• No

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Some of it

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Frank said:
A thread discussing music and no-one has yet posted links to stellar examples of the genre to help get their point across? What are you doing?

See I'm not after an argument, Drum&Bass and Dubstep are BIG parts of my life, I've lived by a theory for some time now..'Music Moulds'. I honestly believe that music has an influence on how you live certain factors of your life, anyway, getting back on track. I've been into the 'Bass Culture' genre/scene for many years now, since 2007. I've watched Drum&Bass make a comeback into the public eye, and watched Dubstep make a massive boom into the public eye.

Now I'm not one of these people that slate all these producers for 'selling out' and going 'too commercial' if they're going to make a track that the public like more, well congratulations.

ANYWAY getting back to what I was originally going to say in this post. I'm not after people to champion Dubstep as the best thing in the world, just after views from a wide range of people, from all over the UK/World.

Intricks

Strata Poster
In the states it is getting pretty popular, but as I said, it will more than likely be a music fad than anything concrete for us. It has influenced some recent songs beats (Birthday Cake, Til the World Ends, any other heavy bass hitting pop/hip-hop song as of late). It is refreshing to hear in the club (thank god. Gaga, Beyonce and Madonna are now getting annoying after clubs round here play them and seemingly nothing else), and we have gotten some more variety in my area (Ladi Dadi - Steve Aoki feat. Wynter Something), but it is still mainly Skrillex and crap youtube remixes lest I suggest some Drum'n'Bass.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Frank

Roller Poster
Enigma Shadow said:
The original poster didn't state it had to be done (I usually post about 3 or 4 examples from YouTube), and the main focus is on whether or not we actually like the genre so...what's the big deal?

Just seems a strange way of doing things, with a thread in which someone attempts to educate a number of people on a subject not featuring YouTube backup examples of "people doing it right". Obviously if you're all posting from handhelds then that's understandable, though.

ON TOPIC - To be honest, the only dubstep I've ever actually listened to is the stuff that seems to populate every video game announcement trailer now, and that's diabolical. So assuming that's also a fairly poor example of the genre (as DJProspeKt seems to be saying), I don't think I'm really in any position to comment on whether or not the genre is worthwhile.

kimahri

CF Legend
There isn't really any need for a youtube video war. DjStinkypetetheprospectororwhateverhewasintoystory2 isn't claiming superiority with dubstep, he's simply stating that he likes and makes it and wants to know what we, a possible audince think of it in general rather than his own works.

Silly comment Frank, silly comment.

ATTACKHAMMER

Strata Poster
I hate dubstep it is a stupid pointless excuse for a 'genre' of music. Young people these days are listening to this rubbish and over looking real music like Pink Floyd. Dubstep needs to die a painful death.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
^Exactly the same was said about young people listening to Pink Floyd instead of "real music" back in the 60's and 70's. And the same said in the 20's about jazz or big band music and so it goes on and on and on.

Martyn

Giga Poster
Venom2053 said:
My point being its not music unless it comes from a real instrument that can produce its own natural sound.

That's a ridiculous statement.

ATTACKHAMMER said:
I hate dubstep it is a stupid pointless excuse for a 'genre' of music. Young people these days are listening to this rubbish and over looking real music like Pink Floyd. Dubstep needs to die a painful death.

So is that.

Anyway, I don't like dubstep, but I'm not going to claim it isn't music, or whinge at people who do. Phil got it spot on with his post at the top of page two.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Your right my statement was little ridiculous sounding, I should have phrased it as more of an opinion. That is I have an extreme dislike for computer generated music which is "music composed by, or with the extensive aid of, a computer." Yes you are all correct it is still technically music beacuse it produces sound with volume and pitch, just not music that I respect or enjoy other than for its use as a 'beat' to jam over.

Any kid at home on his pc can learn very easily to make cool 'beats'. I much prefer an artist that has years of experience on an actual instrument than one who has picked his skills up from a piece of software. A computer is a tool not an instrument because it can produce sound without human interaction. I will leave the simple minded music to those who wish to waste their creativity on such nonsense.

Smithy

Strata Poster
First paragraph is ok.

Second paragraph is more ****.

99% of music these days goes through a computer.

99% of the sounds are computer generated. Even if it's a recording, it'll have been processed, reworked and altered to fit it's respective song.

You're just being an elitist snob and highlighting your massive ignorance to what is actually an extremely technical and quite challenging skill.

But I'm going to pick out this gem of stupidity.

[q]A computer is a tool not an instrument because it can produce sound without human interaction.[/q]

Without human interaction, who picks which sound? Or who places the sound?

Then to call it simple minded music essentially underlines that your opinion on the matter is entirely worthless given it's founded through ignorance.

addy2503

Mega Poster
I like dubstep, & I make it too. But my music library is 99.9% rock music, e.g. Metallica, Queen, Guns N' Roses, Avenged Sevenfold ...etc.
Also I have been playing guitar, bass, drums & piano since way before I started using computers.
And dubstep does take skill! Have you ever tried programming a synth completely by hand, from scratch, putting in notes, deciding what sounds right for a song…etc? No, I didn't think that you had. I have at least 8 years musical experience, but yet it still took me a year or so to actually start making decent sounding dubstep.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Smithy said:
99% of the sounds are computer generated. Even if it's a recording, it'll have been processed, reworked and altered to fit it's respective song.

My roommate from college is a parttime sound engineer. I've actually recorded at the studio he works at. My bands piece was all recorded with real instruments and took about 20 hours of mixing to produce. Mixing is different from just spiting out samples or using triggers. The computer is used as a tool to make the music sound better. It doesn't actually generate the sounds in my work. I am completely aware of what it is like to mix a song and its much harder than making actual electronic music .

Smithy said:
You're just being an elitist snob and highlighting your massive ignorance to what is actually an extremely technical and quite challenging skill.

The name calling isn't necessary and I've made some simple electronic music. It took me far less time to make a beats with the computer than it took me to learn the coordination to play it with my hands on an actual kit.

Smithy said:
Then to call it simple minded music essentially underlines that your opinion on the matter is entirely worthless given it's founded through ignorance.

Compare the notation of Bach's Air (on G string) to that of Digital Mystikz song Haunted and get back to me on which is a more complex piece.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
My roommate from college is a parttime sound engineer. I've actually recorded at the studio he works at. My bands piece was all recorded with real instruments and took about 20 hours of mixing to produce. Mixing is different from just spiting out samples or using triggers. The computer is used as a tool to make the music sound better. It doesn't actually generate the sounds in my work. I am completely aware of what it is like to mix a song and its much harder than making actual electronic music .

Ah, so that's where the snobbery comes from. Jealousy that some tech whizz like deadmau5 can earn millions upon millions behind a computer.

The name calling isn't necessary and I've made some simple electronic music. It took me far less time to make a beats with the computer than it took me to learn the coordination to play it with my hands on an actual kit.

And it would have sounded ****, no doubt. If it were easy, anybody could do it and be successful.

Compare the notation of Bach's Air (on G string) to that of Digital Mystikz song Haunted and get back to me on which is a more complex piece.

Because of course, your bands music is comparable to Bach's Air, just as all of deadmau5's music is comparable to Digital Mystikz.

Compare any of Enter Shikari's WE PLAY THE INSTRUMENTS WE'RE NOT SIMPLE MINDED TECH NERDS music alongside deadmau5's 'The Veldt', and tell me which is a more complex piece of music.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Lol your shifting away from the topic ;) My bands music has nothing to do with this topic. I was merely mentioning it to show that I have experience in both electronic music and instrumental music. Jealousy has nothing to do with my dislike for dubstep. I also dislike country, rap, hip-hop, and dance music. The difference is I respect rap and country and some hip-hop. But in my opinion most modern music is garbage so I'm difficult to reason with when it comes to modern musically genres.
Smithy said:
If it were easy, anybody could do it and be successful.
Success in the music industry is not purely based on skill so your point is invalid. For example: Justin Bieber and One Direction....need I say more :lol:

Smithy said:
Because of course, your bands music is comparable to Bach's Air, just as all of deadmau5's music is comparable to Digital Mystikz.
You have no idea what my band sounds like ;) but yes you are correct Bach master piece is better. Also deadmau5 is house music not dubstep. Which is not much better IMO.

Smithy said:
Compare any of Enter Shikari's WE PLAY THE INSTRUMENTS WE'RE NOT SIMPLE MINDED TECH NERDS music alongside deadmau5's 'The Veldt', and tell me which is a more complex piece of music.
Enter Shikari is also terrible so in that case deadmau5 is slightly better. A better comparison would have been Attack Attack or Abandon All Ships who do a much better job at complimenting their music with electronic sounds.

Anyway this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how miss guided some troll on the internet thinks his opinion is. I don't like dubstep nor do I respect it as a good form of music.

kimahri

CF Legend
My 2 coins of what ever currency you wish into the "electronic music is easy/simple/skilless" argument.

Richard D James.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
Lol your shifting away from the topic ;)

If addressing all of your points is shifting away then by jove we're going to struggle to keep this coherant.

My bands music has nothing to do with this topic.

Yet you brought them up?

I was merely mentioning it to show that I have experience in both electronic music and instrumental music. Jealousy has nothing to do with my dislike for dubstep. I also dislike country, rap, hip-hop, and dance music. The difference is I respect rap and country and some hip-hop. But in my opinion most modern music is garbage so I'm difficult to reason with when it comes to modern musically genres.

There's a monumental difference between disliking something, and disrespecting it.

Smithy said:
If it were easy, anybody could do it and be successful.
Success in the music industry is not purely based on skill so your point is invalid. For example: Justin Bieber and One Direction....need I say more :lol:

As much as I hate the little scrotum, Bieber is actually very talented. Do explain how my point is invalid though, given your rebuttal of it is not fully encompassing and leaves so many variables untouched. We're referring to making music via a computer, not making popular music in general.

You have no idea what my band sounds like ;) but yes you are correct Bach master piece is better. Also deadmau5 is house music not dubstep. Which is not much better IMO.

Yet it is made entirely behind a computer. Which is the discussion you raised.

Enter Shikari is also terrible so in that case deadmau5 is slightly better. A better comparison would have been Attack Attack or Abandon All Ships who do a much better job at complimenting their music with electronic sounds.

Not really, you picked out a pointless example so I countered it with an equally pointless example; you cannot group such a wide variety of music into Made on computer/Not made on computer, and then try and pick two single songs at either end of the scale, compare for quality and attempt to use it as a vindication of your ignorance.

Anyway this whole thing is being blown out of proportion. Everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how miss guided some troll on the internet thinks his opinion is.

20120322102259-8aea92f6.gif

I don't like dubstep nor do I respect it as a good form of music.

Disliking it is fine. Hence why several other people have voiced their dislike for it and not been challenged. Spouting out the rubbish you have about it not being difficult to produce, or that all music produced on a computer is awful is what got your views challenged; everything after that is just me decimating each and every 'defence' you attempted to thrash out before collapsing into a ''IT'S MY OPINION AND YOU'RE A TROLL'' response. Next time try generic argument get-out comment 43, ''YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS''.

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Venom2053 said:
Your right my statement was little ridiculous sounding, I should have phrased it as more of an opinion. That is I have an extreme dislike for computer generated music which is "music composed by, or with the extensive aid of, a computer." Yes you are all correct it is still technically music beacuse it produces sound with volume and pitch, just not music that I respect or enjoy other than for its use as a 'beat' to jam over.

So your more of a live music sort of person then yeah? So what about those acts like Chase and Status, Pendulum and DJ Fresh who have all adapted their music to a live show? I.e everything is played live, and not just mixed out of a laptop? Are you telling me you would go see these bands play Dubstep because its played live?

What about Modestep? They have been making live Dubstep from the off, all fully recorded with real drums, guitars etc...fair enough it goes through a computer to be arranged, EQed and mixed correctly, like ALL music is nowadays?

So your point for not liking Dubstep is invalid, as there are some acts out there that actually perform with a live set up.

Kimahri said:
There isn't really any need for a youtube video war. DjStinkypetetheprospectororwhateverhewasintoystory2 isn't claiming superiority with dubstep, he's simply stating that he likes and makes it and wants to know what we, a possible audince think of it in general rather than his own works.

Silly comment Frank, silly comment.

Spot on Kim, Spot on!

P.S, DJ ProspeKt will do fine.