Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Some of it

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Being a Drum&Bass and Dubstep DJ, a lot of people moan at me about Dubstep. So I want to see the reaction the CF community has to it.

I have a lot to say about Dubstep, on where it has come from, where it is now and where it looks to be going in the future.

So, Coasterforce, lets hear you.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
In a nutshell, it is an abomination to music as it is not music, it sounds like 2 robots having sex and then dial up trying to connect to the internet back in 95. It's a joke that they are called musicians when 90% of them are just making this **** on their macs. It ruins good songs when they remix them, and it just sounds like ****.

Same goes for autotune while we are on the subject of things ruining music. Holy ****. I'm willing to bet 95% of the pop "artists" and artist is used as loosely as possible, wouldn't be famous if it weren't for dubstep and auto tune, or a combination of them. Ruined **** music and makes kids listen to **** like Bieber, Rihanna, and Mrs. Potatohead/Troll Nikki Minaj.

And yeah, that's the short version.

Smithy

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
In a nutshell, it is an abomination to music as it is not music, it sounds like 2 robots having sex and then dial up trying to connect to the internet back in 95. It's a joke that they are called musicians when 90% of them are just making this **** on their macs. It ruins good songs when they remix them, and it just sounds like ****.

Same goes for autotune while we are on the subject of things ruining music. Holy ****. I'm willing to bet 95% of the pop "artists" and artist is used as loosely as possible, wouldn't be famous if it weren't for dubstep and auto tune, or a combination of them. Ruined **** music and makes kids listen to **** like Bieber, Rihanna, and Mrs. Potatohead/Troll Nikki Minaj.

And yeah, that's the short version.

Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong.

I'm not a fan of most dubstep, there's a few songs I don't mind though.

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
tomahawKSU said:

To me that sounds like your talking about one or two Dubstep producers, UK Dubstep is a lot different to the Dubstep coming out of the US/Canada, don't get me wrong, I love the Dubstep thats coming from across the pond, but tracks like 'I Need Air' by Magnetic Man and 'Back For The First Time' by Caspa, sound nothing like what you just described. So maybe its narrow-mindedness and stereotyping of the genre makes you think like that.

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster
It can go crawl under a rock and die for all I care. I swear that some of it was made by slowing down a bad sound recording of a train wreck and then having some prostitute who can barely sing and then autotuning and distorting their voice until they sound like the one in a rental car GPS sing to it. If you think it's music I'm sorry but it is worthless **** that brings shame to actual music.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I enjoy some of it, but I prefer D&B. Saying that though, the difference between the two can be 'hidden' (Ghosts'n'Stuff by Deadmau5 or anything by Pendulum) in my opinion.

I equate it as another passing music fad that will annoy most within a certain genre of music (techno), becomr highly popular amd then lessen a bit as people just stop caring (Screamo when it first became popular. Still hated within the metal community though) and eventually just be there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Intricks said:
I enjoy some of it, but I prefer D&B. Saying that though, the difference between the two can be 'hidden' (Ghosts'n'Stuff by Deadmau5 or anything by Pendulum) in my opinion.

You mean electro sort of stuff, like Knife Party and non Dubstep Skrillex tracks?

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
As with most new music it is mostly made with way to much computer generated sounds. I play acoustic drums and piano you know those things that produce notes and beats without a computer. I will say that dubstep is great for jamming to and I can easily play way more complicated beats that compliment the 'music' with my own two hands and a set drums. My point being its not music unless it comes from a real instrument that can produce its own natural sound.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
My opinion about it reflects my opinion for electronic as a whole: there's some that's good, but a lot of it sucks. I find a lot of dubstep to be static and repetitive, yet some artists can produce some rich tracks. I'm a fan of Skrillex, Flux Pavilion, Bassnectar, Feed Me, and Porter Robinson to give you an idea on my taste.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Venom2053 said:
My point being its not music unless it comes from a real instrument that can produce its own natural sound.

Of course it is. Beethoven produced a lot of work and never heard any of it played, does that make his work "not music" because he was essentially just writing down a load of code for somebody else to play?

Music produced electronically is no different except the orchestra is replaced by synthesised sounds. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less 'music'.

I don't like it, but I believe the world would be an incredibly dull place if we all liked just one thing and everything stayed the same forever because nobody was ever allowed to experiment or advance their tastes.

Personally, I enjoy music that challenges, that is often just sound that is 'interesting'. I don't like music that just repeats, I like a lot of depth and interesting things going on (changes in pitch and tempo, different instruments or sounds coming in and out almost randomly, stuff that means it never falls into a very simple repetition) so I tend to find a lot of music a bit dull and bland. However, each to their own :)

I also like a good song to sing along to ;)

I do hate it when people play this stuff through their mobile phones though. I'm not an audiophile, but the idea of playing bass heavy music through a tiny mono speaker just sends me nuts :lol:

I also hate music snobs (though I am one :p ).

kimahri

CF Legend
I'm going to be brave and say that I think a lot of the Flak surrounding dubstep is mostly from Skrillex. Not neccessarily Sonny/Corey feldman attacked by a shaver, he's probably and ok person (who keeps talking like a south african and saying Fok)

The fans however are actually phenomonally **** stupid. The Aphex Twin incident is proof.

Treeis

Mega Poster
I like it, and I can see why people hate it.

What I hate is anyone shoving their music tastes in your face, as if that will somehow change your opinion. That goes for everyone, including dubstep fanboys and..."beliebers".

If you like something, thats great, discuss it with others who like that music and reccomend it if you feel the person you are reccomending it to has a shot of liking it. But apart from that, keep it to yourself, because no one else cares.

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
For the most part, I don't like it, or perhaps 'get it' either. I used to listen to BBC Radio 1Xtra's Daily Dose of Dubstep just to see what all the fuss was about and I found most of it to just be 5 minute tracks of really repetitive synths and anti-climatic drops. However I did find some tracks that had really dark, sinister tones to them, interesting melodies and deep, low-end basslines - that's the sort of thing I like in any genre of music and luckily for me I have a stereo system that really gets the most out of bass-heavy music, much to the dismay of my neighbours. I guess the point here is that while metal is my favourite genre, I do branch out if I find a certain track interesting.

I guess I should mention Korn's latest album, The Path of Totality, since they decided to fuse heavy metal with dubstep/electronica with the help of Downlink (who I've looked into further and actually don't mind), Noisa, Excision, Feed Me, 12th Planet, Kill The Noise, Datsik and *shudder* Skrillex. I've got to say, I was very skeptical when Korn first announced they'd be making a metal/dubstub crossover album but it works really well.

In a nutshell, I'm not really a fan of dubstep, but if it's done well (i.e not just 6 minutes of wub-wubs and horrible electronic screeching) then it's okay. Skrillex certainly isn't a good example of what it should sound like.

Frank

Roller Poster
A thread discussing music and no-one has yet posted links to stellar examples of the genre to help get their point across? What are you doing?

EnigmaHyena

Hyper Poster
The original poster didn't state it had to be done (I usually post about 3 or 4 examples from YouTube), and the main focus is on whether or not we actually like the genre so...what's the big deal?

I do kind of see your point I guess but even if I wanted to at the moment I couldn't as I'm being lame and browsing on my 3DS which can't play YT videos and can't even copy and paste. If people really wanted to hear examples then they'd open up YouTube or Spotify and type in the names we've mentioned. It's not really that hard. While I'm at it, may as well suggest people listen to My Wall, Sanctuary, Way Too Far, Kill Mercy Within and Illuminati by Korn.