Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Some of it

Votes: 10 33.3%

• Total voters

kimahri

CF Legend
Deadmau5 is a weirdo and has a studio filled with wires and keyboards and other audiophile stuff. Granted it's put together on a computer but his stuff isn't generated by it.

Computers in electronic music are really just a tool to help organise the stuff that the artist has made and sampled. Creating music solely on your desk top isn't going to get you very far.

I leik the SID Chip and Paula <3 and I'm tired...

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
DJProspeKt said:
So your point for not liking Dubstep is invalid, as there are some acts out there that actually perform with a live set up.

Fair enough much better than the garbage that smithy seems to be spitting in his last post in an effort to enrage me through a screen. Yes, I would be interested in seeing some dubstep performed live, I don't know how long I'd make it through the show but it would still be an interesting experience.

My point many still be invalid it still doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. Idk it may also be the overall sound it produces. Some of it is rather annoying sounding. I do have a question directed at both DJProspeKt and Smithy... What are your musically backgrounds?

Smithy

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
Fair enough much better than the garbage that smithy seems to be spitting in his last post in an effort to enrage me through a screen.

Smithy said:
Disliking it is fine. Hence why several other people have voiced their dislike for it and not been challenged. Spouting out the rubbish you have about it not being difficult to produce, or that all music produced on a computer is awful is what got your views challenged; everything after that is just me decimating each and every 'defence' you attempted to thrash out before collapsing into a ''IT'S MY OPINION AND YOU'RE A TROLL'' response. Next time try generic argument get-out comment 43, ''YOU'RE JUST JEALOUS''.

:lol:

I do have a question directed at both DJProspeKt and Smithy... What are your musically backgrounds?

Not that it has any bearing whatsoever on this discussion. But I've dabbled with a few instruments. And spent a good bit of time trying (and failing) to make use of FL Studio.

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Venom2053 said:
Fair enough much better than the garbage that smithy seems to be spitting in his last post in an effort to enrage me through a screen. Yes, I would be interested in seeing some dubstep performed live, I don't know how long I'd make it through the show but it would still be an interesting experience.

In your spare time, have a look round youtube at some Modestep or Live Chase and Status stuff, I'm not going to post any videos on here 'cause that will just spark a **** ton of videos.

Venom2053 said:
do have a question directed at both DJProspeKt and Smithy... What are your musically backgrounds?

I don't understand that question, I don't know if I'm being thick here or you've worded it wrong.

Kebab

Giga Poster
I think it's awful, I gave it a chance, and I just think it's the turn-out of this generations 'Garage' music. It all sounds the same, and when it's trying to be epic/atmospheric, it comes out far too cheesy due to it's irritating rhythm. I'd take good old Liquid D'n'B any day over the best of the dubstep we hear today, it's going to die out soon, like every other 'fad', and when people say it's 'difficult' to produce, it's all there on a quick Google search, no harder than designing your own MySpace page.

And if I hear anyone say 'listen to how sik dis drop is!" I'll drop-kick them in the brow. :)

Venom2053

Hyper Poster
Smithy said:
But I've dabbled with a few instruments. And spent a good bit of time trying (and failing) to make use of FL Studio.

Specifically which instruments and for how long? What kind of stuff have you being doing in Fruity Loops?

DJProspeKt said:
I don't understand that question, I don't know if I'm being thick here or you've worded it wrong.

My bad ;) Smithy understood it though. When did you start learning music and through which instrument? Also which software do you use for your dubstep?

P.S. Modestep was more enjoyable to listen to though its still not my thing

kimahri

CF Legend
Just quickly sayin' that although Kebab has brought up the it's easy card, he's not applying it to the broad scale as Venom is.

DJProspeKt

Roller Poster
Venom2053 said:
P.S. Modestep was more enjoyable to listen to though its still not my thing

I'm glad you gave it a try :), now onto your question.

I started to learn the tenor horn when I was 12, but later stopped.

I took up singing and acting and have ALWAYS been interested in music and compositions, so when I grew a passion for Drum&Bass and Dubstep, I started to produce my own using FL studio, and have done for nearly 4 years now. Shortly I'll be moving onto a mac and using abelton. I've been DJing for just over 5 years and 4 years of that have been mainly Drum&Bass, Dubstep and Electro sets. I run my own club night in my home town dedicated to said music.

Smithy

Strata Poster
Venom2053 said:
Specifically which instruments and for how long? What kind of stuff have you being doing in Fruity Loops?

Drums for about a year, electric guitar for a bit and then just the odd bits and bobs for a laugh. And the cowbell, obviously.

And just trying to make something sound acceptable, which is difficult enough. No specific genre.

Kebab

Giga Poster
kimahri said:
Just quickly sayin' that although Kebab has brought up the it's easy card, he's not applying it to the broad scale as Venom is.
I don't see why I have to expand, really. Most of the dropouts, and those who failed ICT and music at my school are now 'DJ Twizzle Sticks' or 'MC Mr Men', and everyone thinks there 'tunes are the ****'. It sounds the same to me, just wubs, drops, bass and over-used samples to a trippy rhythm. It's rare that a dubstep artist moves from the traditional trend, Skrillex sort of did, but went all commercialized and the same thing happened there too.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Oh sweet lawdy lawd >< Ive read this argument and it is seriously sounds more or less like jealousy.

For reference, here is my musical history before you rag on me.

Ive been heavilly involved with Music since 4. Started playing the piano by listening to my sister and replaying what I heard. Cause of that little talent of mine, I can tell when even a band gets slightly off pitch and GOD does it bother the hell out of me. I have stopped playing piano since about 16, went into band in grade school and played French Horn, Oboe and percussion til I graduated. Even before I started taking proper lessons at 4, I would sit at the piano and play. So basically 21 years here.

Honestly, Im offended by the way you are trying to argue here. A computer is JUST as much an instrument as a Yamaha Keyboard is. While it may be seen as a shortcut to some, I have heard complete orchestral pieces made by a pc that far surpass an actual orchestra, and one that sounded exactly like going to see one play in person. Do you consider the very high tech board (I believe it is called something along the lines of lemur, but I have no idea why) Daft Punk uses as a musical instrument? Do you believe you can play their choice of instrument better than they can?

I admit that I dont enjoy dubstep overall, but I enjoy the rythyms that can be found if you look in the proper places in the proper songs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Smithy

Strata Poster
Oi Intricks, stop trying to make him mad, you can't possibly be right because it's his opinion ok?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
The main point that people miss when saying that dubstep(or other subgenres of electronic for that matter) is that to make it, an artist still needs to know chords, melodies, harmonies, progressions, etc. If you listen to a lot of electronic out there, you can hear how it's been adapted from other music genres or instruments. You can hear where a synth progression has been adapted from a piano or a guitar. How many people know that Skrillex (bite me) was the front runner of From First to Last? He played lead guitar and knows how to play bass and I'm sure the piano as well. Deadmau5 knows how to play guitar as well.

To add to it, artists need to know how to use their computers to make music. The software they use isn't easy to use.

BTW, did I mention that Skrillex is 24 and From First to Last made it big when he was 16? Yeah, I can see a few people being just a little jealous at his success.

Lastly, my uncle is a composer. He graduated from Northwestern and teaches piano and violin at a prestigious school in Los Angeles. Many of his pieces have been used in movies and documentaries over the years. What does he use to write and record all of his music? A MIDI board hooked up to his macbook. No, my uncle doesn't need his MIDI board to make music, but he uses it as a tool because it's innovative and easy to use. He can do everything in house and save a lot of money by avoiding the recording studio and paying an orchestra to record his works.

[/beatingthedeadhorse]

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's the music I'd listen to, in fact I'd probably go out of my way to avoid it.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I think Venom missed something while getting angry with Smithy :p

If Bach was alive today, and produced Toccata and Fugue (one of my favourite pieces of music), would he use a full orchestra or compose it on a computer?

He'd use a computer. It's the music that matters, not what is used to produce it. I was introduced to Toccata and Fugue by a four channel sequenced version of it on the Atari ST. Samples were used and sequenced to produce the music. It wasn't as good as a full orchestral version (or a modern computer generated orchestral version), but the music was still good music.

Look at Robert Johnson, the father of modern blues. His guitar work is simplistic and the music is very repetitive and 'simple'. He's revered though as a musical master because he used a new sound that was then the launch platform for pretty much everything we have now. For the next 20 years every man and his dog picked up a guitar and produced something based on that blues and we eventually reach the heady heights of the Beatles et al. From a very simple single guitar and simple blues riffs we get an evolution into what could be considered musical masterpieces.

So comparing Bach to Dubstep is like comparing Bach to Robert Johnson and is actually completely and utterly irrelevant to any argument about music. Music is what the ear hears and the brain interprets, how it's produced has absolutely no bearing on if it should be "respected" or not.

tks

Strata Poster
Oh don't worry. Some new fad in music will come around in a few years time and everyone will fall in love with that and claim they've always loved it.

I see Classical Music making a revival into mainstream music in 4 years time.

Kebab

Giga Poster
Venom2053 said:
Enter Shikari is also terrible so in that case deadmau5 is slightly better. A better comparison would have been Attack Attack or Abandon All Ships who do a much better job at complimenting their music with electronic sounds.
Attack Attack and Abandon All Ships are just as bad examples. I'm surprised you haven't picked up on the band in which your Avatar is showing, Emery is a far greater example than all of those. If done artistically, I really wouldn't mind, but thats my opinion. Another persons opinion could be like, 'It needs to be heavy and have plenty of drops to sound good', or even 'It needs to be calm and atmospheric', everyone has there own opinion on music, as much as you'd like to argue or not. I have nothing against computer generated music, but I just hate how over-hyped dubstep is.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I can take or leave it to be honest. I have a very low tolerance for the droning 'wub-wub-wub' style dubstep, but I think there are certain songs and certain sub-genres of dubstep (the slightly more 'pop' dubstep) that I don't dislike.

As ever, it's really a song by song thing for me. I don't hate genres of music - that's just silly.