What's new

Lightwater Valley, New rides in 2011 (see page 7)

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Joey said:
Lets just face the facts, this park doesn't know what on earth it's doing and limited funds cause them to purchase quick fixes. The park is never going to be anything and it's a bloody shame that it's home to the Ultimate.

The facts are it fits their business model.

The park know fine well what they are doing. In a year which the holiday village is expected to finally go ahead, this is a great addition that fulfils a gap in the offering. Not to mention the departure of the Go Karts frees up a heck of a lot of money.

For a park that was buying Pinfari and Reverchon coasters not so long ago, this is a massive step in the right direction and IMO adds more to the park than another flat or water ride could ever do.

T0M

Hyper Poster
I think with their limited budget and desperate need of more roller coasters, I think it's a good buy for them. It does need a good paint job though.

Are these generally as rough as Corkscrews? I've never been on one but look forward to trying theirs out next year. Also hope they run it on two circuit mode.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
With the retheme of Rat and now this, they are clearly making tiny steps in the right direction investment wise. Hopefully over time it'll prove sucessful and they'll be able to invest big. It's great to see some vision for the park after years of being in the wildreness, even if it is a drip-drip effect.

Martyn B

CF Legend
So if I go back next year I will have the Rat, this and the Top Scan.

The TopScan is only there for this year (unless things have changed....)

Not to mention the departure of the Go Karts frees up a heck of a lot of money.

I was actually thinking the opposite. Aren't they a 'pay per ride' attraction? If so, seems quite odd to remove them.

And I dont really like their choice of location to be honest. I dont like that area of the park, its too 'RCT'-ie. So many rides crammed in that area, yet other area's have nothing.

They need to do something with the dead end of the park, by Trauma Tower. Either stick this new coaster there, or move the Twister there and put the new coaster in the Twisters place.

Ben

CF Legend
They're not rough because they don't DO anything. When you're going slower than Michelle McManus' metabolism it's hard to be rough. Just incredibly dull.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Just realised something, hopefully buying this will distract them from that horrific idea of ruining the Ultimate....

Inverse

Hyper Poster
Martyn B said:
I was actually thinking the opposite. Aren't they a 'pay per ride' attraction? If so, seems quite odd to remove them.

Go Karts were free.

I think this is a pretty good addition all things considered. It's not going to set the world alight, and it'll need a new paint job, but it's a larger format coaster to most they have.

I'm simply pleased that they're making progress and not stagnating like some other parks.

Martyn B

CF Legend
Inverse said:
Martyn B said:

Go Karts were free.

Well they should have given them an extra charge. I dont recall seeing any unpopular 'pay per ride' Go-Karts.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Charging for Go Karts goes against what the park stand for.

You're only going to agitate guests by asking them cough up an extra £3 for an attraction they've been enjoying at no additional cost for over 20 years.

Besides, it isn't CONFIRMED it will be coming just yet. There are other possibilities, this is just one of them.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
I think the coaster is great! Just what Lightwater needs - a "thrilling" ride which is tame enough for most of the family. Yeah, the coaster isn't great, but on the budget that they have had to work with, it's excellent!

Lightwater is a park with scarce amounts of attractions, granted, but the things they have been doing the past year to boost the line-up of rides has been very good.

Has it persuaded me to head back to Lightwater? No. But at the rate of improvements and additions that the park has been proposing, I doubt it'll be long before I head back up North.

Mackem Lad

Mega Poster
Charging for Go Karts goes against what the park stand for.

You're only going to agitate guests by asking them cough up an extra £3 for an attraction they've been enjoying at no additional cost for over 20 years.

Besides, it isn't CONFIRMED it will be coming just yet. There are other possibilities, this is just one of them.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Martyn B said:
Just realised something, hopefully buying this will distract them from that horrific idea of ruining the Ultimate....

Actually, this. I thought about it when I read the topic but forgot to say.

And the top scan's only there for this year? Damn, that was the best one I've tried.

T0M

Hyper Poster
Fantasy Island's go karts are pay per ride (not under the wristband system) and they are quiet.

Their top scan, The Beast, is as good as Whirlwind (LWV's current top scan).