What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

When I was at KI, I saw Rivertown as more of a Mississippi river sort of thing going on there, not a western 'land' like Frontiertown. I don't see why it matters, they wanted to make that area of the park feel different than others, like from Adventure Express to Vortex and the front of the park. They all have a different atmosphere and KI achieved that.

Ben; That's EXACTLY the angle I wanted to see! Thank you so much for posting that! Seeing how the ride can barely fit into the image when the drop's only half done, that thing is going to be monstrous when it's finished. I can't wait to go crazy with my camera next year!

These are a bit old, but they show the lift going up:

db_2008_1015_Diamondback31.jpg

db_2008_1015_Diamondback21.jpg

db_2008_1015_Diamondback11.jpg

I have to say, Looking very sexy indeedy!

Every time I read this topic once in a while, it seems to grow sooo much lol!

Must keep updated more often!

^ Good find SFMM.

Here are a couple more photos grabbed from the web cam.

Picture7.png

Picture6-2.png

Picture8.png

The more this coaster goes vertical, the more staggering it looks as barely anything within its immediate vicinity breaks the tree line.

Next weekend I am headed home via I-71 which goes straight past the park. If I have a camera handy I might be able to grab a picture of what you can see of the coaster from afar.

Actually, that's not the last one. You can see the other larger diameter beam sticking up that has yet to receive more to it.

KIExtreme posted an update:

oct19th-2008-110.jpg

oct19th-2008-142.jpg

oct19th-2008-154.jpg

oct19th-2008-096.jpg

In other news...Lifthill is almost done. Second hill will be started soon. Grass was added to the ravine, and the maintenance roads were paved...

Triple post...whatever...

Another update, they've added another section to the lifthill and there are pics here:

db10220810.JPG

db10220805.JPG

db10220804.JPG

Here's an interesting pic:

IMG_8247.jpg

1. You can see the terrain is used.
2. You can see the size of the ride.
3. Unique angle FTW.

Not really a terrain coaster.. as it dips a small fraction below grade.. if you want terrain, go ride Boulder Dash or Beast.

rollerdude said:
Unique angle FTW.

Pshh, please.

I was taking pictures from that same angle before the cement footers had time to dry. :wink:

IMG_2857.jpg

Kings Island "cleverly" uses the ravine and elevation change in Diamondback's design, but take that saying with a pinch of salt.

The second drop is the only time the coaster truly dips below the original land level. You can see the bottom of this drop with the short support nearest the maintenance road at the bottom of the ravine.

This is hardly the 300+ elevation change we find with Beast.

The only true use of terrain we find is with Diamondback's second drop into the ravine.

Beyond that, the layout stays rooted at the same level.

In other news, I have driven past the park, and the lift hill is very noticeable when driving by.

I imagine the coaster will be even more stunning once the second hill is built, giving true contrast to the height of the first hill.

Not to nit pick, but Beast's total elevation change is 210 feet - and that's from the highest support to the lowest level of terrain that it travels on.

But I do agree with your statement Hyde... although it is a hyper coaster so what'd you expect?

Mike T said:
Not to nit pick, but Beast's total elevation change is 210 feet - and that's from the highest support to the lowest level of terrain that it travels on.

But I do agree with your statement Hyde... although it is a hyper coaster so what'd you expect?
Sorry, my fault.

To Diamondback's credit, it does give a more rugged, terrain look than other Hyper coasters we have seen.

Kings Island uses its wooded setting as a selling point, citing its "use of rugged, natural terrain."

Terrain use aside, I feel its setting above the midway and close proximity to other buildings will be most noticeable to visitors.

^ Of course, I didn't say Diamondback was the top most, end-all terrain Hyper; Kings Island has just done a good job at portraying it as such.

When you truly look at the layout, there isn't much terrain use at all.

Will KI be replanting trees in Diamondback's area before opening day in April 2009?

Nick Beaver - Indianapolis, IN

At this time there are no plans to replant trees around Diamondback. There are still plenty of trees around the ride.
Link

db10290815.JPG

IMG_4160.jpg

Why? :cry:

Other than that, looking good!

I had a feeling those pine trees leading up to Beast's entrance would be removed for Diamondback's final helix.

It is a definite shame, the removal of these trees will greatly hurt the aura of the area.

I hope they are able to restore some kind of landscaping.