What's new

Insane Flat rides

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I love the way Zippers look, but apparently they're horrendous to ride. I want to do one though, just because :)

I went to a fair many years ago for fireworks (Donington in Telford) and they had all of the best, hideous old school spin'n'spews. Zipper, High Roller and those loop things (single loop with a coaster train on it) and those are the ones I remember.

My GF at the time hated rides though so it would have meant doing them all on my own, so I didn't. I always regretted that, though having read reviews later possibly not.

They had a Zipper at Margate in 2006 when we had the CF Live there. Sadly it was seriously borked and waiting for parts to be shipped in. I think it got sold to somebody in Australia or something - we're still finding ways to treat Australia as a place to punish our ex-cons ;)

Mark

Strata Poster
furie said:
I love the way Zippers look, but apparently they're horrendous to ride. I want to do one though, just because :)

Yup totally vile to ride. I was 'lucky' enough to ride one at a local fair when I was about 12. At the time, anything that was new, or hadn't been on the line-up at the fair before was a must so I rode this. Back then I showed very little caution for what might make me feel sick ridewise. I learnt a valuable lesson. Honestly not sure if I could do one of these now. I know my tolerance of spinning is far less than it was ten years ago. Although, Marc really wants to do one of them so I probably would if the chance arose, simply to see his reaction.

I've also done one of those KMG thingies that was being talked about on Page 2. They had it the Irn Bru festival the first time I went and I agree Phil... VILE!

Talking of the Irn Bru festival, they had this in 2009

I am trying to find the video of another equally vom inducing ride they had at the Irn Bru from the first year we went as a CF: Live... Perhaps we really should do that again sometime...

EDIT - Whilst searching for that video I stumbled across this. Have you ever seen a topspin behave like THIS before... The real 'fun' starts around 30 seconds in...

owentaylor121

Giga Poster
Mark said:
EDIT - Whilst searching for that video I stumbled across this. Have you ever seen a topspin behave like THIS before... The real 'fun' starts around 30 seconds in...
Now let's show Alton how it's really done. 😉

Lofty

CF Legend
Painful?
I have to say, you're the first person to say that they're painful, I've heard nothing but good comments saying how fun they are!

I love the fact that it's surrounded by game machines at the bottom, it looks so ghetto Ha!

ava1enzue1a

Mega Poster
Ollie said:
Whenever someone mentions insane or crazy flat or fairground rides this always springs to mind.
[youtube]
^ That looks so cool :--D I probably could have taken a ride on that too if it's referring to the Kalamazoo in Michigan :p

Ollie said:
I love Tagadas. Never fallen off the seats before like in this video, but it always feels like I'm about to.
That looks... unsafe. I wonder of there ever being any bruises/sprains/bloody noses etc. on that thing.

Mysterious Sue said:
xkirstyx said:

never seen one like this
That is nuts! It's the Chance Zipper that unfortunately isn't in production any more.
Here, have an embedded version:

LOVE it. Never experienced it as anything "horrendous" though. Just a bunch of crazy somersaults. And I've never heard of it being referred to as a "giant chainsaw." Neato.

Now THIS one:

Tango/Equinox (I've also heard of it being called "Sky Trip"... nice name, eh?)

Insane! Being fastened to a giant mechanical "arm" that lifts you 70 feet off the ground, twirling you around through twists and flips in virtually every possible direction you can imagine. This includes tossing and pulling you through harsh negative g's that would seem to force the harness open, releasing you to plummet 7 stories back to the ground... yikes! At least that's what I was thinking - "omg... my HARNESS! PLEASE stay closed!"

PIC:

3910361959_854b48c455_z.jpg

VID:

Lofty

CF Legend
EQUINOX <3

Equinox is amazing, it can be pretty painful dependant on if you managed to shuffle your "bits" into a comfortable position before it starts ;)

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
The Tango was just an exercise in torture. Harsh metal OTSR and a sharpened bike seat - then it throws you around and attempts both castration and decapitation simultaneously. Horrid thing.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
furie said:
The Tango was just an exercise in torture. Harsh metal OTSR and a sharpened bike seat - then it throws you around and attempts both castration and decapitation simultaneously. Horrid thing.

Yep - if the ride doesn't get you, those seats will - talk about discomfort!

Lucy

Hyper Poster
I like Tangos too :) Initially I wasn't sure about them and thought what on earth were KMG thinking when they designed the restraints, however they've gradually grown on me and the last time I went on one, I had a rather good ride too :D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I suspect it may depend on how much weight you're carrying...

sean

Mega Poster
Equinox/Tango rides are great rides. I'm still perplexed as to how the restraint locking system works even though I once asked the ride op and he explained in full technical detail :p

Huss Frisbee....
Not just any Frisbee though....Pleasure Islands!

The last 20 seconds or so are immense and it spins ridiculously fast (almost like it's gone out of control). The ride is always run on an automatic program now, but a few years ago, the ride ops controlled it and made it spin this way for most of the ride :--D Hell yeah, I miss those days!! :lol:

Mark

Strata Poster
^ Aye, the one in Movie World in Germany was operated like that when I first rode it years ago. It was IMMENSE!

sean

Mega Poster
I've never been on a Gypo one at the fair though. I can imagine they run a Frisbee pretty good :--D