What's new

Christmas #1

Peep wrote:
"X Factor pisses me off so much because all it does is destroy the music industry,"

How did you come to that conclusion?

Syco, the record company aspect of the X Factor, are part of Sony. They are the part that makes the most money for Sony (in the UK at least). The profits from it do not all go back in to more X factor, they go to the other labels/label groups that are part of Sony - which are Columbia, Epic & RCA in the UK (plus a few smaller ones you're probably not aware are part of Sony). These labels use the money to finance other signings. I imagine the general consensus on the board will be that almost everything Epic and RCA produce is tat; but Columbia invests in a lot of rock, indie and more unknown artists. Without the money from Syco, Sony would have had to cut back on its labels (more than it has) a long time ago and would probably be up the same creek EMI are.
Instead, they have the second largest market share in the world wide music industry (largest in Japan, but then they always did), second only to the all conquering behemoth that is Universal Music - and a long way above Warner and EMI.

I fail to see how that's damaging the music industry, if anything, its keeping it afloat. You might not like the fact that music is being treated as a product, but this is the world of the major labels - music is a product as the labels exist to make a profit. They were never in it for the love of it.

Sara said:
Peep wrote:
"X Factor pisses me off so much because all it does is destroy the music industry,"

How did you come to that conclusion?

Syco, the record company aspect of the X Factor, are part of Sony. They are the part that makes the most money for Sony (in the UK at least). The profits from it do not all go back in to more X factor, they go to the other labels/label groups that are part of Sony - which are Columbia, Epic & RCA in the UK (plus a few smaller ones you're probably not aware are part of Sony). These labels use the money to finance other signings. I imagine the general consensus on the board will be that almost everything Epic and RCA produce is tat; but Columbia invests in a lot of rock, indie and more unknown artists. Without the money from Syco, Sony would have had to cut back on its labels (more than it has) a long time ago and would probably be up the same creek EMI are.
Instead, they have the second largest market share in the world wide music industry (largest in Japan, but then they always did), second only to the all conquering behemoth that is Universal Music - and a long way above Warner and EMI.

I fail to see how that's damaging the music industry, if anything, its keeping it afloat. You might not like the fact that music is being treated as a product, but this is the world of the major labels - music is a product as the labels exist to make a profit. They were never in it for the love of it.

About ****ING time, someone else that gets it!
The sheer fact that Rage Against The Machine are on Sony just says it all, because all the campaign is to make Cowell look stupid. Well it wont really, because Sony will see it that Cowells tv show has instigated a chart war of which they win either way!!! Hello to that bonus check!

Who cares if the money goes to Sony....its not the point, otherwise it would've been a different song, different artist!

Tom Morello the guitarist is giving his part of the money to charity.

WTF Dave.... you are missing my point (again)

I thought the whole point is that people were fed up with lining Simon Cowells pockets and X Factor having Christmas Number 1...

The point is, money that goes to Sony goes to Cowell too! He is a shareholder in Sony. Plus they will be very pleased his TV show is causing such a fuss. In fact they are more likely to encourage him to carry on doing it and award him accordingly, therefore the whole protest is null and void!

Therefore, in a roundabout way this whole thing is just strengthening and reenforcing the power of XFactor!

Also, XFactor actually helps the music industry in another way...
You only have to look at the itunes charts to see that whenever a song is performed its original version is purchased!

This has helped bolster and boost the sales of all sorts of artists, mainstream and not so mainstream, from Journey to Queen. They are all benefiting in boosts to their sales because of the XFactor theme weeks....

Anyone who thinks Joe Mcelderry won't be Xmas number 1 is a total idiot.

If anything internet campaigns will inspire more X-factor sales, I'm half tempted to go buy the single myself, just to spite this gash campaign haha.

Anyway, its about time BASSHUNTER had a xmas no. 1

They've been filling our ears with cheese for a good few years now, which is what the Spice Girls did, and they managed a good few xmas no. 1s!

Hahahaha I didn't even realise Basshunter did Xmas songs until I just youtubed them

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKTDLrZkC_U[/youtube]

I don't care Neal. I don't care whos number 1. As long as it isn't RatM... their over-obsession campaign with making it number 1 makes me hate it. Anyone else who releases a song intentionally for Xmas #1 and makes it is fine, but to be number 1 just to spite somebody, lol childishhhh

spite.JPG

I think the "X-Factor is strangling the music industry" thing is really due to the fact it doesn't encourage original artists.

You don't need to be anything other than a competent karaoke singer to get to number one. Forget about song writing, the ability to play an instrument (or program a tune one up, or mix one) or any real musical ability.

I'm shocked you don't realise this Mark, as somebody who has written their own songs and is trying to make it. You could have just gone on X-Factor and had a number one, based on the merits of the original songwriter, Simon Cowell and a bunch of people re-producing other peoples work.

Yes, the original artist gets more money, but it's not giving people producing original songs the opportunity to break into the industry. Would you rather have another cover at Christmas number 1 (due to "X-Factor", or your own Christmas song?

People do miss the point this isn't about lining the pockets of Simon Cowell, or Sony, or whatever. It's about saying "we've had enough of over produced, rehashes forced to number 1". I think it's unfortunate it's KITNO as it's such a harsh song for this time of year. It's done deliberately (as I explained previously), and it would have been nice if a different artist had been chosen. However, nobody would have gone for another song that wasn't so completely different - so it wouldn't have worked (actually, I reckon The Muppets would have if Disney had moved a little faster on it).

Anyway, it's all good as it's given things a bit of a shake up and excitement :)

Tbh I think people take the X Factor and other shows like far to seriously.

Yes it can make or break people but at the end of the day it is meant to be fun. It passes time on a Saturday and Sunday night and gives people something to watch.

Did I vote at all? NO.
Do I buy the songs? NO I buy the original versions as they are better in most cases.

The pepople I like do not win but I can not beleive the arguments people have over the acts, it gets a bit silly.

Some of the people moaning in this topic did in fact watch the X Factor, looking back in facebook and twitter proves this fact :)

No about the Xmas no1, I really do not care just like I do not care who is no1 during the year. It used to mean something when an aritst had to sell a million copies to get there but now 100,000 will get you to no1.

According to somebody working in the record indsutry that I know, RATM are 36,000 copies ahead of Joe!

I like the sound of that. Will be amusing on the chart show where they either have to have a cut version of the song with very few words or not have it altogether :lol:

Anything that is not from ****e factor and something christmasy but thats not gona happen is it really.

X Factor will not use my question when they interview Joe later :(

"How will you feel not being the Xmas no1?"

I thought it was a good question.

^ :lol:.

I'm sure Cowell and co. will do anything to get him to number 1 even if he is behind RATM. He will have people contantly downloading Joe's single or buying up boxes of the cds.

That same practice used to happen during the days when there were no downloads. Companies would buy up thousands of cds just to get higher in the charts.

Well we already know that on Friday, Cowell's bank account went down by £100,000 in one fell swoop.

Supposedly to beat Buckley to the Hallelujah number 1 with Burke.

He's done it before, he no doubt will again, it's pittance to him.