What's new

Chessington changes for 2012

^ That's great news Peep, any idea where in the park it's meant to be going?

On the land at the back of the hotel maybe?

It'll be on the 22 acre field that is semi occupied by Wanyama. One presumes the reserve will become part of this attraction.

peep said:
It'll be on the 22 acre field that is semi occupied by Wanyama. One presumes the reserve will become part of this attraction.

Yeah they implied something like that during the Asia thing didn't they?

I don't like the Madagascar tie in whatsoever (especially after they said it was something they wanted to avoid) but perhaps they needed help with the funding of the area retheme?

Safari thing sounds awesome, something a bit different for the London area haha. Hopefully they make it as good as it can be, and some a half arsed jobby.

Also:

dreamworks-vs-pixar.jpg

I'll be surprised if the safari jeep thing happens, because half way through someone will get another bright idea.

I'm being half sarcastic.

I wonder if the jeep thing will be extra pay? It's like that at Busch isn't it?

Even if it does happen, it's still essentially a zoo attraction.

Fair enough, it's better than a basic zoo refurb (you know, the usual "NEW PAIN OF GLASS FOR THE MONKEY HOUSE!!!!!!!" topics we usually get), but let's not start touting this as the UK equivalent of Disney's Animal Kingdom just yet.

Joey said:
I'll be surprised if the safari jeep thing happens, because half way through someone will get another bright idea.

I'm being half sarcastic.

I wonder if the jeep thing will be extra pay? It's like that at Busch isn't it?

Rhino Rally was free but apparently there is an upcharge for the safari jeeps (although we didn't do it). It all depends on what sort of 'jeep' attraction this is...

I have no idea what the difference between the Jeeps and Rhino Rally is, to be honest. I've done neither.

I don't think this will have the narrative backing that Animal Kingdom's has... Even though Merlin have increasingly took that route, I think it's too ...hm, stupid? For the British audience to participate in when not abroad, and on top of that the effort of hiring actual actors? Haha... Although I guess it could just have an onboard speaker narration?

Perhaps. If it is not going to have actors, I reckon on-board audio is most likely, like Safari Skyway... But if you odn't have actors how do you keep an eye of everyone? I reckon they might just go with the actors option tbh. They were quite clear that they wanted to be like Busch Gardens so it could be possible?

Basically the Rhino Rally is like the Animal Kingdom Safari thing - with a story and all that maguffins aswell as the animals. They apparently offer an upcharge to have a proper safari on a jeep too.

I think if they are actual drivable jeeps they will have a driver, but they won't act... Or they will be on some kind of track and have restraints.

And I see, that's cool!

As much as they say they want to be like BGT, they aren't taking steps to make that reality in any other way, so I dunno why they would here.

At Busch, the safari jeep you pay for is a 'real' safari experience. You go out onto the plains, see some animals up close and feed some of them.

Rhino Rally is a thrill ride version of the Safari ride. You have a tour guide driving your jeep, start to go around the track like you would on a normal safari but then 'something goes wrong!!!' Bridge collapses, your truck floats down the river. It's pretty fun. Although it doesn't do that anymore because Cheetah Hunt spited it.

The Animal Kingdom safari is the best one. A really varied array of animals and exhibits and a cute, 'believable' storyline to supplement this if the animals aren't up to much. Good times.

All three versions are supervised, I can't see a safari attraction working properly without a ranger type person to guide you. Wouldn't feel right.

I really hope they do not charge for this, but I bet the standard pass holders have to pay and the premium holders either get a discount or get it for free.

If they made an interesting, well themed course with some well designed exhibits and interesting animals, I'd definitely be up for this.

However, if it liteally is a sit in the back of a van and drive through a field of grazin zebra, then this can go die.