What's new

Lightwater Valley, New rides in 2011 (see page 7)

Ollie

CF Legend
I found Whirlwind fast. Although the cycle was insanely short and it only ran forwards. Not to mention they're still building it as you ride. The queue is just gravel and temporary fences you see outside clubs. And they were still spray painting the ride as we went on it.

ArronL94

Roller Poster
I have not been to LightWaterValley for about 5 years now, I would love to go back, I used to live in yorkshire, but I did not visit the park that often.. :evil:

shawnoc

Mega Poster
If this coaster does go ahead it will be a great addition to the park. At that price they would be silly not to seriously look into getting it installed. Planning pending I assume.

I would like to see place where Supa Loopa used to be as it would look class with the trees surrounding it. If it goes on the site of the go-carts then it will stick out like a saw thumb. Also this would make a good spot for a major flat ride.

Things could be looking up for Lightwater. Good on them.

Martyn B

CF Legend
The biggest problem I have with LVW is that there's not enough rides that I'll go on. I know what I'll ride before getting there, its the same on most visits. I'll ride the Eagles Claw, the Rat, the Rapids and Falls of Terror, all once probably, and the rest of my time there will be spent on the Ultimate.

Not much appeals to me at Lightwater, and I dont know why. But this coaster would, it would go on the list of the rides I'd ride once probably.

Oh, and I cant believe the Lightwater fanboys would rather this coaster then the Fabbri Mistral, I think they look quite funky.

p23680.jpg

marc

CF Legend
That looks quite good tbh, it does not invert though and tbh that is probably a one ride ride as well.

CMonster

Giga Poster
Is that even a loop or just an overbanked turn? From the vid, it didn't seem like you went upside down that much.

Oh, and, contender for slowest lift, anyone? :wink:

marc

CF Legend
Ok after seeing that POV I am very happy the park did not got for it.

They would have 2 rides in the park with the slowest lift hill :) Plus that thing looks rough.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
^^ Overbanked turn.

Well, it does seem very family friendly, but on IMDB it lists the G-force as 4.5, which is quite something for that lil' thing :p

Would rather have the other coaster tbh...

T0M

Hyper Poster
CMonster said:
contender for slowest lift, anyone? :wink:

Yes, would beat the Ultimate in that category. Would give the park a reputation for such things.

Stick with the Vekoma and lets have that timeless moan of the lift hill and thunderous roar of the coasting filling the Valley.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
ciallkennett said:
Well, it does seem very family friendly, but on IMDB it lists the G-force as 4.5, which is quite something for that lil' thing :p
Hmm, I'm always dubious when it comes to these G-force stats. I'm not saying that they are deliberately bigged up or anything, but they are usually just flash in the pan. Maybe it's just me but I rarely notice g-forces nowadays, perhaps I'm oblivious to them.

Take Knightmare at Camelot for example. Everybody w0w3d about that being 5g's, but did I feel it? Hardly. Did it make the ride any better? No.

It's horse for courses. This relocated coaster isn't enough for me to beat down a path to Lightwater Valley for opening day. I will go back next year to ride it (and to see the rethemed Rat), but it's not appealing directly to me. I'm sure there are people out there - mainly local people with young kids - who will be there on opening day excited to ride it though!

As I said before, any investment can only be a good investment even if it is at a slow, unsure pace. :D

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
I don't understand why rethemeing the rat was a "step in the right direction". It was a waste of money for a park, in my opinion. What does it achieve? Everyone who visits LWV lives locally and most know the park to some extent, none of the visitors are going to be fooled into thinking this is a new attraction and it's not going to attract anyone from far afield.

As for the Go Karts. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but were they not free? Of COURSE they cost a lot to run, because Lightwater Valley was the ONLY park I've ever been to with free Go Karts. They don't have an ounce of sense. But instead they remove them?

This new coaster IS a step in the right direction, but that doesn't change the fact that they've been pissing away funds for years, the management don't have a clue.

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
the go Karts should either be sold, or put in cold storage to come back as a paid attraction in maybe five years. For pity's sake tho' don't put the new ride on the course - use it for a pedal kart track in the meantime. The new ride, whatever it proves to be would be best served on the unused land in front of the wave.

From the just the flavour of Nathan's initial post btw I get the impression that the park intends a double whammy of rides next season, a coaster, and probably a decent leased flat. One day, they'll stick in the Horrible Histories themed ghost train that the need... :idea:

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Joey said:
I don't understand why rethemeing the rat was a "step in the right direction". It was a waste of money for a park, in my opinion. What does it achieve?

Gives the park one of the most unique and enjoyable ride experiences in the country? The Rat was 22 years old, it needed a change, but the park knew that closing such an iconic and already well themed attraction would be a total waste.

Raptor Attack is quite frankly brilliant; I'd question a budget of £500,000 would get the park anything near as impressive.

Joey said:
As for the Go Karts. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but were they not free? Of COURSE they cost a lot to run, because Lightwater Valley was the ONLY park I've ever been to with free Go Karts. They don't have an ounce of sense. But instead they remove them?

Because charging for them goes against what they stand for. Forgive them for not actually wanting to squeeze another £3 out your wallet...

They're a popular attraction but the running costs continue to rise due to fuel duty. Again, I'd question the decision to ask guests to cough up an extra £3 (that's £12 for a family of four, on top of the £66 admission fee) would go down well after they've been enjoying the attraction at no additional cost for over 20 years.

Joey said:
the management don't have a clue.

Make sure you let them know that next time you guys ask for ERT. :)

slappy mcguire

Mega Poster
THE Valley Mania trip in the spring was an eye opener; you got the understanding just how badly the accident, holiday village refusal and the building of the ultimate had crippled the park. Anyone with a long memory will remember how good LWV was in the early nineties, compared to just how bad Flamingoland was.

Mingo the merciless, from the installation of Magnum force started a period of gradual reinvention, that I suspect that LWV may be keen to follow (doubling FL's attendances over a roughly ten year period), and ultimately there has to be a degree of blood-letting with the advent of better attractions; the karts are a dinosaur of the early days of the park, and simply no longer practical.

The management of the park are not idiots, in the same way as Harry Redknapp wasn't a bad manager just because the sides he managed were scrapping for survival; funds and attendances go a long way y'know.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Mackem Lad said:
Gives the park one of the most unique and enjoyable ride experiences in the country?

Lol, that is such fanboy talk :lol:

Mackem Lad said:
Because charging for them goes against what they stand for. Forgive them for not actually wanting to squeeze another £3 out your wallet...

They're a popular attraction but the running costs continue to rise due to fuel duty. Again, I'd question the decision to ask guests to cough up an extra £3 (that's £12 for a family of four, on top of the £66 admission fee) would go down well after they've been enjoying the attraction at no additional cost for over 20 years.

Dont try and make them to me nice and considerate to their guests. They want them to spend as much money as they can. Why do you think pracitally every other park charges for them? And it doesn't have to be £3, it can be £2. Thats how much they are at Pleasurewood, and its £2 per kart, so if you go for the double seaters, its only £1 each.

However, I can see your point on having them free for 20 years, then suddenly chargin extra for them. They should keep them, and revamp them for next year, and stick a charge on them.

T0M

Hyper Poster
The karts are very old and the track is uninspired. They have done very well to remain free for 20 odd years, but it is now time they were retired with a memorial at the entrance a la Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

As for Raptor Attack, you need to try it, it's a completely different experience and the most I've ever jumped on a ride. The whole experience is quite literally unique in the world, as the Ultimate also remains.

A Vekoma Whirlwind painted bright yellow with Tesla coils on the station under the name of Thunderbolt would be an example of how easily a second hand ride can be themed and made a different experience such as Blackpool have done with Infusion.

Martyn B

CF Legend
but it is now time they were retired with a memorial at the entrance a la Corkscrew at Alton Towers.

Slighty different circumstances really. Corky became iconic around the Country, and made Alton what it is today. LVW's Go-Karts have just kept going for 20 odd years.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Martyn B said:
Lol, that is such fanboy talk :lol:

We'll see what the folks on Towers Times had to think.

I must say, Raptor Attack is incredible! I rode it for the first time yesterday, and thought that it was the best themed indoor ride (including everything the high-budget Disney have ever put together) that I have ever ridden. The photos on the previous page, whilst good, do it no justice.

I was quite impressed with Raptor Attack. The queueline theming is great and really helps build up the atmosphere. Although the actual ride isn't the best coaster in the world, the animatronics are good.

I completely agree Vik! Raptor Attack was brilliant and Whirlwind was good.

This is all stunning. It's hard to believe this is the same park that just buys nackered second hand traveling rides and plonks them on a concrete slab.

After that, we went on Raptor Attack. The theming is excelent, they really have made an effort with it, and they should be really proud. It's not all bad, as it's fantastic! 10/10

Raptor Attack was hugely impressive given the (presumably limited) resources the park had. Really superb theming and effects. Bodes exceptionally well for the future.

Raptor Attack is now officially my favourite ride entrance! The theming really is top notch for such a small park and it has to be up there for the best themed coaster in the UK.

Newly-rethemed Raptor Attack was very impressive. The ride itself isn’t all that special, but the queue line and walkthrough are really well done, and the animatronics are impressive. Credit to LWV for pulling it off to such a high standard.

It's a brilliant improvement on the already good Sewer rat, and far exceeded my expectations. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come at Lightwater Valley.

LOL @ all those fanboys.