What's new

Cedar Point | Steel Vengeance | RMC I-Box (Mean Streak Conversion)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I've been able to ride front, back, and middle a number of times now - it is interesting how different some elements are in different parts of the train. The top hat and outerbank elements are phenomenally brilliant in the front with strong ejector; in the back of the train however, it's a more tug sensation. Other airtime hills also felt a bit different - this is unique versus other RMCs which I felt gave the same ride, regardless of train position. I also cannot get over the first barrel roll, and how it offers very true floater airtime, moreso than I have ever experienced on a B&M Zero-G.

codeman94

Mega Poster
At least I'm not hiding it! lol

I will admit that one of the reasons I can't make Steven my #1 is that I have no nostalgia for it. I rode Millennium Force for the first time in its opening season when I was 14. It was the last ride I ever rode "scared," and I conquered it. I love it for more reasons than just the ride. If someone wants to say that Steven is their favorite coaster, I won't argue with them, because I can totally see why it could be.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
After 18 rides on Vengeance now, it honestly is the best coaster I've ever ridden. The first drop is nuts, the outward banked hill tries to kill you, the zero-g and its amazing floating sensation make the first half incredibly enjoyable. However, the 2nd half is by far the stronger half of the ride. Every time I've ridden I still get the same sense of disorientation upon entering the structure after the double up/outward banked drop. The wave turns and inversions in the structure are so good (especially if the trim is disabled...) and finally the last bunny hills, despite being a little excessive, wrap the ride up perfectly.

Vengeance at this point is the only ride I will wait more than a half an hour for at CP (Being a ride op this year has made me a little spoiled) and it is well worth it every time I ride. I don't know how CP will top Vengeance but I have a gut feeling they will in 2020.

Snoo

The Legend
At least I'm not hiding it! lol

I will admit that one of the reasons I can't make Steven my #1 is that I have no nostalgia for it. I rode Millennium Force for the first time in its opening season when I was 14. It was the last ride I ever rode "scared," and I conquered it. I love it for more reasons than just the ride. If someone wants to say that Steven is their favorite coaster, I won't argue with them, because I can totally see why it could be.

See. You're logical with your reasoning and I can appreciate that 100% as I was around 11 when I did the same as you. There are those enthusiasts that like it for no other reason then it's MF and they can't break that mold for no other reason then their own Cedar Point fanboyism. I hate that type of person because they're unwilling to broaden their visibility because of sheer stubbornness.

After 18 rides on Vengeance now, it honestly is the best coaster I've ever ridden. The first drop is nuts, the outward banked hill tries to kill you, the zero-g and its amazing floating sensation make the first half incredibly enjoyable. However, the 2nd half is by far the stronger half of the ride. Every time I've ridden I still get the same sense of disorientation upon entering the structure after the double up/outward banked drop. The wave turns and inversions in the structure are so good (especially if the trim is disabled...) and finally the last bunny hills, despite being a little excessive, wrap the ride up perfectly.

Vengeance at this point is the only ride I will wait more than a half an hour for at CP (Being a ride op this year has made me a little spoiled) and it is well worth it every time I ride. I don't know how CP will top Vengeance but I have a gut feeling they will in 2020.

See, I don't think CP can top it with current ride models out there. I think they will make a good ride but nothing that will beat that simply because we've been waiting for an RMC to emerge at the point and they did that with the biggest and baddest version you could imagine. What models don't they have, besides a RMC Topper, could beat that? I'm down for another woodie at CP because.. you know.. they only have one.. but they're limited as HELL at what they can build.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
See. You're logical with your reasoning and I can appreciate that 100% as I was around 11 when I did the same as you. There are those enthusiasts that like it for no other reason then it's MF and they can't break that mold for no other reason then their own Cedar Point fanboyism. I hate that type of person because they're unwilling to broaden their visibility because of sheer stubbornness.

See, I don't think CP can top it with current ride models out there. I think they will make a good ride but nothing that will beat that simply because we've been waiting for an RMC to emerge at the point and they did that with the biggest and baddest version you could imagine. What models don't they have, besides a RMC Topper, could beat that? I'm down for another woodie at CP because.. you know.. they only have one.. but they're limited as HELL at what they can build.
Realistically, I see it being a B&M giga. I kinda misphrased when saying it could top Vengeance but a 350’ giga would give CP another hit with the GP.

As for the space issue, they did just tear down Sandcastle Suites. However it seems like something else would have to go in order to accommodate something of that caliber.

Or GCI finally rolls in and puts a woodie at Shoot the Rapids. Even though Frontier Fling is there, nothing looks too permanent.

Pear

Strata Poster
I will admit that one of the reasons I can't make Steven my #1 is that I have no nostalgia for it. I rode Millennium Force for the first time in its opening season when I was 14. It was the last ride I ever rode "scared," and I conquered it.

That was me when I got over my fear of heights with Bizarro/Superman at SFNE. Even though it did make me more of an enthusiast, I think the ride is crap.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

If life was like RCT and I were in charge of Cedar Point, I don't think I'd try to top Steel Vengeance just yet. The park has a high-quality coaster of just about every type on the market, and there aren't any obvious niches to fill or products offered that could bring an even bigger thrill to the park. At least, none that are tested and proven.

However, in terms of "stepping stone coasters", Cedar Point hasn't had anything in almost twenty years. Woodstock Express from 1999 is the most recent coaster at the park in the family/kiddie category, and the only one apart from 1979's Wilderness Run. Cedar Point could do well with another family coaster, possibly retiring one of the two existing ones. Much has happened since 1999 technology-wise, the coasters are cheap to build, and they could even try to theme it. A family launch coaster would be a cool addition, maybe even something on the scale of BGW's Verbolten (minus the drop track). Something that doesn't go too tall or upside down, bridging the gap between family rides and thrill rides.

Hm, or maybe a Flyer. I just realized they don't have one of those yet.

NAPayne31

Mega Poster
If life was like RCT and I were in charge of Cedar Point, I don't think I'd try to top Steel Vengeance just yet. The park has a high-quality coaster of just about every type on the market, and there aren't any obvious niches to fill or products offered that could bring an even bigger thrill to the park. At least, none that are tested and proven.

However, in terms of "stepping stone coasters", Cedar Point hasn't had anything in almost twenty years. Woodstock Express from 1999 is the most recent coaster at the park in the family/kiddie category, and the only one apart from 1979's Wilderness Run. Cedar Point could do well with another family coaster, possibly retiring one of the two existing ones. Much has happened since 1999 technology-wise, the coasters are cheap to build, and they could even try to theme it. A family launch coaster would be a cool addition, maybe even something on the scale of BGW's Verbolten (minus the drop track). Something that doesn't go too tall or upside down, bridging the gap between family rides and thrill rides.

Hm, or maybe a Flyer. I just realized they don't have one of those yet.
A family coaster up near Kiddie Kingdom would be perfect. That area is due for a spruce up and it’d provide a good contrast to the B&M’s up there.

Matt N

CF Legend
Is it only me who can picture Cedar Point building the world's first kiddie coaster over 100ft or similar? Seems like a very Cedar Point thing to do. Or maybe even... the world's first hyper kiddie coaster!

Fluorineer

Mega Poster
I mean, obviously there's still a bunch of record categories that are up for being cracked by CP, but the question is if CP is up for being gimmicky again (as with their last 2 B&Ms, sorry) or if they want to break into the world-class category once more after Steve.

Someone mentioned a wooden coaster, and already I can see a bunch of problems with what CP might want here:
obviously a GCI would fit into their line-up perfectly, but theres 2 major issues here: breaking a World Record with a GCI is near impossible, and they also have Mystic Timers in KI, and Cedar Fair has done a really great job in the past in keeping CP and KI apples and oranges. A GCI in Cedar Point might just cannibalize the best coaster in KI, and why would they do that.
If they want to break a world record with a Woody, there's no way around an Intamin-Woody. They could to world's tallest and world's steepest, up their Hypercoaster-Count to 7 (!!) and if they're being really extra, they might do the world's longest (even though that's one of the less likely categories imo). Would they start working with Intamin again though? Especially for a somewhat "exotic" model in their portfolio, where a typical business-mindest just sees problems arriving left and right? I really don't see it, even though an Intamin Woody would be near perfect for them.

Another thing could be a 15 inversion coaster. Personally, I think that would be a great replacement for Corcscrew. It would be somewhat easy to keep the double corcscrew over the midway, and this coaster really doesn't provide enough historical relevance compared to some others (especially New Revolution) to justify this poor ride experience. I just don't know who's supposed to build a coaster like that. Gerstlauer? At CP? Really? I mean, they've got in touch with each other at Knott's but that doesn't have to mean anything. If you're looking for a compact sit-down multi-looper with a steep drop, well no surprise you ended up with Gerst. Also, since (at least the way I imagine it) this would be a replacement, I don't see them doing it before they cracked the 20-coaster-mark. I mean, they could also include the world's steepest drop into this, then there's really no way around Gerstlauer, and if CP has any interest in that category, they better hurry up because it's just a matter of time until somebody builds a 179-degree coaster and then we're officially capped out.

Then we're left with family and flying-coasters, and those are both categories that scream Vekoma. I'm still surprised that CP went with Valravn (sorry, but that coaster really does absoulte zero for their line-up) instead of a B&M-flyer, but with F.L.Y. opening next year, maybe they just were waiting for additional options since they were not satisfied with the possibilites B&M's model had to offer them. I doubt it because Valravn also has some serious issues that give the impression CP doesn't care about the actual ride experience beyond world records, but on the other hand Steve proves that wrong again. But even if a flyer is not in the cards, what speaks against replacing Iron Dragon with a Vekoma Suspended Family Coaster? Make it the longest in the world, include a "family-friendly" LSM-launch and some wacky maneuvers, why the heck not? Especially in Europe, the market for family-coasters is thriving, and I don't see why that trend shouldn't be able to make it across the pond.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Imagine a coaster with a 270° drop.

How about 400?

SUF04.jpg

(source)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
If I had to guess, I'd say CP want's to break a "Major Record". Height, Speed Length are what i personally consider major. Which of those they might attempt i haven't the slightest clue that's just where my gut's at. That and Tony Clark teasing it right as SteVe opened makes me believe they're planning something huge.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
If I had to guess, I'd say CP want's to break a "Major Record". Height, Speed Length are what i personally consider major. Which of those they might attempt i haven't the slightest clue that's just where my gut's at. That and Tony Clark teasing it right as SteVe opened makes me believe they're planning something huge.

They could also go for "world's newest coaster", a coveted top spot that is usually only held for hours or even minutes.

Matt N

CF Legend
They could go for a Polercoaster and try to open it before the ones in Florida & Georgia open. It would continue the coveted Cedar Point tradition of being the first to go over a certain height (Magnum XL-200 - First to exceed 200ft, Millennium Force - First to exceed 300ft, Top Thrill Dragster - First to exceed 400ft), so it would be rather fitting if Cedar Point had the first coaster to exceed 500ft. It would also fit in a relatively small plot of land if Skyscraper in Orlando is anything to go by!