What's new

Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion Giga coaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldn't have put it better! Oh and i'm 5'5" incase you want to insult me in the future.

Well, you've got an inch/inch and a half on me :p .

Yah, people, stop worrying so much. Heck, even if you go get a bit of headbanging or neck chopping, we're not a bunch of wittle pooosiess, we can handle it.

tks

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Yah, people, stop worrying so much. Heck, even if you go get a bit of headbanging or neck chopping, we're not a bunch of wittle pooosiess, we can handle it.

I'm a wittle "poooosie" haha. I don't enjoy rides where i'm having to hold on to stop myself being thrown around too much. Me being of small stature and slight build probably doesn't help this but what can you do apart from put on a few hundred pounds, something which i'm not willing to do!

Also the ride mainly being fast turns doesn't really appeal to me either. It's all about personal preference remember people! :p

I'm a wittle "poooosie" haha. I don't enjoy rides where i'm having to hold on to stop myself being thrown around too much. Me being of small stature and slight build probably doesn't help this but can you do apart from put on a few hundred pounds, something which i'm not willing to do!

Haha, well I don't enjoy it in large amounts obviously (having the restraints be in the perfect spot to hit my ears, which have a lot of earrings, which in turn makes it hurt some more), but I can deal with it if it happens a few times throughout the ride.

CreditCrazy

Hyper Poster
Every review I've read is making me really regret my choice of New England over Virginia. I'm sersely thinking of changing my trip for this.

marc

CF Legend
Just watched the backwards POV, you can really see the airtime in that Robb's shoulders move up. There is one part where he really does get his head near enough out the train.

It does not really look a fun coaster if you know what I mean, but a coaster that will please people that like speed and high forces I really need to get over there :)

A

Anonymous

Today they had the trim turned on way more than yesterday. Second half of the ride was much more enjoyable. But the rest of the park was terrible considering they only had 1 train running on every other ride and 3 people each working the stations. So everything had a HUGE line.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
UC said:
I find with this restraint type...it's not bad at all if you adjust yourself to the turns.

Whether or not you feel that should/shouldn't be done to make a ride "good" is up to personal preference, but I don't mind.

The problem is, the Intamin transitions are usually so fast and snappy that you don't have time to adjust yourself to the turns unless you really know the ride. This looks to be one of those rides that'll be extremely uncomfortable for some people, when it really shouldn't be. I had the same problems with Stormrunner, and there's a reason I don't rank that ride particularly highly despite it having a pretty good layout.

jordN1414 said:
Today... the rest of the park was terrible considering they only had 1 train running on every other ride and 3 people each working the stations. So everything had a HUGE line.

jordN1414 said:
The station was nice. Staff not so much (They need some work).

Yeah, that's the Kings Dominion I remember. Seeing as this ride looks pretty uncomfortable and the operations were terrible when I visited in 2008, I've no desire to go back any time soon. Sorry KD, you need to do better than this if you want me to go back there.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
Today they had the trim turned on way more than yesterday

Well the brakes are fixed magnetic brakes, so they cannot be adjusted. Unless they've added more fins in the night! Which I guess isn't completely unreasonable.

But it's not a case of simply turning on more or less.

MouseAT

Hyper Poster
See, I understand that sometimes coasters are built and don't work out perfectly. Maverick's removed barrel roll is a good example. My issue is that Intamin must know by now that their OTSR design combined with these snappy elements is a problem - so why are they not doing something about it?

They build a major ride like this that they know is going to get international attention, and they don't learn from previous designs. We know that they CAN do transitions that don't hurt with those OTSRs, we also know there are plenty of other restraint designs that don't cause neck slashing or shoulder wrenching when they snap through transitions like this.

Take a design that's basically a drop, followed by a couple of airtime hills and a load of turns, build it in a park that I have a genuine dislike for and I'm afraid my reaction is "yeah, it's all right I suppose" at best. Add the neck slashing and snappy transitions and you've got a coaster that I'll probably only ever bother with if I'm more or less going straight past the park and don't have anywhere better to go. I doubt that was their intention.

Yes, I know, I'm probably not their target audience - but my point still stands.

RCF

Strata Poster
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPFQDiVqfHk[/youtube]

Really shows the true beauty of this thing.

A

Anonymous

I'm smaller than some riders, so I thought the transitions and turns might be uncomfortable with the restraints. However, they did not bother me at all.

There are definitely some intense moments on the ride, but it's incredibly smooth and glides over the track. My neck slightly tapped the restraint on the final transition before the brakes, but not enough to be uncomfortable.

Everyone getting off the ride seemed very satisfied with the whole experience. Also, the wait time was only 30 minutes and the crew was well organized.

Status
Not open for further replies.