What's new

NEMESIS: SUB-TERRA [Alton 2012]

Re: New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

^I agree, its like they had a whole shipment. It kind of fits this theme but definetly not th13636534)45845)5664teen, but saw fits it too.

blivvies biggest fan said:
^I agree, its like they had a whole shipment. It kind of fits this theme but definetly not th13636534)45845)5664teen, but saw fits it too.

Exactly, 'kind of' as in, they've cut corners and it sort of fits, but not really. It's just a cheap way of doing things, which is annoying because they could make so much more of it. Stupid Merlin.

Less money they spend on the shop, the more they have to spend on the ride? I like the containers anyways :).

^The whole ride is based on the theming? They obviously cut corners and really can't see that this will be worthwhile.

marc said:
Let's get facts correct here.

If Alton really cared about the story of Nemesis they would still play the main sound track but they don't.

I don't get what the fuss is with some small drop towers.

Whatever.
I always assumed that Alton no longer plays the narration because Nemesis' queueline isn't as long as it was when first opened. You're never in there long enough to appreciate the full story. I don't think it means that they don't care.

I think Extremis is a great little ride and IF the theming is done well, a similar ride would make a great addition to the area and a nice introductory ride for older kids. Surely the fact that Alton have revisited the Nemesis story after all this time is evidence enough that they hold it in high regard?

^ Or that they're being lazy?

I honestly don't think that a bunch of people sitting in offices give as much of a **** as some people would like to think they do.

^Exactly. At the end of the day, it's a business and thus their main goal is to maximise profits. The less money they spend, the more money they'll get back, which is a shame really, but if they can get away with it without people making too much of a fuss they'll do it.

True, but I like to think that the creative team employed by a theme park are not entirely driven by profit, and are attracted to the role with some sort of passion or artistic flare - even if the same cannot be said for the executives making the final decision

I reckon that what the creative team would like to d, and what we eventually get are two entirely different things, because of the way Merlin are prepared to spend their money, or more rightly, save it. I'm not saying they don't have a good creative team, I think they do, I just think they're not allowed as much flexibility as they should be.

Yeah I agree, but at the end of the day extending the Nemesis theme is something enthusiasts have been dreaming of for years. Merlin are attempting something that we might actually like for once, so maybe we should cut them a bit of slack...

I just think it's the easy way out to point and shout 'big corporate company must be doing this to line their pockets'. (Neither do I believe it's out of the pure kindness of their hearts. I’m sure the truth lies somewhere in between!)

New Indoor Ride for Alton in 2012

If they get it wrong there will be a lot of people not happy about it.

Sometimes it's best to leave stuff alone.

They already made a mistake using the Nemesis name for Inferno as that has nothing to do with Nemesis.

marc said:
They already made a mistake using the Nemesis name for Inferno as that has nothing to do with Nemesis.
It's stupid I know, but it does. The story is that the Nemesis at AT tried to escape, but when it did, it ruptured the earth (or something along those lines), and it created a crack/hole in the Earth and at the opening is Inferno at TP, hence to whole volcano thing.

That's what I heard. If I find a link to one of the places that I read it from I shall post it.

^ Whilst that does sound like a lovely story an all, I've never heard it before, or witnessed any form of 'storyline' at Thorpe.

Not saying you're lying or anything like that, just would be nice to see evidence of this at the park...

Inferno at Thorpe never had a storyline.

Just Sayyin'.

Ben said:
My original complaint was from when we thought the fake, fan-made plans were real.

The shipping containers as a shop are still upsetting because Merlin are literally doing that for EVERY new ride at the moment, and so it'll have the same shop as Th13teen. Which is lazy.

The US 'base' in Djibouti is almost 100% comprised of shipping containers.

Other US military facilities intended to be temporary have been made of them as well throughout the Middle East.

Shoot, the facilities in Kuwait at Doha were built in a large Self-Storage facility.

The GIB's from Vekoma have a shipping container under them that houses electrical and hydraulic components. The launch coasters by Zamperla house the launch mechanism in one.

Sure they're ugly, but they are cheap and useful.

I don't think they'd detract from a military theme in the least, and as I've been in the US Navy for 20 years, so I think I have pretty decent knowledge of that topic.

Mysterious Sue said:
marc said:
Let's get facts correct here.

If Alton really cared about the story of Nemesis they would still play the main sound track but they don't.

I don't get what the fuss is with some small drop towers.

Whatever.
I always assumed that Alton no longer plays the narration because Nemesis' queueline isn't as long as it was when first opened. You're never in there long enough to appreciate the full story. I don't think it means that they don't care.

I think Extremis is a great little ride and IF the theming is done well, a similar ride would make a great addition to the area and a nice introductory ride for older kids. Surely the fact that Alton have revisited the Nemesis story after all this time is evidence enough that they hold it in high regard?
I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the audio was never played in the queue.

Even if it was, I think it's very dated, too long and not appropriate for queue audio anyway. In a practical and creative interest over goony fanboyishness way, I'm glad they don't play it.

Ethan said:
marc said:
It's stupid I know, but it does. The story is that the Nemesis at AT tried to escape, but when it did, it ruptured the earth (or something along those lines), and it created a crack/hole in the Earth and at the opening is Inferno at TP, hence to whole volcano thing.

That's what I heard. If I find a link to one of the places that I read it from I shall post it.

I wrote a similar storyline on here years and years ago, a sort of what if they could go full-hog with a theme story.

I'm surprised that you would prefer the story not played in the Nemesis queue Joey. I've always thought it would be far better if they did play it.

In terms of the new ride... I can't seem to get past the meh feeling at the moment.

^ Yeah I understand... there is nothing at Thorpe which suggests this directly. Oh and one of the places I saw it is on Wikipedia, it's still there but obviously Wiki isn't the most reliable site out there :/