What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

12gk5.jpg

Boom. From All American Thrills. No clue who actually took it.

I'm quite surprised at how quiet this thread has been!

Ususally new CP coasters have a big following, plus lots of regular updates. And we must surely have a lot more American members than when Maverick was being built? Is there a lack of interest all over the web, or just CF?

^There wasn't a ton of photos being taken and it was mostly piles of sand and footers if there were. I don't think it is just CF though, the CP fansite that I visit (Pointbuzz) seems to be rather dull compared to Maverick's construction. I don't think it is the sites fault really, I think it is because there is far more information available on sites like Facebook.

I think things will start to pick up now that it has gone vertical though. :--D

Maverick's construction took a solid two years, beginning with the demolition of White Water Landing in 2005. Intamin track began arriving during the off-season, yet we hadn't a clue as to what was being built. In 2006, the new ride was Skyhawk. Naturally, Cedar Point wanted to focus the media on that, yet they quietly began construction of Maverick by pouring footers early 2006 and piecing together track by the middle of the season. Since Cedar Point would not officially release details, coaster geeks were left to speculate for a solid year and a half. They did not announce the ride until late-season 2006.

Obviously it is a different story with GateKeeper, we have only known of its true existence for a matter of months - not years. Cedar Point was extremely efficient with tearing down Disaster Transport and Space Spiral - I was only riding both rides three months ago! Since it has been a much smaller interval of time, we haven't had enough opportunity to speculate, postulate, and fornicate (It's Cedar Point afterall).

Maverick was also a unique, one-of-a-kind design. GateKeeper is obviously a predecessor of The Swarm, X-Flight, and Raptor; very similar in layout, just a bit bigger and faster. So there will naturally be less to talk about as we already have running examples.

Oh, and Skyrush also kind of blew up. :lol:

Having the image leak a week before the announcement also didn't help. :wink:

Good points Hyde. The less we know, the more interested we are. Kinda ironic...ah well. I think this coaster looks fantastic but I know it will be a while until I get back up to CP. We know pretty much everything there is to know about Gatekeeper besides how it actually feels to ride it. I don't expect any big surprises considering the "surprise/secret" for Leviathan was a lame excuse for a tunnel. That said, definitely looking forward to seeing some construction pics :D

Wasn't Maverick kept under wraps? So there was constant speculation. Here, we've seen everything right at the start so there's nothing really to discuss... Hmmmmmm, maybe Alton ARE doing something right...

As long as they don't do it like Busch Gardens Williamsburg does, it's good in my book.

furie said:
Wasn't Maverick kept under wraps? So there was constant speculation. Here, we've seen everything right at the start so there's nothing really to discuss... Hmmmmmm, maybe Alton ARE doing something right...
Bingo.

Hyde244 said:
furie said:
Bingo.

OR it could be that nobody is really super excited about this? At least I'm not, anyway. I'm way, WAY more excited for that GCI at Great America than this..or really any new 2013 ride. The wingriders, unless they start doing some really extreme new stuff (and this IS a step in the right direction, mind you) don't get under my skin all that well.

Probably because Wild Eagle underwhelmed and Thunderhead was :--D :--D :--D :--D in comparison

There is definitely excitement around GateKeeper. It will be the tallest, fastest wing rider; tallest inversion in the world. Plenty to look forward to.

Discussion is mute because the layout doesn't bring anything new to the table. We've already seen zero-clearance inversions. We've already seen pretzel loops. We've already seen inverting first drops. It is a great layout - just not new.

^^ I`m super hyped about this, infact I would say I`m more hyped about this than I was for any recent coaster, even the UK installations.

Why? Not too sure really, I think its all to do with aesthetics, it really looks beautiful, from all angles, the coulors, transitions, the keyholes and the trains all look visually stunning.
From the POV, the first drop and keyholes look incredible, couple with that the overall smoothness of the ride and I think this has a good chance of changing peoples opinion of Wingriders.

Ether way, for those reasons it`s definitely the new coaster of 2013 that I`m looking forward too the most, much more so than SW7.

Yeah I agree with whats been said previous that this topic is reasonably quiet due to the fact that everything is out there, there is nothing to speculate, nothing to debate, and yeah like Hyde244 said, nothing really innovative in the layout design, apart from perhaps the ride flying over the park entrance, but that don`t really effect the actual on-ride experience.

I like this topic like this though, because I haven't got to fumble through 7 pages of blah blah, to find updates on the ride I`m most looking forward too next year. :)