• No

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Some of it

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
I hate dubstep it is a stupid pointless excuse for a 'genre' of music. Young people these days are listening to this rubbish and over looking real music like Pink Floyd. Dubstep needs to die a painful death.

So is that.

Anyway, I don't like dubstep, but I'm not going to claim it isn't music, or whinge at people who do. Phil got it spot on with his post at the top of page two.[/quote]

I didn't claim it wasn't music, I just said it is a terrible genre. cool) An opinion not a statement.

Martyn

Giga Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
Martyn said:
ATTACKHAMMER said:
I hate dubstep it is a stupid pointless excuse for a 'genre' of music. Young people these days are listening to this rubbish and over looking real music like Pink Floyd. Dubstep needs to die a painful death.

So is that.

Anyway, I don't like dubstep, but I'm not going to claim it isn't music, or whinge at people who do. Phil got it spot on with his post at the top of page two.

I didn't claim it wasn't music, I just said it is a terrible genre. cool) An opinion not a statement.

You said it wasn't real music like Pink Floyd. That was the ridiculous bit.

You're allowed to not like something, but you can't claim something isn't real because you don't like it.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
[/quote]I didn't claim it wasn't music, I just said it is a terrible genre. cool) An opinion not a statement.[/quote]

You said it wasn't real music like Pink Floyd. That was the ridiculous bit.
You're allowed to not like something, but you can't claim something isn't real because you don't like it.[/quote]

I have been to a concert in which Modestep were the support band. Modestep are dubstep and don't play music they make noise. As this my opinion I can say what I like on the matter cool)

Martyn

Giga Poster
ATTACKHAMMER said:
don't play music they make noise.

Structured noise used for expression and evoking emotion in people.

Seems like a good definition of music to me.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Strange, somebody with a CAPITAL LETTER USERNAME seems the prime candidate for liking a musical fad.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
Smithy said:
Strange, somebody with a CAPITAL LETTER USERNAME seems the prime candidate for liking a musical fad.

Great addition to the discussion. Correlation between capital letters and music! cool)

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
If you go to a modern art museum, you'll find some really bizarre ****. I don't understand almost all of modern art and I'm tempted to collect some sticks from my front lawn, go to a nearby modern art museum, throw them on the curator's desk, claim it as modern art, and demand a paycheck. I don't find modern art stirring any emotion inside me, but many people are moved by it and I have no problem with it. Same can be applied to music of any genre. Dubstep may not move you, but it moves other people. Your lack of respect for other people's tastes shows that you're ignorant and naive.

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Antinos said:
Same can be applied to music of any genre. Dubstep may not move you, but it moves other people. Your lack of respect for other people's tastes shows that you're ignorant and naive.

THIS!

ATTACKHAMMER said:
I have been to a concert in which Modestep were the support band. Modestep are dubstep and don't play music they make noise.

Who were the headlining act?

Martyn said:
Structured noise used for expression and evoking emotion in people.

Seems like a good definition of music to me.

I can honestly say, I think this is the BEST thing I've read....ever!

madhjsp

Giga Poster
There's some really good dubstep out there, but unfortunately there's a even more which is utter crap. Just a quick browse through Youtube will give you a crappy dubstep remix for just about any song you choose to search. Somehow every kid with a Macbook & a copy of FL studio thinks they can be a producer, and these are the results.

But, there are some dubstep artists whose work I like very much... i.e. Zeds Dead, Noisia, Skream, Nero, Rusko, Subscape, and yes, Skrillex.

Patrick

Hyper Poster
I wonder how many of the people in this thread who claim that they dislike Dubstep actually know the difference between Dubstep and Brostep?

Dubstep:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovQS1o6Dxfc[/youtube]

Brostep:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py7d9brgnmA[/youtube]

Intricks

Strata Poster
Dubstep is a more electronic and industrial sounding genre of drum n bass.

Whoever the first you showcased was not dubstep, as no heavy beats were heard the 3 minutes i trudged through it. Skrillex is dubstep, brostep (or whatever your brony mind thinks it is) is more or less the god awful remixes of everyday songs kids do to be cool thinking they are awesome, when in reality, they just made the sounds of two robots **** in a blender.

Edit: Found the "heavy" beat. It is lame. The song is lame. You can tell it still uses fruity loops as that is basic looping with added in premade samples that were pitched differently.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Patrick said:
I wonder how many of the people in this thread who claim that they dislike Dubstep actually know the difference between Dubstep and Brostep?

Nobody, because there actually really isn't any difference...

I had this argument with Minor_Furie last night while watching some **** Kerrrrang channel bollocks. It was "and this band is thrash, but their earlier stuff was more metalcore".

I was like... Actually, it's all just a form of metal but the problem is that the subculture people use to escape from being considered "the norm" is now so normal that everyone into any kind of subculture is so desperate to escape being labelled as anything "common" that they're taking sub-genres to the absolute minutiae in a desperate attempt to appear different (and therefore cooler) than everyone else. It allows the now common sub-cultures to have their own hierarchies of "coolness" in a desperate attempt to "be different".

By breaking down any genre into tiny versions where there are slight differences you're just saying to the world "I'm a twat". At which point do you have to break down the music into, I dunno? "Skrillex-Step" which is anything that Skrillex make?

It's stupid and I wish people would stop it.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Calling anything brostep means you lose the argument, tbfh.

I can understand the need for sub-genres, there's a clear difference between a house, trance and techno song. Yet all could be labeled under 'dance music'.

But within then you could then go acid house, progressive house, electro house, deep house. And within them you could probably break it down further. When there's very little need to.