What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

Ooohh, it always gets exciting when they add the steeper track! :razz:

Also with the splashdown, I would imagine some of the mist from the splash would blow onto the pathway. Nothing that would drench the guests, but a misting that you would be able to feel.

In several posts, there's been a question about the different colors for supports, and I wonder if they might be trying to have them match existing rides near the Diamondback layout. If I have my bearings right as to what part of the park it's in, it probably goes near the Vortex at some point, and that has orange as part of its color scheme. I've only been to KI once, way back in '91. At that time, the railroad went from the theme park to the water park, but I don't know if it's been changed since then. If it's still the same, and those last Diamondback airtime hills go over it, then I think the larger hills, including the lift, would be near the Vortex. The videos probably don't show all of the existing rides near Diamondback, and I'm sure if they tried to show another massive coaster right beside it, the file size would be a lot bigger. Those Arrow supports would probably slow most of our graphics cards way down!

Of course, I'm referring to the Vortex as a "massive" coaster in a relative sense, because it probably set several records - height, speed, number of inversions, etc. - when it was built. I sort of hope the Diamondback lift isn't right next to it, because that would almost make it look like a kiddie coaster! Oh well, I guess worse things than that have happened to some of the other Arrow mega-loopers!

Though you're memory of the park is correct, Diamondback is not exactly close to Vortex.

Beast, The Crypt, and a rather thick treeline create a good deal of space in between the two rides.

Further, the closest part of Diamondback to Vortex features the beige supports. The yellow supports are only used for the lift hill.

The real reason for the change in support colors is accenting the ride's first hill, making it stand out to catch the eyes of visitors.

Think about it, That first hill will be the most visible part of the entire ride, visible from just about anywhere in the park given it's central location, and will have a certain dominance over the Kings Island skyline when viewed from afar.

The yellow supports are truly there to accent the first hill and draw more visual attention.

Bottom of the first drop has been installed!

diamondback1dh5.png

It really will be cool as to how tightly Diamondback's track will navigate around Rivertown's pathways and rides.

Trains will be speeding down that first hill literally feet away from the main pathway, queue for the Crypt, and the park's train.

What I'm looking forward to is the final helix, as it will mostly be standing over the pathway leading to Beast.

I was beat...

^I agree. I can't wait to see all the crowd interaction this ride will have, as it looks like it's going to have a lot. That's something that CF really needs to improve on, as Top Thrill Dragster has about the best crowd interaction at any CF park I've been to.

^ I wouldn't say it will interact to the level of Dragster, more on par with Millennium Force. :razz:

^Clearly.

Even of all the coasters I've been on.. which isn't even that many.. nothing has such a crowd gathered around it like TTD does.

And its not like it is a short time either.. 90% of the day it has a crowd at the launch.

<3

Another look on the webcam shows the construction of the final airtime hill next to the first.

Picture2-5.png

Already by the first couple of hills, this coaster is going to dominate the park.

I'm headed to KI on Saturday and might be able to bring a camera for some pictures.

I've been waiting for somebody to post some pictures from a midway perspective. That would be nice if you could get some.

I'm surprised at how sexy the colors are looking. It's like CoasterDynamix swapped supports and track and put it on a megacoaster.

^ For what it's worth, the CoasterDynamix model of Diamondback looks the exact same color as the real thing. :razz:

Don't worry, in five years it will be as faded as ever. :roll: