What's new

Camelot - Closed for good

Martyn B

CF Legend
Excalibur II being put up at New Pleasureland:

188804_560891273935291_848304836_n.jpg

I had completely forgot this place even exsisted! And it sounds like it has become a proper permanent attraction. Well done to them for keeping it going, I guess they must be doing something right...?

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder if the people who are now outraged* were people opposed to development (like replacing Tower of Terror) which helped Camelot along the way to failure? If so, just desserts :)

*Though the council have no plans for homes, or they haven't received an envelope filled with cash yet to allow them to deliberate on the possibilities of homes - not that all local councils are bent, of course.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I wonder if one half of the new estate will look rather nice and value for money, yet the other half will feel rushed and out of place? And after a few years of not investing in the infrastructure, the estate will fall into a state of disrepair.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^and be inhabited by disinterested, gum-popping chavs trying to get you to part with a few quid for "thowing summat in this hole."

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I did that once and was faced with a cotton bud and a course of antibiotics :(

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Some really good shots of Knightmare in the first link.

I'm glad to see it's nearly gone now, no chance of it coming back to life <3

And why hasn't anybody taken the wonderful, amazing, Schwarzkopf coaster yet?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Good photos. I thought the pirate ship had gone, but clearly not!

Knightmare has apparently been sold, but as it's not moved yet I'm guessing it'll be Oakwood's "new" 2014 coaster.

Darren B

Giga Poster
Actually disappointed this park has closed. So ok I believe people when they say it was a sh1t hole, but the first hand experience would have been nice.

Looking forward to Knightmare being relocated though, if only to see the Scwarzkopt fanboys cream themselves when it gets erected!

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Darren B said:
Actually disappointed this park has closed. So ok I believe people when they say it was a sh1t hole, but the first hand experience would have been nice.

Looking forward to Knightmare being relocated though, if only to see the Scwarzkopt fanboys cream themselves when it gets erected!

Teehee! - Erected! :oops:

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
nadroJ said:
Needs more red.

That's the colour of the blood of the thousand children sacrificed by the Chorley locals to get the park closed down and turned into a housing development. It's like The Wicker Man only with less burning up there... ;)

Oh, hi Robbie ;)

Darren B said:

It kind of was and wasn't. I mean, Ocean Beach in Rhyl before it closed was a **** hole. I'm sure lots of people can think of lots of places that actually deserve the title much more than Camelot did.

It just hadn't been cared for for 15 years or so. Even when it was cared for, the construction wasn't of particularly high quality. You know the grotty worm thing at Alton Towers in Story Book land? That's what most of Camelot was like, only the grotty worm thing actually looked good to start with. The stuff at Camelot was kind of travelling fair ghost train quality to start with - so imagine what it was like after 15 years of neglect.

However, the rides were relatively tidy and it didn't feel dangerous or like you were going to get mugged to feed a heroin addiction. There were some areas smelled of raw sewage and some areas you would wash your hands after touching (unfortunately, those places tended to be the toilet sinks ;) ). Generally though, it wasn't kind of utterly dreadful, but it wasn't as bad as people would have you imagine.

The shows were good, and the on park entertainers were actually pretty talented.

It was just full of "meh" though for an enthusiast and it was a little too unkempt for families (we were offered a free trip there every year with my Dad's work, but Madmame_Furie refused to go again). Gullivers in Warrington is suffering a little of the same too, but there's something Gullivers has Camelot didn't - I don't know what it is though.

If you ever go to Gullivers Warrington, Camelot was like that; only with less "atmosphere", a huge swathe of concrete for half the park and if Gullivers hadn't been touched by human hands for five years.