking itself way too seriously, and it didn't work.

It's not a superhero film; it's one of those overdone end-of-the-world/armegeddon films, and we've had more than enough of those thanks. Independance Day was really, really impressive to look at in the mid '90s. We really don't need to see yet another rehash of that, which is all Man of Steel actually is.

At least Henry Cavill is nice to look at I guess, but that's the single redeeming feature this piece of **** actually has.

I watched [strike]X-Men Origins: Wolverine[/strike] Man of Steel yesterday and thought it was okay for a brains at the door summer blockbuster type of thing.

I was shocked to find it was an over the top alien disaster movie rather than the paint by numbers super hero flick with flat characters and dreadful back stories that gave useful character flaws and insights into the workings of a super hero.

It entertained me for a while, though the entire last half an hour big baddy Vs Supes fight was a chore. I did also sometimes think I was playing Gears of War too. But yeah, it was entertaining enough, big, bold, ridiculous, no brain required stuff. Better than any of the Marvel tosh in the last couple of years, but that's not really saying much.

Also watched Total Recall over the weekend (the remake). Again, just no brainer action flick. Didn't have the "charm and character" of the Arnie rubbish, but I like the basic story idea. I am becoming dull to huge set pieces as a finale though and if I see another giant machine explode I'll probably kill somebody - sadly after Superman yesterday, there's one less person in the world.

So yeah, adequate nothingy film. I think Gavin's right here:
It's 2013; we get it with the CGI now. We know what it can do and how impressive it can look. We don't need to be bombarded with it, at the expense of an actual story, for an entire film any more.

Where are the intelligent action films..? Like maybe Robocop :lol:

I've watched an absolute **** ton of movies recently.

World War Z

Planned on not seeing it, but ended up seeing it because I was curious. Lots of friends who loved the books, swore off the movie because of changes and Brad Pitt, ended up seeing it (why am I not surprised) and loved it, so I said why not.

First 100 minutes are very suspenseful, couple jump moments, and just a solid movie. Then the last 10 took it from a really good movie to an ok movie. To say it's even the same thing as the book is a joke, as they changed everything from when it takes place, to the characters, everything. I know they did it this way so they could end up making a sequel and milking it for every penny they can.

7/10

Monsters University

Pixar creates glorified ****, said it for years, with an occasional good movie mixed in. Essentially this is Cars 2 in terms of the moral and the way it goes, but it's executed better because people won't get annoyed by Larry the Cable Guy. It's better than Cars 1/2, Brave, Wall-e, Ratatouille, and Bugs Life, but still falls way behind the upper tier of Pixar, which are quite good. It will win every animated award because of it's name, just like Brave.

7/10

Mighty Ducks trilogy

LOVED THESE as a kid, and I just cracked up while watching them recently. Just ridiculous kid movies, but fun to watch.

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Spicolli, cheesy music, no story, just randomness. Classic.

Heavyweights

Another one from childhood that had me cracking up.

Saving Private Ryan

Hadn't seen it in a few years, still as amazing as I remember.

Magic Mike

Wife wanted to watch, I made it halfway before I had to leave, not because of the movie, but because of how poorly it was filmed, edited, it was cheap and it looked it.

Independence Day

Currently watching, 90's graphics that I'm so happy weren't redone in 3D like they planned. Good movie and I'll be interested to see what they have for the 2 sequels coming out.

I think that's it? Daytime TV really blows.

Continuing my adventures in Ghibli with Pom Poko (English dub).

It's about a bunch of raccoon dogs who are pissed off that the forest where they live is being bulldozed to build houses. They have the ability to transform themselves into anything they like, which they use in various ways to attempt to save their habitat. The males also have MASSIVE BOLLOCKS which they can also transform into various things.

That makes it sound quite preachy, and like a Greenpeace appeal video. I guess it is in a way, but there's so much more to it than that. The sense of humour throughout is just brilliant. It's hilarious. The whole tone of it is totally different to something like Totoro, but again it's just the right amount of weird. Yes, the whole concept of the thing is totally messed up, but if you accept that, then the story is incredibly easy to follow - especially when compared to something like Howl's Moving Castle.

In summary - LESSTHANTHREE

Monsters University - Not as good as the first one, but I laughed and enjoyed myself for the whole duration of the film, and therefore I thought it was great. Not a Pixar great maybe, but still an excellent film.

Star Trek Into Darkness - Keeping this one short, but I thought this was pretty good too. Didn't have traditional goodie/badie plot, and I enjoyed the special effects. Overall, great. Glad I went to see it in the cinema too, the sound was pretty nice.

Had a couple of films from Lovefilm I watched over the weekend.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (or whatever).
Ridiculous premise and a ridiculous film to go with it, but it worked as a kind of "stupid comic on screen" kind of thing and was fantastically entertaining. Yeah, complete and utter mindless trash, but done well enough to pull it off. Put it alongside stuff like Taken and it stands up pretty well in that action genre actually :lol: 8/10 for mindless entertainment, 10/10 if you like vampires and beards.

Judge Dredd (The new one).
Dreddful (ahahahahaaa), but very pretty film. It didn't really deliver in terms of scale or anything. It was just a "quick, knock out an action film" affair which was watch-able enough, but was really just lots of shooting in dark corridors. At least there's wasn't a huge end set piece with a massive building exploding or anything (they had that in the middle instead). Competent, but nothing compelling - the slow mo' bits were fantastic though, so pretty - an overused one trick pony sadly. 6/10

Re: "Now Showing"

Watched the Deer Hunter for the first time the other night.

What can I say other that I will never get that 2.5 hours back again.

It was well filmed etc but so boring and just all over the place. How its a classic film I will never know.

0/10

Monsters University

Awww, it was actually so cute. It was a decent movie made even better by the nostalgic value. Made me feel a bit old knowing most of the kids there weren't even born when the first one came out. But yah, the movie made me smile a lot and had a ton of really cute characters. Worth the wait for sure.

7.5/10

Yeah, I watched that when it released Tay and it's not even like "it's aged badly" - it was always a complete turd.

Speaking of turds, I watched Battleship last night. OMG - I was expecting it to be dreadful, but cheesy and fun, but it was just abysmal. I... I just can't believe I put myself through it.

The only redeeming feature was that based on a tedious game, my expectations were very low.

I only wanted to watch it see if they ever shouted "They sunk our BATTLESHIP!". Beyond that, I saw nothing worthwhile from previews.

Recent movie Ive watched? Bear City. I dont remember if I posted about it before but its a stereotypically gay Rom-Com set within the Bear subculture. I find it funny and enjoyable, so I watch it as a quick boredom fix. Some other mo's find it offensive somehow, and claim it to be "too gay" for their liking (which **** confuses me) and claims its too stereotypical ontop of that (again...confusion). So yea, not everyones cup of tea I s'pose.

World War Z

I had some Odean points that were due to expire at the end of the week, and this looked like the least **** thing to spend them on.

I'm glad it was free. There are just not enough zombie apocalypse films and tv shows. What's the **** point of this one? It adds absolutely nothing new.