What's new

Christmas #1

Ollie said:
But it wasn't even Simon's artist that won. It was a young lad who's dreamt of being a great singer all his life but never had the chance.

They're all Simon's artists! You think Cheryl Cole is going to see a slice of the record sales?! The format of the show is completely irrelevant. I don't have anything against the kid really, but he's only 18. The "his whole life" argument is rubbish. There are thousands of kids just like him struggling to make a name for themselves. I don't begrudge him the success at all. I just find the whole thing really tasteless and it annoys me that people (in general) are stupid enough to buy into it.

I too am sick how many acts are coming for reality TV shows or Disney (the route of all evil :lol:), if you look at artists that have been discovered such as Pixie Lott and Lady Gaga, with the exception of Leona Lewis who was really a one off, they are generally alot better!

Ollie said:
But it wasn't even Simon's artist that won.

Hahaha, that's funny.

I don't care what's number one at Christmas, the chart stopped being an accurate representation of anything a long time ago.

Hey! I'm fron South Shields and I don't Give a **** about Joe! Same with X Factor. I also haven't heard Enough of RatM to warrent a purchase of their CD.

The Muppets however are Amazing.

Animal <3

Martyn said:
I don't care what's number one at Christmas, the chart stopped being an accurate representation of anything a long time ago.

Aside from an accurate representation of the best selling tunes that week?

Well, yes.

My point was that you don't need to sell a great deal of records to be number one any more.

LiveForTheLaunch said:
What is up with everyone being all obsessed with this muppet thing? It's retarded.

I...agree..with..Taylor :?

It's almost guaranteed to be X factor, which is a shame as xmas number one used to excite people and had charm to it. Now it's consistent, predictable and utter ****...

I'd rather an artist with real talent got the number 1 spot rather than some tiresome karaoke singer being puppeted by Simon Cowell.

I want either the Muppets or RaTM to get #1. X Factor pisses me off so much because all it does is destroy the music industry, it's not like they've even found 'talent'. (For the record, I think Leona Lewis is boring and unoriginal).

Unfortunately the Muppets don't really have a chance and Disney have only JUST caught onto all the hype surrounding it (I even got an email urging me to get the single!). I've heard it only recently entered the top 100 so yeah, it is defo between X Factor turd and RaTM.

I used to follow the music charts every week but I just gave up a couple of years ago as anyone could get a number 1 hit, got silly. I have to admit it has got a little bit better since adding the sales of the downloads, but still not great. I also think the Christmas #1 should be a CHRISTMAS-themed song. I think the last good battle for the top spot was when the Darkness released their Christmas track (I forget the year), was such a close call too.

So yeah, RaTM for Christmas #1

Steve Brookstein (he won the first X-Factor, I didn't know his name either) has joined the campaign saying X-Factor gave him nothing as he was dropped 12 weeks after he won the competition.

Rage Against The Machine are... crap. So, no. And I don't really like the Muppets thing... Not actually funny...

Joe is equally annoying, however, so, to conclude...

MAKE LADY GAGA NUMBER ONE FOR CHRISTMAS.

I've lost count of the number of group invites I've got on Facebook to make Muppets number one. It's not even that good.

I agree with Lain, Ben is silly, surely you can appreciate the awesomeness of a band even if you don't like the type of music they make? RAtM for the win!

Who are Rage Against the Machine? :?

I'm going to be doing the same as I do every year, and not buy any songs from any bands/artists. I may listen to them via Youtube/Spotify/Radio, but nothing more. :)

Joe will obviously be the Christmas no. 1, but I hope Lady Gaga's Bad Romance holds on to it for another week!

Personally, I dont think that the RATM song should get Christmas number 1. I mean seriously... a song that says **** off 16 times in a row.... oh yay, that is sure to get the Christmas spirit going....

In my eyes a Christmas number 1 should be something ultimately slushy (ballad) or insanely childish.

Everyone always goes on about how Christmas is for the kids/drunk adults partying and not caring and therefore I think its only right that the really young kids (and drunks) get a song released. Providing that Christmas is the only time this EVER happens!

This is a perfect time for the Muppets!

I don't want Joe to get it mainly because, well, it's not against him and more the show. Why should they get a guaranteed number 1 so damn easily every year... (Despite the fact that clearly the show is the most popular TV around this time of the year and therefore, if everyone buys the song then well, the majority of the British public have spoken... Has anyone else noticed how sooooooo many people seem to slate the show and the contestants, yet it gets bigger each year.... the irony!)

Personally, I take no notice of the charts, mainly because my musical taste has changed a lot since the 80s when I used to listen to the top 40!

Also the X Factor's not my cup of tea when it comes to programmes either :)

tks said:
I'd rather an artist with real talent got the number 1 spot rather than some tiresome karaoke singer being puppeted by Simon Cowell.

This (and Gavin's comment - LOL)!

Puppet or Muppet? At least the Muppets have creative talent (though doing a cover doesn't show that).

Mark, I think the reason the call is on for RatM is twofold.

1. It's a great song which hasn't lost impact, or appeal (to a certain set of musical tastes) for almost 20 years. It's an easy sell because a huge number of people like it.

2. It's the antithesis of an X-Factor release. It's as far to the opposite extreme as you can get from the karaoke pap Simon Cowell over-produces year in, year out.

I've bought the censored version though, which probably makes me a hypocrite or something.

Oddly, this is the first time I've bought a single since Barrel of a Gun (Depeche Mode), back in 1996 or so. I believe in supporting some artists though, when it will make an impact. Here, I want to support RatM for a song I've loved for almost two decades, and The Muppets because I've always loved them, and the entire family is a fan of them.

It's given me the opportunity to actually do something for a change, rather than standing in the pub over Christmas complaining about the piss-poor cover of a piss-poor song X-Factor have forced upon the nation. I can at least say "I not only didn't buy this song this year in protest, I went for the competition" :)

I do love Simon Cowell's comments on it. He says it's cynical... Well, year after year after year of the same sounding plop coming from your record label can do that Simon. I love the way the people behind the RatM thing have also set up charitable donations. So far their charity has made over £20,000.

So, you have a choice of "giving a boy his childhood dream (for three weeks before he vanishes forever after making Simon Cowell a fistful of money)", or supporting RatM and getting tens of thousands of pounds donated to charity?

Oh, that's probably a very cynical view... ;)