What's new

Cedar Point | "GateKeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Rest assured - Ohio has one of the most extensive laws and inspections overseeing amusement park operation in the United States.

Tourism is the fourth largest industry for the state, and number one for Erie county. The last thing Ohio needs is for there to be an equipment failure.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Panning back to the photos I posted, as Lance posted on Screamscape, there is now a definite gapping hole in the Wicked Twister midway. It is weird to see so much blue sky with the Space Spiral standing so seemingly vacant. DT's footprint was immense, which has drastically changed the skyline on this side of the park.

SaiyanHajime

CF Legend
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

How much more cost are we talking, out of nosey?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Considering we have yet to be given a total cost of any of the four WingRiders thus far. :wink:

bmac

Giga Poster
Why's Raptor so much cheaper compared to the other ones? It has themeing just like Swarm and yet is the same price as X-Flight which only has a keyhole. Was there a discount for being the first to have one built or something?

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
bmac said:
Why's Raptor so much cheaper compared to the other ones? It has themeing just like Swarm and yet is the same price as X-Flight which only has a keyhole. Was there a discount for being the first to have one built or something?

As far as I am aware, a prototype coaster type is indeed discounted. Whether this is a fake legend coming from the days of Olbivion and Air I am unsure.

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Yeah, that was an expensive themeing operation for Thorpe. It looked amazing in the end, but I don't think that that ride and its themeing was worth $30 million. That's just ridiculous.

And as for X-Flight, that seems a little on the high side. Raging Bull probably only cost ~$18-$20 million.

On Wild Eagle, the only reason for the price of that thing is that amazing sculpture out in front. That must have cost a fortune :)

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster
gopats1479 said:
Yeah, that was an expensive themeing operation for Thorpe. It looked amazing in the end, but I don't think that that ride and its themeing was worth $30 million. That's just ridiculous.

And as for X-Flight, that seems a little on the high side. Raging Bull probably only cost ~$18-$20 million.

On Wild Eagle, the only reason for the price of that thing is that amazing sculpture out in front. That must have cost a fortune :)

UC said:
Swarm is a bit larger than Raptor, so I'm sure that accounts for some of the cost, and I imagine Swarm's number also contains provision for the land prep work (remember, it's built on its own island) and infrastructure as well as the base ride cost. It makes no sense for Swarm and GateKeeper to be roughly the same cost when GateKeeper is around 75% bigger.

andrus

Giga Poster
bmac said:
I don't know if it's been confirmed, but screamscape wrote back even when the ride still was just a rumour that Gardaland would get it for "free" (ie only material coast). This was due to it being a prototype and with the favour in return that B&M should get access to the ride whenever they want to do further tests and reaserch to eventually develop a 4D coaster. Screamscap has erased this information now, but I'm pretty sure it was somewhat like this!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
All that about ground preparation is huge. X-Flight was built on flat, cleared land. Swarm is built on reclaimed land. Wild Eagle sits atop a large hill. What is Raptor built on? Flat land, IIRC.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Here are some upclose photos of the wreckage after the blast. Rather erie seeing the ride so destroyed.

http://www.norwalkreflector.com/content ... allery-283

This is what Cedar Point looked like when Space Spiral was built in 1965. (map is from 1969)

134885-NAHSZ0Q.jpg

This is what Cedar Point looks like when Space Spiral is removed.

CPMAP_wLUMO.jpg

It was the first ride to truly impact the Cedar Point skyline, and saw a tremendous amount of change over 47 years of operation.

Error

Strata Poster
Re: Cedar Point | "Gatekeeper" | B&M Wingrider

Just visited cedar point this past weekend. Dear god, the area feels so empty.

Sent while out and about

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Error said:
^Point, I need to know it...
Just giving props to Thorpe Park. Without them we would never have this. :roll: