What's new

Diamondback - B&M Hyper for Kings Island

^ Waa, Waaa, Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Hyde244 said:
Kings Island submitted some construction pictures to Screamscape.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/ki_-_2009_0.htm

These pictures were taken from the midway of Rivertown and back construction zone, giving those perspectives you had requested for rollerdude. :razz:

I agree, way to go with the camera Kings Island.

That's absolutely delicious. I can't wait to walk under that at the live next year, if it's going to be at KI...

We will have to get it organized MUCH earlier this year.. as it is a farther travel for most.

Don't worry, we had RFII this year.. even though you kids are bitches.. and will have Diamondback next year.

Ok, the official site has some new pictures...

http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/lat ... nstruction

And a Blog:

Work begins on 230-foot lift hill
October 3, 2008
If you are planning a visit to Kings Island this weekend for Halloween Haunt (the most immersive horror experience in the Midwest with more than 580 blood-thirsty monsters and 13 haunted attractions) or the all-new, family-friendly Howl-O-Fest event, be sure to take a ride on the Kings Island and Miami Valley Railroad. You’ll be amazed at the amount of track that is in place behind The Crypt. Have your camera ready because there are some great photo opportunities of the construction as the train heads towards the trestle.

On the other side of the midway, workmen have begun installing track on the 230-foot lift hill. It’s going to be a steep climb to the top of the tallest, fastest and meanest roller coaster to hit Kings Island!

- Don Helbig
Last Entry » Work continues on Diamondback
Next Entry » Stay tuned!

http://www.kidiamondback.com/public/latest/blog/

Diamondback is going to obliterate Rivertown.

I was at KI for Halloween Haunt, and the construction so far has the first hill coming down directly over the pathway.

As Don mentioned in the blog, there is a ton of track not only behind the Crypt, but in storage behind Son of Beast and in the Boomerang Bay parking lot.

I had a chance to ride the train in the evening for the Tombstone Terror-tory haunt, and can attest as to how close the bottom of the first drop and airtime hills cut towards the train.

So far there seems to be good moments of the track interacting with its surroundings (i.e. train and pathway), and I am looking forward to exactly how close the final helix will be in relation to the path and surrounding buildings.

Sorry I was cameraless, but the pictures you find online right now sum up the construction.

I love how this picture makes the bunny hill look like it comes out of nothing. It looks like the ravine is going to have some effect on the ride after all.

I'm still waiting for the lifthill to tower over the path. I'll just have to wait until next weekend to see pics of that.

But.. it won't be coming from anything too deep.. as you can see from the support and angle of the pull up.. the ravine wouldn't play that big of a factor.

http://www.kiextreme.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=355

Oct_-4th-2008-032.jpg

*explodes*

KI has suddenly jumped to the top of must-do parks for me. Sex. On. A. Stick.

Ben said:
Yep.

Way to ruin that beautiful bit of... concrete.

Those buildings you posted in your last post looked quite...not concrety. I've not seen many photos of the park, but if that's anything to go by, it actually looks quite nice.

There isn't much western charm in Rivertown.

Diamondback intersects with a dead portion of Rivertown, crossing a pathway sidelined by non western themed food stands and former Crypt queueline.

Oct_-4th-2008-204.jpg

If there is any charm to be had in Rivertown, it is back towards Beast or toward's White Water Canyon and the Miami Valley Railroad, both of which are not in the immediate proximity of Diamondback.

If you want a true charm killer, take what Millennium Force did to the Frontier Trail at Cedar Point.

Snoo said:
Yes.. as you would know the feel of the area as you've.. been there and all.

Directly afterwards said:
There isn't much western charm in Rivertown.

Diamondback intersects with a dead portion of Rivertown, crossing a pathway sidelined by non western themed food stands and former Crypt queueline.

Still seems I wasn't too far off...

I've not been, but it's still clear to me that's some concrete and a few stalls. If that's charming, well...

Ahh.. but the funny part is.. there wasn't a western feel in the first place.. and there hasn't been since.. The Beast in 79?

It's more of a backwoods feel.. like some retard hick is gonna shoot you from a tree in a big orange jumpsuit.

Rivertown isn't the best name for an area with absolutely no western theme at all.. besides maybe one shop.

If you want a true charm killer, take what Millennium Force did to the Frontier Trail at Cedar Point.

What charm? Even when MF is there, you only hear screams every 2-3 minutes.. and there was hardly anything which was even remotely charming in the first place.

And if Rivertown has any feel, it is the current Frontier Trail.

^ Do you even remember the Frontier Trail before 2000?

The Frontier Trail was the quietest, most quaint portion of the park.

You were not able to see any of the rest of the park, the trail being heavily wooded and lined with western themed shops such as the petting zoo, glass blowing hut, and Fort Sandusky.

With the addition of Millennium Force, not only was sound pollution introduced, but also a dominating coaster layout that can be seen from any point along the Frontier Trail, destroying the visual charm of the rustic themed trail.

Before, it was an isolated part of the park with a decent western theme. Now it is just another part of the park.

It is a night and day difference between the Frontier Trail before MF and after.

Back to Diamondback, the visible portion of the coaster will be very photogenic and give some great views for by-standers.