What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Re: Kings Island | "Unknown" | "Unknown"

2012Jarrett said:
Yuck! I actually took a great picture of Kings Island that captures that on Diamondback's bunny hop into the final helix. How could I not think of that? I just thought that the force caused by the train in the pullout would be greater with the weight further out.

I sort of get what you're saying but I sort of don't. Are these formulas right? (I struggle with reading my problems in school and do much better when I can actually see it)

Let Ftrain stand for the centripetal force put out by the train when it goes through the pullout

Let Mrest stand for the mass of the train at rest.

Ftrain/Mrest=5 Gs

Correct? Sorry, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. I'm working on this degree to get a job in the amusement industry doing this and I want to make sure I know as much as I can about coaster physics ASAP.

Instead of mass of the train at rest, it's force of the train at rest. The train has a mass, but because gravity is acting on it, it is exerting a force on the track. Since it is at rest, the track is exerting an equal force back on the train. This is Newton's first law - equal and opposite reactions.

For example, say you have a train that, at rest, exerts a force of 10,000 Newtons (about 4.5 Newtons equals one pound). You also have a circular pullout, to keep things simple, that exerts a centripetal force on the train of 50,000 N (we will also neglect gravity to keep this very simple). Simply take 50,000/10,000 and you have your g-force.

Once you get into your hardcore statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials courses, this material will be a lot more clear. For now, it's best to stick to simple examples and certain concepts.

I start Statics on Sept. 23rd.

Somehow, I don't see us getting into rollercoaster physics right away.
;)

^Haha true, but you'll learn some concepts that can be applied to roller coaster design. For instance; trusses and moments.

Antinos said:
2012Jarrett said:
Yuck! I actually took a great picture of Kings Island that captures that on Diamondback's bunny hop into the final helix. How could I not think of that? I just thought that the force caused by the train in the pullout would be greater with the weight further out.

I sort of get what you're saying but I sort of don't. Are these formulas right? (I struggle with reading my problems in school and do much better when I can actually see it)

Let Ftrain stand for the centripetal force put out by the train when it goes through the pullout

Let Mrest stand for the mass of the train at rest.

Ftrain/Mrest=5 Gs

Correct? Sorry, I'm just trying to understand what you're saying. I'm working on this degree to get a job in the amusement industry doing this and I want to make sure I know as much as I can about coaster physics ASAP.

Instead of mass of the train at rest, it's force of the train at rest. The train has a mass, but because gravity is acting on it, it is exerting a force on the track. Since it is at rest, the track is exerting an equal force back on the train. This is Newton's first law - equal and opposite reactions.

For example, say you have a train that, at rest, exerts a force of 10,000 Newtons (about 4.5 Newtons equals one pound). You also have a circular pullout, to keep things simple, that exerts a centripetal force on the train of 50,000 N (we will also neglect gravity to keep this very simple). Simply take 50,000/10,000 and you have your g-force.

Once you get into your hardcore statics, dynamics, and mechanics of materials courses, this material will be a lot more clear. For now, it's best to stick to simple examples and certain concepts.

So f=mg? I understood that, and I understand simple things such as the equal and opposite reactions. If Ftrain is [TRAINMASS]*9.8, than Fn (force of the track pushing back up on the train) is the same. And when the train is exerting extra force caused by centripetal acceleration on the track, the track will exert a greater Fn because it has a thicker spine? Got it.

My thoughts were that a traditional coaster could have a shorter pullout than a wing coaster because the train mass would be greater because the load is further from the track, but I just spoke with my parents (both engineers) and they explained it to me. I learned something today! :)

rollermonkey said:

;)
Pfft, lucky you! :x I have to wait two semesters. :(

Antinos said:
^Haha true, but you'll learn some concepts that can be applied to roller coaster design. For instance; trusses and moments.
I think that coasters use a wide variety of physics, and both basic physics as well as advanced concepts are needed to design one. So if I know just basic stuff, I should be able to do some small things, but not the more advanced stuff.

Back to this, I think that this will be an inverted coaster called Banshee but with the "winging it" tweet there is a small possibility it will be a wing coaster. I would prefer a wing coaster, but I'd love an invert too.

2012Jarrett said:
rollermonkey said:

;)
Pfft, lucky you! :x I have to wait two semesters. :(

Back to this, I think that this will be an inverted coaster called Banshee but with the "winging it" tweet there is a small possibility it will be a wing coaster. I would prefer a wing coaster, but I'd love an invert too.

That will be my 5th quarter as a full time student, and I transferred in with something like 45 credits from over the years, so it's not really luck but just a matter of putting in the time.

As for Banshee/Bat, Cedar Fair is getting better at throwing out distractions. I think the video of the plans was legit, because that's too damn much work for a false trail. This screen cap of the web page could have been faked in 15 minutes, and the tweet could easily be a false lead. They did false leads for Gatekeeper last year, so I'd be surprised if they don't throw some out this year as well.

^They also did HUGE false leads for Shoot the Rapids. Anyone else remember the Whyte Lightning teasers?

I personally don't believe the blueprints leak. Am I the only one? Who the hell could've not only got access to it, but had enough time to videotape it extensively? You can hear people moving in and out of the room in the background in the video, is that not a giveaway to anyone else?

^ Shoot the Rapids wasn't a huge teaser per say, but there was an entire website established with Millennium Force logo-branded moonshine.

The blue prints are believable, as they are required by some local governments for proper zoning and building permits. They can be acquired by any U.S. citizen as they are a public document. Let us not forget that the Cincinnati Enquirer did their own records request and were able to secure the blueprints themselves as well.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2013 ... -Son-Beast

Verbolten's plans were leaked for a few days until BGW started firing off DMCAs at everything. Although there wasn't really an accidental leaking and misleading process like what Cedar Fair loves to do.

James City still gave out the blueprints to anyone who came to their building and asked, but if it got on the internet BGW wanted to burn it.

Time to put on my speculation spectacles, and throw up some theories:

What if we're seeing a half tease?

If Banshee is indeed the name, why make a convincing 'The Bat' logo? They already bought the rights for it (And I imagine that is expensive), so why do that and have it be another name?

Well, what if they plan on rethemeing the entire area? Maybe it's meant for another ride.

My theory points to flight deck. It's a terrible name for a fairly good ride, and the original bat was also a suspended. They just would need a repaint of the original trains and track. Maybe even get those new vekoma floorless trains. I can only base this idea from the fact that when I was at KI last, the logos from the front of flight deck was removed.

The same could be said for drop tower and invertigo. Standard ride names that could use a new theme. The whole action zone could use a face lift.

But that is just a theory.

Sent from Applejack while out and about.

Re: RE: Kings Island | "Unknown" | "Unknown"

What if The Bat is actually intended for a different CF park. Literally the only difference from that page is header and footer, and that would require basically zero work to switch it out.

I know 2 years ago a park was having discussions of adding one 2014-2015 plus that park has a large opening for something of the size needed.

Probably wrong as I thought it was a wing rider anyways, but there's a hunch.

Not sure if this is anything useful, but Cedar Fair has trademarked 'Amusement Dark'. Just not sure what for though...

With Errors theory, they could do an entire retheme into a haunted area and have it named that (a permanent halloween area perhaps?).

The only other thing that could be used for would be something like Hersheypark in the Dark, where CF turns off the lights for some of its attractions for a whole new ride experience. Ontop of that, I wouldnt know if it is for the entire company or a singular park.

Amusement Dark just sounds so awful. If they actually use that I might vomit.

Like I said, not sure what it could be used for, if at all. While a themed areas slogan sounds more likely for that, it still makes me think of Hersheypark in the Dark more than anything else.

Re: RE: Kings Island |

tomahawKSU said:
What if The Bat is actually intended for a different CF park. Literally the only difference from that page is header and footer, and that would require basically zero work to switch it out.

I know 2 years ago a park was having discussions of adding one 2014-2015 plus that park has a large opening for something of the size needed.

Probably wrong as I thought it was a wing rider anyways, but there's a hunch.
Naw, Don Helbig is the head of PR at Kings Island, and arguably the biggest roller coaster fan out there. He holds the world record for most rides on the Racer at 12,000 rides in 2012, and celebrated his 1,000th visit to the park in 2004.

Yeah, he's dedicated.

As a result, doing a teaser that strikes accord with Kings Island heritage is befitting. The Bat was a very beloved roller coaster that marked a large milestone in the park's history (it is, afterall, the reason why Kings Island turned the Racer trains around in the first place, to compensate for Bat downtime).

I am sticking with it being a red herring. Many amusement parks develop multiple names and themes for a single ride, to be finalized at a later date. Anyone remember the poll Hersheypark held for Storm Runner's name? http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/ne ... 3_01.shtml

"The Bat" name could have arguably been developed alongside Banshee, graphics and all, offering great fodder for a false alert. The "accidental" web leak as well could be pointing fun at Cedar Point's online mishap last year for Gatekeeper, when pages were published a week ahead of the announcement. http://www.coasterforce.com/news/1-late ... er-coaster

Maybe the whole Bat thing may have been a reaction to the "leak" of the rumoured inverted coaster plans. Oh well, only 24 hours until we find out now!

Which leads me to say - be sure to follow us on Twitter @CoasterForce and our Facebook page tomorrow night. I will be live posting from the announcement, with photos and video to follow.