What's new

"Now Showing"

gavin said:
The Cabin in the Woods

A great idea that they didn't really run with enough in my opinion. There was far too simplistic a plot with little back story or real explanation. Elements of the concept itself, while not enough was done with it, were quite clever though.

Worth a watch.

I really enjoyed it, but you're spot on. It just never quite achieved the full potential that it tried to build. Great fun, but ultimately a very shallow film pretending to be much deeper than it was (oh, hello Josh Wheedon ;) ).

I got to watch Hotel Transylvania on Saturday (speaking of shallow). It's by the numbers computer animated near-tosh (see also Cars 2, Monster Vs Aliens, Magamind, etc). Bland plot that's telegraphed from the start, simplistic characters and character development. Just bland, bland, bland.

However, the references to the classic horror characters are great. There are some excellent little "guffaw" moments here and there and it's generally inoffensive (unless one of your family members has been recently killed by a Hollywood monster). It's just, so... BLAND. It's so nothingy and forgettable. I remember laughing, but I have no idea what at now. Everyone already knew this from the trailers though I'm sure - you get the idea just from two minutes.

And why, just why, the songs? It ends with the monster all rapping with auto-tune turned up full in a style that's already embarrassing now in an attempt to engage with "the kids" that in five years time will make you want to scream it's so dated. It's like they know it's trash and why even bother making something potentially timeless?

So bland, forgettable, but the hour and a half will fly by and you'll not be bored. You'll just not want to experience it ever again.

The Hobbit

Yeah, it's bloody awesome. They used the same music motif's from LotR which made me happy, right balance of drama and action, spectacular rolling landscapes, etc, etc.

The only let down, in my opinion, was at times it got a little too silly, especially with the 'look' of some of the bad guy characters (goblins, etc). It all went a bit Brian Froud, and whilst I'm usually a big fan of that kind of fantasy style in the Middle Earth landscape it just didn't fit and seemed to make light of what is technically a more serious subject matter. Yes, The Hobbit is *sort of* a LotR for beginners, but the slapstick and jokes in the middle of serious battle scenes didn't quite cut it for me.

Still awesome though.

^How was it visually? A lot of people have complained about it giving them headaches since they used a different fps rate than most films. Trying to figure out if it is a real issue, or if it is people just talking out their ass like they typically do.

Plan on seeing it tonight either way. Still pissed that it is split into three movies though...so dumb.

I genuinely didn't notice a difference in FPS rates, it was visually splendiferous, really a sight to behold, maybe slightly heavy on the CGI and some of the camerawork was a little frantic, but it worked to the film's advantage I would argue.

You DO notice it for about 5 minutes, but your brain adjusts almost instantly (in the same way that adapts to corrective vision with glasses or contact lenses). Some of the backgrounds in the first couple of panning shots were a bit merged (or so it looked), but then it was stunning. To me it speaks volumes when once again the only thing critics can fault it for is length and frame rate lol. I personally love that they gave the set up the time it deserved.

I mostly agree with Jordan. The film is STUNNING and every bit the movie I've spent 9 years waiting for! Where I differ on opinion is the humour, which was dwarf driven primarily and that's fine. Because they're silly - as is the book, it's a children's book lest we forget.

I look forward to the following two films. And I'm glad they split it into 3 films, means they can do the story justice and even expand on Tolkein's related works - like Radagast. The Lord of the Rings was FAR too short and missed out so much.

LOTR sucked, I can't see the Hobbit being any better. The only thing that intrigues me (because of my job) is the 48fps. Probably won't bother.

I saw Gremlins the other night at the cinema with Mr Benin. It was fantastic to see it on the big screen, I always forget how long it takes to get into it. But once the Gremlins appear it's all brilliant. Love it.

nealbie said:
The Lord of the Rings was FAR too short and missed out so much.

:shock: :shock: :shock: You have all three of the extended versions at 4 hours a piece and you say they are FAR too short???? You crazy crazy child. I seriously struggled with the extended versions as they were, any longer and I may just have pulled out my own eyes with cocktail sticks as an excuse to get out of watching them.

Don't get me wrong, I do intend to give them another go, but I would actually really like to see the non-extended versions to see if I enjoy them more once they cut out all the stuff that only works in the book. For me, the extensions are proof of why books don't always work as direct translations and why editors exist. :)

Anyways... I recently sat and rewatched The Dark Knight Rises again... twice...
Ironically, I actually enjoyed it more at home than I did at the cinema, which is saying something, because, actually I throughly enjoyed it at the cinema! I felt that at home on a smaller screen I could see, capture and be part of all of the action and the nuances that got a little bit lost on such a huge screen. For me, it definitely finished the Dark Trilogy in very good fashion as an entire story. Granted, Batman shouldn't really ever 'end'. He should never truly hang up the cape and cowl but in movieland, you need to have a solid ending and in terms of this film series. It gave me that ending. I think what Nolan wanted to portray was to imagine a world where DC decided to bring the Batman/Bruce Wayne story to an end. How would they do it? How could you make it so that Bruce Wayne could no longer want nor need Batman. Nolan managed it really well and so yes, for me. It really is a brilliant film.

peep said:
LOTR sucked, I can't see the Hobbit being any better.
This

I just sat all the way through Girls Just Want to Have Fun. It's hilarious in a cheesy "OMG, did people actually dance like that in the 80s?!" kind of way. Much like Captain Eo is. The "seamless" transitions between SJP and the stunt double are also pure comedy. Apart from that though, there's literally nothing to it. Mildly enjoyable.

LOTR didn't suck, you could say boring or way too long, but hard to say it sucked with all the awards it won.

Hobbit

I won't buy this movie when it is released on Blu Ray, but I plan on seeing it again tonight and then maybe next week. Saw it in IMAX High Frame Rate 3D and all I can say is wow. Visually, while the CG was a little too much at times (not MIB3 bad, but it wasn't seemless that's for sure) it was one of the better movies I have seen in a long time. I immediately noticed a difference in the color and the look of the film. It looked, fresh for a lack of words. It was kinda like going from a black and white TV as the only form of TV you watch, to seeing ultraLED TV's that are starting to come out now. The difference was substantial. Don't understand how people said it was nauseating, because it wasn't at all.

I know at least in the US, they are stating which ones are 48fps and not for 24fps, but it needs to be seen in the right format. I was very upset when I heard this was going to be 3 films, but after seeing how it worked, I can't wait for the next two. I'm eating my foot for that comment.

9/10

The Hobbit is a young adult/kid book, so it is a much lighter toned movie with more joking in it. It is a good movie to say the least. But if you hated LotR, probably wouldn't want to waste your time as it is the same theme basically. Granted there is more action in this movie than all three Lord of the Rings movies and it's (only) 2 hours and 40 minutes or so. Much easier than 3.5 hours that is Return of the King.

Mark said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: You have all three of the extended versions at 4 hours a piece and you say they are FAR too short???? You crazy crazy child. I seriously struggled with the extended versions as they were, any longer and I may just have pulled out my own eyes with cocktail sticks as an excuse to get out of watching them.

Don't get me wrong, I do intend to give them another go, but I would actually really like to see the non-extended versions to see if I enjoy them more once they cut out all the stuff that only works in the book. For me, the extensions are proof of why books don't always work as direct translations and why editors exist. :)

When you produce a film version that is so accurate and so sympathetic to the source material though, then it does work. LOTR got the book pretty much nailed, which is incredibly rare. As the books have such a huge following, it panders to them directly and hopes to scoop up a few other on the way (as it did me). I think sometimes there is an argument for doing it, if you're doing it right. Wouldn't you love to see Harry Potter in its complete form Mark? All those little subtleties that really give the world and characters depth that is missed? I think especially in numbers 3 and 4 which both skip a lot of stuff.

Anyway The Hobbit. Snow White meets Bad Taste and doesn't bring along an extra cushion. Butt cheek numbingly excellent though. CGI was a bit too CGI at times, but generally the film moved at a much better pace than I imagined, I loved the ridiculous, comedic quality of it (the dwarf song and dance routine with the cutlery was fab) and I really enjoyed the way it would contrast between dark and light. A few burdenous moments, but really good overall. Sound was superb and the subtle linking to LOTR was brilliant, though it was all a bit Star Wars Episode 2 and Count Dooku for a few minutes ;)

Hobbit feet have improved no end too over the years :p

My biggest issue - apart from the "rickety bridge surfing" - is Martin Freeman. At times, he really captures Ian Holme and is a believable "Bilbo". Then he does his Martin Freeman mugging face thing and he's just Tim from the Office/Arthur Dent/Martin Freeman.

Mark said:
Anyways... I recently sat and rewatched The Dark Knight Rises again... twice...
Ironically, I actually enjoyed it more at home than I did at the cinema, which is saying something, because, actually I throughly enjoyed it at the cinema! I felt that at home on a smaller screen I could see, capture and be part of all of the action and the nuances that got a little bit lost on such a huge screen. For me, it definitely finished the Dark Trilogy in very good fashion as an entire story. Granted, Batman shouldn't really ever 'end'. He should never truly hang up the cape and cowl but in movieland, you need to have a solid ending and in terms of this film series. It gave me that ending. I think what Nolan wanted to portray was to imagine a world where DC decided to bring the Batman/Bruce Wayne story to an end. How would they do it? How could you make it so that Bruce Wayne could no longer want nor need Batman. Nolan managed it really well and so yes, for me. It really is a brilliant film.

Finally got to watch it and I'm sad I missed it at the cinema now. However, after the disappointment of The Dark Knight and Inception, I just didn't have enough faith in Nolan to give me the desire to make the effort to see it (when there wasn't anyone else I knew around here who also wanted to see it).

It's a very slow and deliberate film, but I didn't find that detrimental. Unlike The Dark Knight, it may have been long, but it never felt anything was superfluous (in fact, it so rapidly washed over the whole Harvey Dent thing and gave it so little importance, it makes The Dark Knight even more irksome). I guess that the entire Catwoman sub-story could have been cut out, but sometimes when there's good film making and story telling going on, you don't mind - it integrated into it, rather than feeling "tacked on".

I thought Bane was excellent and I didn't really struggle to understand him - really solid bad guy. The story was deep enough to be interesting, but it wasn't pretending to be clever (like The Prestige or Inception - which pretended, but were actually **** ). It was just a really good super hero film to watch and Nolan captured the essence of Batman Begins again only made it grander and better. It DOES miss a really strong character like The Joker or Scarecrow (like, the proper Scarecrow), but the film is allowed to shine through a little more because of it.

So yeah, really enjoyed it, it appealed massively to the Batman and film fan in me.

Also got to see Skyfall at last. Superb stuff. I think Craig is an excellent Bond and he's finally been given a film to show it. A perfect meld of the new, harder, darker Bond we've seen in the previous two outings, but with the story telling and feel of the older, classic Bonds. All the strengths of old and new, but without any of the cheese or pedestrian-ism.

And talking about pedestrian, also saw Rise of the Guardians. It's a kids film, and it's Dreamworks. That means over sentimental tosh, with a few little giggles here and there and the kids pleased for an hour and a half. Nothing I'll be in a rush to watch again and it held few surprises. Jude Law and the Bogey Man was excellent though.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was great & I wish that Jackson could have given the LOTR trilogy the same treatment as the Hobbit is getting. Like furie, I didn't care for the "rickety bridge surfing", but I didn't mind Martin Freeman. However I've never seen him in anything before so he has a clean slate with me.
I only have one other minor grip & that's with the one line that didn't belong in the movie. It was when they were burying the treasure in the cave & one of the dwarfs says "This is a long-term deposit", which isn't Tolkienesque at all.
I really like the Gollum-Bilbo riddle game scene, which stuck with what's in the book & was pretty much what I envisioned when I read it so many years ago. Andy Serkis is amazing!
I saw the film in HFR IMAX 3D & had no problem with the frame rate & it looked absolutely fab.
Did anyone see the special 20 minute IMAX 3D preview of Star Trek Into Darkness? Amazing! I know where I'll be on 17. May. :wink:

ECG said:
I saw the film in HFR IMAX 3D & had no problem with the frame rate & it looked absolutely fab.
Did anyone see the special 20 minute IMAX 3D preview of Star Trek Into Darkness? Amazing! I know where I'll be on 17. May. :wink:

Yes, it was lonnngg. I hate those long previews, they're such spoilers <//3

Anyway, also saw The Hobbit. Loved it. Love the detail, it just had everything. So good.

I can't wait for the other two <3

LotR is awesome btw. Everyone who has said something else, is wrong.

I've watched a lot the last few days.

I re-watched Drop Dead Gorgeous on Saturday. I remembered it being hilarious, although I also remembered the ending completely wrong. I don't remember it being so... abrupt. The more I think about it, the more I'm sure I confused the ending with that of Miss Congeniality. Anyway. It's still fab. The abrupt ending is actually amazing. But then, I do love these "mockumentary" type things. and bitchy stuff.

On Saturday night, a bunch of CFers went to the Mean Girls Quote Along even at the Prince Charles Cinema in London. So Fetch <3

On Sunday I decided to continue with the 80s (see my previous post in this topic) and High School themes and watch Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I can totally see why teenagers at the time would've enjoyed it. Actually, for the same reasons why teenagers now may enjoy it. Basically there's lots of sex talk, drugs, and naked tits. Apart from that though, there's not a lot. I didn't really connect with any of the characters. In fact, the one I was most routing for was Mr Hand, and I'm sure that's the opposite of what's intended. It's also really predictable.
She gets pregnant
L'obv.

Today, I wanted meaningless, harmless, happy cheese, so ended up watching The Lizzie Maguire Movie It is pretty much as dreadful as it sounds. I remember quite liking the TV show (despite being "too old" for it at the time) although I never really understood why, and would definitely never have admitted to it. The film lacked a lot of the charm of the series, and resorted to a formulaic contrived plot. Mind you, I didn't expect anything else so, in that respect, it didn't disappoint.

Next up was Center Stage. It's one of these "Fame for a new generation" type films. It follows a group of students at a ballet academy. It was alright I guess, although it wasn't anything special. It was slightly less dreadful than I expected. Most of the dance sequences went on too long for my liking, although I suspect that the majority of the people who watch this film are dancers/dance fans so wouldn't mind so much. It's also pretty predictable. Although,
None of them get pregnant
I really thought they would.

Just got back from seeing Jack Reacher... Absolutely fantastic film, Tom Cruise was on top form too! Would recommend it for anyone.

It was engaging, thrilling and whilst the end was somewhat predictable, it still contained great suspense and drama whilst it was played out.

Granted, it's nothing like the book. But it's loosely taken a really good base and made a fantastic film out of it!

^Wow! I was expecting it to be absolute ****.
I've seen so many Tom Cruise films, but only liked a few - Rain Man, Eyes Wide Shut, Magnolia & Minority Report - so it'll be nice to add another to that list.

Yeah, same Jerry.

But, fortunately, it's nothing like the trailer.... They've clearly stuck all of the cheesy jokes into the trailer to pander to Tom Cruise's middle-aged women fanbase. But in context they're fantastic dry wit.

Just to throw in my views on The Hobbit, as I've seen it in 48fps 3D and 24fps 3D now (where the 24fps is a post-processed-down version of what they shot in 48fps but looks perfectly normal).

For me, the 48fps image is SO crisp and detailed that it shows up every photographic discrepancy and inconsistency between shots. So if they're cutting from a frankly awesome bit of CGI or landscape to a medium close-up of an actor, the shots mismatch so massively that it's like being smacked in the brain. It constantly took me out of the film.

I think for a film as technically difficult as this (the change to presenting different-sized actors in 3D alone was a big challenge, and there's no model-work anymore, it's all CGI), adding 48fps to the mix is a step too far, and as impressive as it was at times, it wasn't really necessary.

Conversely, 24fps is far more forgiving in terms of photography, so although these problems are still there they fade into the background more and have much less impact (for example you may still think the
"bunny chase"
sequence has some dire VFX, which is does, but at 48fps it's ludicrously bad).

On the artistic side, it does take waaay too long to get going, the Dwarves are mostly a bunch of caricatures, there's some dodgy writing and the tone is all over the place. But Jackson and Co. are trying hard to interweave it into their existing LOTR landscape (the
Council of Elrond
scene works well at that), and once they reach the
goblins
it really gets into its stride.

I liked Freeman too - a bit too much mugging maybe, but he does have excellent comic timing and manages to keep Bilbo afloat in a film which really should be called "Gandalf & the Dwarves".

I also managed to catch a preview screening of Life of Pi last week, and quite simply it's the best film I've seen all year. THAT'S how to use 3D, and it could probably have looked better at 48fps than The Hobbit does :).

nealbie said:
Just got back from seeing Jack Reacher...Tom Cruise was on top form. Granted, it's nothing like the book.
And therein lies the problem. I'm not a huge Lee Child fan, but I've read some Jack Reacher books and HE IS NOT TOM CRUISE. Cannot even bring myself to sully the weak attraction I have to the books by watching it - he's clearly in the wrong film and would fit better at 48fps :p.