• Sometimes

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
EDIT- How is it any different to what Jordan said? She said she's extra attentive to tables she knows will tip, so if I'm extra attentive to people I know will tip me, how is it any different?

"Can I get a refill for you" table attention is a little different to "suck my nips" ;)

Seriously though, Jordan paying attention to a table is probably an extra couple of minutes over the course of the meal, it's not like, 20 minutes not doing her job to chat and get tips. Though it's obviously a very different job and very different working experience so they can't be compared.

nadroJ

CF Legend
furie said:
"Can I get a refill for you"

If I want tips I don't even ask if they want a refill, they're free, so I just put one down on the table and people go 'oooh! aaah!' like I'm a magical mind-reader or something.

Fridays have loads of theories and stuff, one of them is the half-glass theory, where if a guest has half a glass of drink left I'm meant to refill it. However, if I had half a glass of coke left and somebody plonked another whole one down in front of me, I'd just end up sitting finishing my first drink whilst the ice in the refill sat slowly melting away, and there's nothing worse than watery coke. So I tend to wait until I see them finishing up.

*Fridays geekery*

^ Good for you, haha! The other day I was at a restaurant with my mum, and I'm usually a pig with my pop because restaurants are the only place I ever drink it, so the guy comes along with a refilled cup for both of us and my mom only had a sip of her original pop. I was like, what's the point? Haha.

"Can I get a refill for you" table attention is a little different to "suck my nips"

Seriously though, Jordan paying attention to a table is probably an extra couple of minutes over the course of the meal, it's not like, 20 minutes not doing her job to chat and get tips. Though it's obviously a very different job and very different working experience so they can't be compared.

You clearly didn't read my whole post so I'm not even gonna reply.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
LiveForTheLaunch said:
You clearly didn't read my whole post so I'm not even gonna reply.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
yet I still spent a good 10-15 minutes talking to him and his friends.

I added 5 minutes for dancing. It's still 20 minutes you're not serving a drink but doing something for you, whether for personal pleasure or tips. Like:
LFTL said:
but if I spend ages dancing with you and talking to you and you buy a shot and are cheap about it, yeah I get annoyed.

It's very different to Jordan spending an extra couple of minutes making sure she passes a table extra times to ensure they're happy.

Hence I DID read you post and...
furie said:
Though it's obviously a very different job and very different working experience so they can't be compared.

Made sure that I pointed out that fact.

You're just in a nark because you can't keep up with me taking the piss and being serious :p

Smithy

Strata Poster
I did chuckle at complaints in here about being handed a small tip. So what? It's free money, you get paid to do your job and a tip is a bonus/reward, regardless of the amount you should be grateful. But then I'm tight with my money.

Smithy

Strata Poster
audience.gif

Smithy, anyone who works in customer service will tell you that being handed ten cents is the most insulting thing someone can do. Either tip properly, or don't tip at all. I don't want your crack change thank you very much :p .

Furie, I know you take the piss, but it's like EVERYTHING I post now has the piss taken out of it and it's just beyond annoying now. Not just from you, but from everybody. Part of my job is having to interact with people to get tips.. Everyone who works as a shooter girl knows it. I'm proud of myself for working two jobs and going to school full time including pilot school now on top of everything. My hobbies are expensive, and I like getting a bit of recognition for doing a good job. I don't see how it's a crime.

Smithy

Strata Poster
LiveForTheLaunch said:
Smithy, anyone who works in customer service will tell you that being handed ten cents is the most insulting thing someone can do. Either tip properly, or don't tip at all. I don't want your crack change thank you very much :p .

More insulting than sucking your nipple?

How is an act of generosity 'the most insulting thing someone can do'? Just because their standards of tipping doesn't conform to your expectations doesn't mean they did it to insult you. Who are you to define what is tipping 'properly'.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Smithy said:
LiveForTheLaunch said:

How is an act of generosity 'the most insulting thing someone can do'? Just because their standards of tipping doesn't conform to your expectations doesn't mean they did it to insult you. Who are you to define what is tipping 'properly'.

27p isn't a tip though, it IS an insult. As in, people hand tramps and beggars 27p to shut them up, it's the same thing. And they obviously know leaving 27p is a **** tip. Like, nobody leaves that amount and thinks it's a satisfactory amount. Like, I appreciate it if people go 'I'm really sorry, it's literally all the change I have' because it's acknowledging the fact that it is a lousy tip, but I can appreciate that not everybody carries pockets full of change around, I know they don't because I'm one of them. But when people like, personally hand this kind of tip to you, or they say 'your tip is on the table' or something along those lines, it's just ridiculous. Yes I like to earn tips and yes I think I work hard to do so, but I'm not so desperate that I need every penny I can get my hands on. I honestly would rather be left nothing.

And actually, I have had it done as an insult, with people laughing about what a **** tip they left as they leave the restaurant. Which is way out of line.

Smithy

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
27p isn't a tip though, it IS an insult. As in, people hand tramps and beggars 27p to shut them up, it's the same thing. And they obviously know leaving 27p is a **** tip.

To you.

To them, they're handing you their change. It might be to round up to a even bill, it might be what they have in their pocket. You're not entitled to anything from them, 27p is 27p more than they have to give you.

I'm not suggesting that some people don't purposely leave **** tips btw, and full well know that they're doing so, but the attitude shown a few posts earlier which is basically a giant middle finger to people who're under no obligation to leave a tip just because you disagree with the amount I found funny. Those people are just utter cretins after a reaction. The people who leave a **** tip for a reaction, that is.

tks

Strata Poster
At work i'm going to start asking customers to send me tips in the post every time I sort out a query for them or go out of my way to fix a problem and keep them happy. I think it's only fair.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Smithy said:
nadroJ said:
27p isn't a tip though, it IS an insult. As in, people hand tramps and beggars 27p to shut them up, it's the same thing. And they obviously know leaving 27p is a **** tip.

To you.

To them, they're handing you their change. It might be to round up to a even bill, it might be what they have in their pocket. You're not entitled to anything from them, 27p is 27p more than they have to give you.

What I am referring to is when it's not change that I've put on the tip tray for them, it's where they purposely extract a stupid amount from their pocket and place it down. Like I said, I don't mind when people apologise, or sort of act sheepishly because they know it's poo, it's when they make a point of pointing out the tip they've left you. It's even worse when accompanied by 'thank you so much for your service, it's been great, we've left you a tip, bye' and you turn around and there's 27p on my tip tray.

I'm afraid unless you've been in the situation you won't understand, and I can guarantee anybody who has worked in a job where you get tips you simply develop this attitude. No, we shouldn't expect tips, but when it eventually becomes part and parcel of your income simply by the nature of your job you inevitably do. And as such, I am allowed to complain and moan about situations like the above because it is insulting, and the majority of people who do acknowledge this by apologising kind of proves that most people would consider that amount a crappy tip.

Like I already said, nobody places that amount down and thinks it's a good amount to put down, how do you figure a person's service is worth 27p? Why wouldn't you just leave nothing. Stupid.

^ I agree. I've had people say things like "oh you're really friendly and we appreciate your company and you're doing a really good job so just take what I have left" and not even buy a shot but hand me a little less than a dollar in crack change. To me that's okay, because they're acknowledging that I'm working good and they certainly didn't have to hand me money without getting anything in return apart from my company :p . But when someone hands me ten cents and says "here, take this, you've done a really brilliant job" and then laughs to their friends or just does it to take the piss, sorry. If it's all you have left then fine, but when it's clearly to take the piss, it really IS an insult. People see it as like, a really low end job that they'd never want to do so they think they can treat us like crap, but just like any other server or person with a job, we're working for money and to put ourselves through school and to get the things we want, so to take the piss is just mean. My job is damn good money, I admit that the people who work there don't deserve $70-100 in tips each night for three hours of what's essentially partying, but I can't complain. If someone tries to hand me a $30 tip, sometimes I ask them twice if they're sure because that's just overly generous, but I can't say I'm not happy to get it.

I fully agree with what you put, Jordan. I know being a server is a little bit different, but it really is a pisstake if they're doing it just to be a smart ass no matter what job you have.

WHY does everyone dwell on that. In the three and a half months I've worked there, it happened once and it wasn't me offering my tit to someone, so I'd appreciate if people shut the **** up about it. I don't go asking people if they wanna suck my boob in exchange for a tip.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I think it's funny how people think it's funny to make a joke out of a sexual assault. Hahaha, isn't it **** hilarious that it happens to thousands of women every day, but the fact that we laugh and joke about it means it isn't taken seriously and leads to more serious sexual assault including rape and can sometimes even lead to murder. LOLOLOL **** HILARIOUS.

Smithy

Strata Poster
I think it's even funnier that she's still at a job where she got sexually assaulted.

But yes, making light of it definitely means Taylor's going to end up being seriously sexually assaulted, raped and probably murdered. Definitely.

**** hell your previous post re tips was spot on, you put it across from your perspective brilliantly. Then you just come out with that absolute bollocks.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Smithy said:
I think it's even funnier that she's still at a job where she got sexually assaulted.

But yes, making light of it definitely means Taylor's going to end up being seriously sexually assaulted, raped and probably murdered. Definitely.

**** hell your previous post re tips was spot on, you put it across from your perspective brilliantly. Then you just come out with that absolute bollocks.

Urgh, you're so dense! I didn't mean Taylor specifically, I meant WOMEN in general. When the majority of people think it's OK to joke about what was clearly a sexual assault (and I'm not just talking Taylor's situation here, I'm talking women everywhere that have it happen every day, from getting their asses slapped to being told they 'asked' to be raped because their dress was too short) it makes light of the whole subject. So the whole subject matter becomes a joke, and a LOT of the time women report sexual assaults (such as in Taylor's case) and it won't get taken seriously because of this attitude society has towards such things (to use Taylor as an example again, the majority of people on here either responded by laughing at what happened or telling her it was HER fault because SHE put HERSELF into the position). Which leads to women not speaking out about things because they believe they won't be taken seriously, which leads to women being in more danger, which DOES lead to more serious things like rape and murder.

So think about who and what you're talking about and actually read what I've written before calling it out as bollocks. I'm sure if you were female, especially a female who has been sexually assaulted, then you'd think a whole lot differently about the entire subject.

Smithy

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
Urgh, you're so dense! I didn't mean Taylor specifically, I meant WOMEN in general.

Yes, I'm dense. Please do show me where myself and several others have openly mocked sexual assault against ''WOMEN in general'', and not just one incident where the humour is mostly derived from the awful attempted rebuttal of the criticisms aimed towards Taylor for her handling of the situation.

When the majority of people think it's OK to joke about what was clearly a sexual assault (and I'm not just talking Taylor's situation here, I'm talking women everywhere that have it happen every day, from getting their asses slapped to being told they 'asked' to be raped because their dress was too short) it makes light of the whole subject.

Making light of one situation does not mean myself, Furie, Ben, TKS (I'm sure there's more) frequently joke about sexual assault against women in general.

So the whole subject matter becomes a joke, and a LOT of the time women report sexual assaults (such as in Taylor's case) and it won't get taken seriously because of this attitude society has towards such things (to use Taylor as an example again, the majority of people on here either responded by laughing at what happened or telling her it was HER fault because SHE put HERSELF into the position).

And you had the nerve to call me dense?!

Feel free to go back and find me where ANYBODY said it was Taylors fault. People (including myself) were rightly critical of her actions as they contributed towards the incident; these same people were also clear to point out that it was wrong and it shouldn't have happened, and that she is not at fault. Just that she didn't help herself. I seem to recall Ben's examples such as walking down a dodgy alleyway with a phone out being used.

So think about who and what you're talking about and actually read what I've written before calling it out as bollocks. I'm sure if you were female, especially a female who has been sexually assaulted, then you'd think a whole lot differently about the entire subject.

I read what you'd written. You generalised and massively exaggerated your response and the link between what you put and what's actually occurred is strained at best. Don't even attempt to give me that line either, I've got a close friend who's suffered a sexual assault when she was younger, you think I don't know the damage it can do? Difference is, she wasn't inviting people to shove their faces into her chest and then wondering why a drunken pervert saw an opportunity to take advantage. I wouldn't dare make light of the subject with her because it changed her life. Do you really think if it's had such a negative effect on Taylor she'd be back at work mostly relying on sexualisation to earn money?

I am interested though, did Taylor report her incident to the police? Or even to her manager?

Can we not make this about me, please?

I fully agree with everything Jordan says, and as a fellow girl she can actually understand the situation without making it into a joke like EVERYONE is doing, when I don't actually find it funny in the slightest. And yes Smithy, I did stay at my job because it's good money and I'm not letting one bad incident cost me a few thousand dollars a year. I have stuff to pay for, it doesn't make me an idiot for not storming out the door and quitting because one jerk came into the club.

And yes I did tell my manager, but there was nothing he could do after the fact because everyone was already gone.

This is a tipping topic, I refuse to make it a topic related to what happened at my work ONE time. Saying I should have quit my job because of it is kinda like saying theme parks are dangerous and you shouldn't go to them because a handful of accidents occur throughout the year.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah, but in Jordan's World we wouldn't be able to make jokes about them <///3 And if I can't say Kentucky Kingdom didn't have a leg to stand on, my life isn't worth living.

I agree with the rubbish tips thing. If anyone ever left me, pretty much less than a quid, after a whole meal, it IS insulting. We took money at the bar, so it wasn't about having the loose change from that, they'd take money out of their wallet at the end, to leave on the table. If you're going to do that, do it for more than a few coppers.

(also Taylor was in no way raped, come off your soap box, babes)