What's new

Camelot - Closed for good

Lofty

CF Legend
The problem is, the lack of security and giving a **** has let loads of little yobs in, as well as Urbexers. They don't give a **** about the place now so will just let it rot.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
So if these were insurance related deliberate fires who would be benefiting? Is the site still owned by the theme park operators or the housing company?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
SilverArrow said:
So if these were insurance related deliberate fires who would be benefiting? Is the site still owned by the theme park operators or the housing company?
Storey own the entire site apart from the Hotel complex (and it's related conference building and car park). When they purchased the land years back they closed Camelot almost immediately, then the housing crash happened so they kept the park running a few more years. There's room for 1000 houses on the land they own but they only submitted for 418 (apparently because if they built any more they'd also have to provide things like schools and medical services).

To be fair, I doubt the fires are deliberate but it could be that security is somewhat lax now. As Lofty says, Storey don't care. The place is in limbo.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
As people have said, on 28 days later once the major rides went security left them which is bad because yobs are going to have fun burning things or going to vandalise the property.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Ok, thanks for the clarification Robbie.

Has Knightmare finally gone now then? Does it have a new park or is it just in storage?

cjbrandy

Hyper Poster
How much would it cost to relocate Knightmare to Drayton Manor and spruce it up a bit? They aren't made of money like Merlin and they need another good coaster to strengthen their line up. Knightmare would fit right in. It doesn't take up ridiculous amounts of space and it has one of the highest max G force in the world. Over 5G at one point which is really good.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ That'll drop when nobody buys it and they realise how much it will cost for them to remove it themselves.

They should probably just give it away for the cost of removal to be honest.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Robbie said:
SilverArrow said:
Has Knightmare finally gone now then? Does it have a new park or is it just in storage?
It's still there, rusting away.

Ok, thanks. I assumed when jj23w said that all of the major rides had left that it was included, but alas not!

Seems such a shame, but it's the same story as Twist and Shout so I suppose it's not surprising!

Martyn B

CF Legend
At least Twist n Shout was in a relatively good condition, I ccan't believe nobody has snapped that up yet!

Knightmare's just a dump, and a rusty one at that.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Any further news on the park and/or Knightmare (or Twist and Shout)?

Now that it's all gone quiet it seems like the scrapheap is inevitable.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
SilverArrow said:

Storey Group are working on a considerably smaller housing proposal, the hotel, banqueting suite and club are doing very good business, and the theme park (with it's remaining rides) is just rotting away.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Robbie said:
SilverArrow said:

Storey Group are working on a considerably smaller housing proposal, the hotel, banqueting suite and club are doing very good business, and the theme park (with it's remaining rides) is just rotting away.

Ok, thanks. It sounds like it's the end of the ride for both of those coasters unfortunately.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Recent application for housing refused again...
Site owners said they will not reapply,
so we seem to be at a stalemate.

rob666

Hyper Poster
Nice to see
That it is catching,
O wise one...

Damn, that's three five three,
not five seven then a five... :--D
Well done with yours though!

Got it right second time...

Colossus

Giga Poster
What a state, I had a couple of opportunities to go but didn't, shame really.

I wonder how much longer it will sit like this before it is all eventually demolished?