What's new

Chessington changes for 2012

6672-1.jpg

Joey said:
For the British audience to participate in when not abroad, and on top of that the effort of hiring actual actors??
Merlin go down that route with their Dungeons, Scares and Merlin (Warwick Castle) attractions although it does feel a little awkward to me.

Robbie said:
Joey said:
For the British audience to participate in when not abroad, and on top of that the effort of hiring actual actors??
Merlin go down that route with their Dungeons, Scares and Merlin (Warwick Castle) attractions although it does feel a little awkward to me.
Despite how much I think Dungeons is amazing - you're right, it IS awkward. It's also not the same as with a theme park, because I think you go to Dungeons expecting it? I don't know, but it is awkward, you're right.

This said, as anyone familiar with my recent attempt to get a job at SeaLife knows, they are increasingly centred on hiring people to entertain in all roles at all attractions. And on top of that, Chessington's entertainments team is pretty damn good. They have produced some very good shows and events in the last couple of years with minimal budgets.

I'm all for smiles and enthusiasm, but I think the British audience is one that hates being forced to participate? We don't like the full immersion, we like to know that we're still in the gritty, real, damp and miserable world. It's literally my worst nightmare to be forced to interact when I'm not in the mood, and It's clear watching other people that most people are the same in the UK. I remember being encouraged to harass people into interacting when I was working at Chessington, and feeling quite embarrassed to do so when some guests clearly want to be left alone? I really don't know how I feel about the whole thing. On one hand, the effort being made is rather exciting... And on the other, awkward? Maybe Britain is increasingly ready for this though and just needs a little push? Maybe Merlin is doing the right thing, I don't know.

There is also the issue of, with this Jeep thing, the actors have to be VERY good... Or... it's terrible. And being very good is hard. Even at Disney and Universal, you can get an actor sometimes who's just below the superior standard, and the whole thing falls apart. It's not like theming where anything from meh-superior is good, it HAS to be amazing, otherwise it's a joke.

Sorry, but where has there been any mention anywhere of actors?

Not happening.

I said I highly doubt it would have actors, for the same reasons you're undoubtably suspecting, lmao... But then I went on to consider, actually... it might... Given their recent obsession with entertainments at Chessington in particular.

The thing with a jeep safari is that it's going to need someone real there as a guide, isn't it? A recording won't be able to predict what the animals are actually doing.

That said, Legoland's Atlantis just spouts random facts about all the fish in the tank on the basis you'll pass one of them at some point.

I don't see why it would need a guide at all. You don't have a guide when you drive through a safari park, of which this will likely be a mini version.

Other parks have got safari attractions (Everland for one), and yeah, there's obviously a driver, but otherwise it's just a bus ride through a bunch of animal enclosures.

I'd say the Chessington version will be much closer to that (even then on a much, much smaller scale) than it will be to a guided, action-packed, Rhino Rally type "experience".

I am highly dissapointed that Chessie are not getting a majour new ride/coaster this year.
Actually how did Thorpe celebrate their 25 anniversary???
If I remember correctly there was no real additions to the park that year.
Anyway back on topic, I am praying that 2013 will bring us something amazing!

gavin said:
I don't see why it would need a guide at all. You don't have a guide when you drive through a safari park, of which this will likely be a mini version.

Other parks have got safari attractions (Everland for one), and yeah, there's obviously a driver, but otherwise it's just a bus ride through a bunch of animal enclosures.

I'd say the Chessington version will be much closer to that (even then on a much, much smaller scale) than it will be to a guided, action-packed, Rhino Rally type "experience".
I was thinking that at a Safari Park it's usually you or your family doing the driving but here you're with a bunch of strangers so might need someone to keep things zipping along, but fair enough.

I've never actually been to Chessington (hopefully this year) so don't know how big their space is.

gavin said:

I actually disagree with this. I think it wil be more of an "experience" style thing than that (I think it will be on a small scale and have the potential to be embarrassingly bad), simply because that's Merlin's style right now and they have been copying Busch's ideas, but actors...? Mm nah.

gavin said:

You actually say the reason, right there. At a safari park, you drive your own vehicle. With this, the vehicle is the park's.

I'm just kicking myself that I was actually quite confident that we had misinterpreted it, and that the area was simply going to be rethemed around the country of Madagascar, not just a crappy IP. But damn it, I was wrong...

Images have been added to the application

http://maps.kingston.gov.uk/isis_main/I ... No=1210008

Going to have a look in a sec as soon as my soup pings!

UPDATE: Outline -

Referred to as "a significant investment in the park for the 2013 season". Construction expected to start in "Spring 2012" with the animals being introducted in October 2012. They're aiming to get this through in the March 2012 planning committee.

Entrance will be via a bridge round the back of Rameses. This will all sit in the field behind the current one where the zebras etc live (ie, behind it from the pov of the hotel). It will have a themed entrance arch thing. There will also be some kind of link between this new area and Wanyama to allow access to hotel guests.

The ride - The pre-show will have space for 70 people and will consist of a 3min animated video, to include back-story and health and safety info. It will use "motion-capture real time interactive technology".

The safari trucks will drive through new enclosures for flamingos, rhinos and giraffes. It will be done in large trucks, driven by a member of staff (very similar to the ones for Magma 2 at Movieland Italy). Trucks will have 35 person capacity and will travel at a max speed of 8km/hr. There will be a max of 5 trucks - 2 loading and 3 on the "track". The track is basically a concrete/gravel road that the trucks will drive round. During its circuit, it will pass through not only the animal enclosures but also two splash zones and a "finale cave and water experience".

Noise report refers to "pre-recorded music or amplified speech from narration that will be used within the vehicles"

They've turned half of the shop into a café too. Probably old news to our resident Chessington goon, but Will and I were taken completely by surprise.

Oh I am so happy they are putting the entrance by Ramases. Might breath some life into the area.

God it is huge. It takes up that entire back field. It's kind of a shame but I guess what else CAN they build?

Nice find Nic.

LMAO at parts of the noise report. They've clearly had some poor sod sat there googling "how noisy are Giraffes" and "what does a flamingo sound like?" Seriously, page 8, it's made me laugh. A lot. Everyone in the office is now giving me funny looks.

Joey, this has clearly gone up in the last 24 hours. Not that I've checked every lunchtime this week or anything...

Ben, this is true. Assuming, of course, that it doesn't get pulled/cancelled/altered between now and then.