What's new

Busch Gardens Williamsburg |"Verbolten"| Multi-Launch Zierer

Re: "Verbolten" Multi-Launch Zierer for BGWilliamsburg

It does SORTA fit.. if they were going to for a German off-road adventure.. I think.. isn't that it?

Yeah.

The Black Forest is in Germany.

This ride, themed to the Black Forest, is in the Germany section.

How doesn't it fit?

The one thing that maybe makes it not fit, is all the rest are themed around mythical "things"... Apollo, the Griffin, the Ghost of the Alps, and Nessis... but, still...

No, I think the theming for this is odd too. It's almost as if someone in marketing thought cars were a theme they needed to latch onto so they forcibly wove it into a more mythical fantasy story. The whole car thing is the only part of this ride I dislike. It's the way it's so obscurely forced into it and doesn't relate to the rest of the park's whimsical, fantasy themes of romanticised family-friendly European niceness that couldn't be further from the truth.

Joey said:
No, I think the theming for this is odd too. It's almost as if someone in marketing thought cars were a theme they needed to latch onto so they forcibly wove it into a more mythical fantasy story. The whole car thing is the only part of this ride I dislike. It's the way it's so obscurely forced into it and doesn't relate to the rest of the park's whimsical, fantasy themes of romanticised family-friendly European niceness that couldn't be further from the truth.

Perhaps they want the ride to feel as if some sort of tourists who get lost in a forest and are derailed by lightning, slippery roads and scary conditions etc.
Thats what the advertisement video seemed like to me.
Sure it doesnt really go with the usual mythological creatures, but I still like it.

Dunno if it has been posted, but it has gone vertical. The indoor section is up.

CLICK HERE

So what colour is this?

Yellow (Leaked concept art)

Green (official concept art)

and Black (indoor section)

What is it? :?

I'm actually pretty impressed by the track shaping and such. Maybe I was too pessimistic at the beginning of this.

As for the theming and ride narrative, I like it a lot. Driving through the countryside and then things go horribly wrong...Classic type of narrative paired with a pretty unique coaster style (launch/drop). I'm not sure I could argue why it belongs in Busch Gardens, but I don't see it fitting anywhere else much better. At least in America.

Perhaps. And I don't doubt it will be a great coaster so I am still excited to see how it all turns out.

Joey said:
The whole car thing is the only part of this ride I dislike. It's the way it's so obscurely forced into it and doesn't relate to the rest of the park's whimsical, fantasy themes of romanticised family-friendly European niceness that couldn't be further from the truth.
But the Germans love their cars, and have a bit of a history when it comes to racing and car manufacturing, don't they?

And the German section already has 'Der Autobahn' bumper cars doesn't it?
And there used to be a 'Le Mans' car ride too (Presumably in the French area)

So why wont a car themed attraction fit in again?

Gazza said:
Joey said:
The whole car thing is the only part of this ride I dislike. It's the way it's so obscurely forced into it and doesn't relate to the rest of the park's whimsical, fantasy themes of romanticised family-friendly European niceness that couldn't be further from the truth.
But the Germans love their cars, and have a bit of a history when it comes to racing and car manufacturing, don't they?

Have you been to the park? I dunno, just.... Doesn't work at BGW. And it doesn't work paired with the mythical forest theme. It just all feels a bit forced.

On top of that I think car themes are a cop-out, frankly. I just don't like them anywhere. They are almost always used in place of actually thinking creativity. Always. Or, just as a marketing ploy because CARS ARE COOL or something.

The entire indoors section has been up for a couple of days.

I really like the theme, I can't agree. It's the one part of the ride I like.

Sure, cars have been done to death, but, this is an interesting spin on the idea, so I don't mind.

And I think it fits into BGW. Certainly fits into the Germany section, almost more than BBW I'd say. All of it just screams "ICH BIN DEUTSCH" at me. It might not quite fit into the whole mythical thing they've got going on, but, it does certainly look like they're going down the mysterious, pretty-much-a-myth route, so I think it fits.

The ride itself sucks donkey dick though. That indoor section looks crap.

^ Hahaha, I think the complete opposite.

The indoors section looks like it's going to be damn quick for such tight manoeuvres. Look at the banking!

I think it's going to be fab.

The indoor section looks alright to be honest, the banking is pretty heavy in sections, so let's hope for quite a bit of speed. Also, I'm hoping for them to bother theming the inside and not just randomly mincing around a giant show box until you get to the drop section.

Joey said:
Gazza said:
Joey said:

Have you been to the park? I dunno, just.... Doesn't work at BGW. And it doesn't work paired with the mythical forest theme. It just all feels a bit forced.
And Autobahn themed bumper cars does work?

I haven't been to the park, but I dislike the notion that because an enthusiast picked up on a pattern all of the coasters have a mythical theme that they must continue to do that. (But just on that, how do you classify Alpengiest, is it supposed to be an alpine ghost flying around, or is it meant to be a chairlift gone wrong?)

I do agree that car related themes are "easy", but, I don't think it matters.

If it were themed to modern day car racing I think you'd have a point, but the cars kind of look classic, so that aids with setting the ride away from the here and now.

Gazza said:
And Autobahn themed bumper cars does work?

I haven't been to the park, but I dislike the notion that because an enthusiast picked up on a pattern all of the coasters have a mythical theme that they must continue to do that. (But just on that, how do you classify Alpengiest, is it supposed to be an alpine ghost flying around, or is it meant to be a chairlift gone wrong?)

I do agree that car related themes are "easy", but, I don't think it matters.

If it were themed to modern day car racing I think you'd have a point, but the cars kind of look classic, so that aids with setting the ride away from the here and now.
It's not just that all their themes are mythical, it's like I said on the prior page they are all really... odd, and I really don't think "autobahn through the black forest" fits with their overarching theme. It's very out of place compared to the others. They could have come up with something really cool and just.... didn't. It feels like a cop out. It feels like Thirteen with cars thrown in for no reason. Why are there cars? What relevance does it have? It'll just be done to a higher standard than Thirteen by far, but the concept just... yeah, don't get it. The bumper cars you have a point with, but tbf they are a minor attraction and it's a practical theme for bumper cars.

Alpengeist DOES have a personified yeti-like character used on merchandising. I get the impression that the story is that the sky lift has gone wrong because it's been bent out of shape by this yeti-like creature called the Alpengeist. (Cuz it's white kind of ghostly human form.)

The weird thing about BGW is that none of the coasters are actually themed to a story, they're just themed to an idea. It works, amazingly, but, I'm quite excited to see what they can do with a proper storyline, since their ride with a storyline, Darkastle, is freaking AWESOME.

I'm kind of seeing this as Darkastle, but a coaster. That makes me happy.

The actual ride looks like a pile of poo-poo on pancakes still though. Which makes me sad. Because that theme with an amazing ride, would be World Class. The theme will have to prop up the ride though. Boo.

Joey said:
It's not just that all their themes are mythical, it's like I said on the prior page they are all really... odd, and I really don't think "autobahn through the black forest" fits with their overarching theme. It's very out of place compared to the others. They could have come up with something really cool and just.... didn't. It feels like a cop out. It feels like Thirteen with cars thrown in for no reason. Why are there cars? What relevance does it have? It'll just be done to a higher standard than Thirteen by far, but the concept just... yeah, don't get it. The bumper cars you have a point with, but tbf they are a minor attraction and it's a practical theme for bumper cars.

Well off the bat, I can say immediately that if an autobahn is a convenient theme for dodgems, then fast cars is a convenient theme for a launched coaster!

I mean if its a coaster we've gotta be riding on something through this forest, it could be we've been taken by a monster or animal that inhabits the forest (dark horses? Wolves, but that would be recycling a theme I guess)
Im struggling a bit here....How many options are there for what we are being transported in? Of these, how many are actually convincing for guests?

So this brings me to my next point. How is it you can say cars are being used 'for no reason' if it seems many of the rides features are going to work well with this. You could go so far as to say its actually a full cohesive concept, and they have done a lot with what cars can do.
So far I've got.
-Accelerating quickly
-Fast swerving around dangerous obstacles.
-Crashing off the end of a covered bridge
-A structure you are driving across collapsing from under you.

This is a bit more of an effort than most car themed coasters, which all basically launch you at the start, and that's it. They've clearly thought about other bad things that can happen to your little car.

Now, if the ride had a full on fantasy theme like DarKastle, and the theme was all about an external character or whatever, and they just randomly picked cars as the transportation system, then I think Id agree with you that it was an odd choice.

But I think that this isn't the case, it will all be very real world things going wrong (Wolves, thunderstorms, collapsing structures) rather than the supernatural.
And the central concept of the ride is the driving experience itself, rather than the driving being the means of taking you through a greater story.

Think about Forbidden Journey. They tell you enough about the enchanted benches so they make sense in the context of the ride and to carry you through to the point of boarding. But the story of the ride itself when you are on it forgets about the benches and focuses on spiders and dementors etc.

Rides like Indy, Spiderman, Haunted Mansion all fit this.

But on Test Track, the story is very much about the car you are in and what it is doing.
Thunder Mountain sits in this category too...But it all about being in a train, and not really about bats or goats chewing dynamite.

^ well put.
I think that helps alot put in perspective what the ride is about. While this ride may not be the 'hottest thing of 2012', Im still really looking forward to the final product!!

I honestly think that this ride is actually going to surprise a lot of people with how intense it is. While I don't see anybody greying out on it, I think it will be pretty intense zipping around those tight curves in the building. And does anybody know when they will start construction on the bridge and/or the track outside of the building?