What's new

Kings Island | Banshee | B&M Invert

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Camera4.jpg

Because someone had to start it!

Kings Island has officially cleared out Son of Beast, cleared the Go-karts in the Action Zone, and now word is coming in on the removal of the Action Zone water tower.

That means a lot of property just opened up at Kings Island for development.

I know I have previously posted a personal "ruberic" of rides required for every successful park - a cross analysis of rides typically found at major U.S. parks. I'll try to recreate that line-up here:

Mine Train
200 ft. Steel Coaster
Out-and-Back Wooden Coaster
Twister Wooden Coaster
Racing Coaster
Older Steel Multi-Loop Coaster (e.g. Arrow, Vekoma, Schwarzkopf)
Stand-Up/Floorless Coaster (can have multiples)
Flying/Winged Coaster (can have multiples)
Hybrid/Specialty Coaster (e.g. X2, a winged multi-looping steel coaster)
Launch Coaster
Shuttle Coaster
River Rapids
Log Flume
Splash Boat

Obviously this line-up will fluctuate between parks, and certain coasters can count for multiple genres (e.g. Xcelerator, a launched 200 ft. steel coaster) - but for the most part these seem to be characteristics found across the board for many park listings.

Therefore, what Kings Island is in most drastic need of is a true Inverted roller coaster. There is Invertigo, but that is more heavily considered a shuttle coaster than inverted. X-flight is a flying coaster, but very inferior to its B&M counterpart. With the removal of King Cobra, a Togo Stand-up, back in 2006, Kings Island opened up the market for getting a large looper with a unique riding style (e.g. floorless, inverted, etc.).

A large B&M Invert would fit very well into the park, and undoubtedly be an instant crowd pleaser.

A B&M Wingrider would be cool, but that would tread on the feet of Cedar Point up north. A dive machine would also be fantastic, but Cedar Fair has shied away from that design thus far.

As for a wooden coaster, it is hard to make the case - Kings Island already has Beast, one of the best wooden coasters in the world. And Racer is a solid racing coaster with a proud heritage. The greater need is for a B&M-like looper.

Let the discussion begin - you guys have two years, right? ;)

johhnyD1498

Mega Poster
Re: Kings Island 2014 Roller Coaster

A B&M looper would be nice, but it would be really cool if they took back 6 of the 7 records SoB held, but better, like an Intamin Prefab, and also take the steepness record. That would be really cool to do. But hey, it's my opinion.

Snoo

The Legend

I'd love a looper but with Vortex, even though it sucks, might be confuzzled.

I'd LOVE to see another Son of Beast tbh.. another big ol woodie that is actually designed right.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

It will probably fit at least two or three coasters if they are smart. That said, I would love to see an RMC coaster that took the place of Son of Beast, yet I am sure it would get confused for SoB, and that's not something the park would want. A longer Dive Machine would probably work, but they are extremely expensive. An invert would do great, but I think a floorless would be better since there aren't any real close, since Cedar Point has an inverted just down the road.

Intricks

Strata Poster

The most likely scenario is probably a mass of flats with a small Invert or larger multi-launcher (bigger than their current multi-launcher at least).

What I would personally enjoy would be a Beemer Inverted Multi-Looper that has a terrain portion after the MCBR.

That, or just a giant massive knot of steel, speed and inversions (large scale Maverick I guess) launcher that is just pure sex.

Maybe we can get a Dauling Dragons of our own? That High Five bit looks mass fun.

andrus

Giga Poster

A giga? I know it's a long shot, but Canada's Wonderland got one even thougn they recently got a B&M hyper as well.. And Kings Dominion got one, so maybe Kings Island is the next park in the chain to get one? Who knows! They have cleared a lot of land so it seems like they're preparing for something big. I don't know how their economical situation is though?

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I believe a Giga could be doable. Enough time has passed since Millennium Force, and we've seen Intimidator 305 and Leviathan as of late from Cedar Fair.

Snoo

The Legend

With that land? Possible. It is such a vast track.. much bigger then what MF or 305 are on.. they could do SO much.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

They need an Intamin Wooden Coaster. It needs to reclaim the tallest and steepest drop, but it needs to be designed correctly. It will also make up for all that hard work that Paramount spent designing and building it, even though Cedar Fair dosn't care. I'd like if they could afford a GCI that could interact with it too. That adds up to about 30 million US dollars, but how much money Cedar Fair hads been getting since Behemoth, Diamondback, Intimidator, Intimidator 305, and Maverick, it can be done.

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster

I think that a giga coaster will be the next coaster because Cedar Fair has built a lot of these and I think that Kings Island is the next to get one

_koppen

Hyper Poster

insanecoastervids said:
I think that a giga coaster will be the next coaster because Cedar Fair has built a lot of these and I think that Kings Island is the next to get one

It really depends on how popular Diamondback is. CW received Leviathan because Behemoth couldn't handle all the demand for it/was so popular, in peak days.

Personally I would love to see an Intamin pre-fab or a new RMC creation (the later most likely have a long waiting list).

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

I would love to see what was rumored for SFMM. A long, steel (maybe launches?) terrain coaster. having two of the longest coasters in the world would be a good thing to advertise.

As for what is plausible, I would think a small to mid size coaster (inverted?) and some flats.

coaster_rider93

Mega Poster

I agree with Youngster Joey, a long, launched, terrain coaster would be perfect. For some reason, I just do not think an inverted coaster would be something they would invest in. If it is not the above, I think a 300 footer is very possible. There is just too much land for it not to be.

njn63

Mega Poster

Doesn't Kings Island own a ton of undeveloped land in addition to what has been recently cleared?

edit: Per wikipedia, 364 acres out of 773 available developed.

Snoo

The Legend

I think it might be the largest in CF.. besides maybe KD.

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

_koppen said:
insanecoastervids said:

It really depends on how popular Diamondback is. CW received Leviathan because Behemoth couldn't handle all the demand for it/was so popular, in peak days.

Personally I would love to see an Intamin pre-fab or a new RMC creation (the later most likely have a long waiting list).

Dude Diamondback is more popular than Behemoth. :roll:

Snoo

The Legend

Diamondback is also the only line killer at KI. They definitely could use another new ride to kill large amount of people.

Behemoth couldn't handle all the demand for it/was so popular, in peak days.

I don't really see that as true. The queue area isn't big enough for peak days, but the ride handles it just fine because it has phenomenal throughput and great operations. That being said though, I'd love seeing a giga at Kings Island. Can't go wrong with another one of those!

Jason Voorhees

Hyper Poster

It's not everyday you can guess something for a park like a giga coaster and it being possible....