What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

ATI said:
So, what's the next phase? Do we get more teasing? Do we get the footers being poured? What happens next?

Endless posts asking if anything has happened, then speculation, obsessing over mud and spray markings until footers and track arrive. Most of the work won't start until the park closes as with a lot of it mixed inside the rides can't have them running while it happens.

I'd love if they did a full construction blog, including some pics and facts from the track and trains being made in Waldkirch, maybe a tour of their facilities and some videos of track being bent. Geeky, nerdy things that nobody but us will care about! :p

I'm opposite to a lot of people on here; I was disappointed by blue fire (I know quite a few people are) and even by Helix, and so I was withholding excitement for this. But I'm definitely erring towards the excited camp, for me the best bits of those two rides are a) the low-to-the-ground twists and s-bends and b) the in-line twists, which are up with the very best inversions I've done.

The speed is irrelevant, Helix's main launch is very weak compared to Rita, which is exactly the same speed; it's the acceleration that counts, and generally magnetic launches are never hugely forceful (I know Fluch von Novgorod is supposed to be, and Taron too). Same with the height, sure it might look a bit more impressive it if it were taller but it doesn't really do much, and at 3700ft+ the length seems even more impressive at only 88ft tall.

I think we're going to get a really great ride; it won't be the best in the world, but it certainly could be the best in the UK and for me I'm optimistic that it could be better than Helix. The comfy seats, the lights, the laterals, the airtime, it's going to be a lot of fun.

ATI said:
So, what's the next phase? Do we get more teasing? Do we get the footers being poured? What happens next?
BPB are building a fountain outside the empty diner on the front, and every night will project a real-time camera of the construction site onto it.

Quick question which actually might warrant its own thread, but it intrigues me so why not...

What if this coaster turns out "just decent" for enthusiasts, but is well-received by the general public? Forget about what the ride will ride like for a moment, and focus on its legacy. If the coaster becomes a public success, what would its impact be?

Are BPB likely to have a second look at their lineup and draw up a development plan with more coasters? Will its competitors respond? Will it impact how coasters are built and marketed in the UK?

I mean, it's just one coaster in just one park, but it has to have some impact on the park itself, and possibly on other parks in the region too. At worst, it will be "just another coaster" and pass by without creating rings in the water, but I hope it will have some effects. This is a high-quality, no-gimmick, no-record coaster, which is probably the best type of coaster there is. It doesn't emphasise one single aspect to the point of diminishing others, it just uses known technology and techniques to create a solid ride experience. It's something I'd like to see more of, both in the UK and the world in general.

In all honesty, I fear the GP will view it as just another coaster. No matter how impressive it may look or how enjoyable a ride it may be, I just worry that the majority of the GP here are conditioned to value rides on world firsts and unique features that they can brag about.

I really hope I'm wrong and that this will be the start of a real change where the emphasis is on quality rides rather than gimmicks, and I reckon BPB is the perfect park to build something like this to test the waters nationally (if this was at Forp it'd be panned by the GP for being boring, not doing anything etc...) and hopefully change perceptions.

ATI said:
You are joking...

You're an idiot.

Oh my god, why don't you show some bloody respect for once!? You are 27. I am in my teens. I think for a 27 year old, you have some issues with people under your age?

Before you post, have you:
- Checked your spelling and punctuation?
- Ensured you haven't written anything that is likely to cause upset to another member?
- Added anything to the discussion, or are you just nodding in agreement or posting for the sake of it?
If not, please do so or we may remove your post!

Smithy said:
Before you post, have you:
- Checked your spelling and punctuation?
- Ensured you haven't written anything that is likely to cause upset to another member?
- Added anything to the discussion, or are you just nodding in agreement or posting for the sake of it?
If not, please do so or we may remove your post!

Smithy said:
You're an idiot.

Ok, says you...

Anyway, we are getting way of topic here...

You did see the rest of my post that, you know, actually contributed to a discussion rather than just being a pointless non sensical bit of tripe ala most of your 'contributions'?

Problem with age haha give over, you realise nearly all of us have been on here since we were teenagers and not even then posted as much utter **** as you have.

^ It's posts like that which cause the annoyed replies.

As for Pokemaniac's point, if this gets good public success I think it will alter the national coaster scene. I have a feeling the Merlin parks will continue with their usual gimmicks, but it could allow less prominent parks such as Drayton or Paultons to work their way up the ladder to become serious competitors. I think this because it would allow them confidence to build new coasters without expensive world's first technology, which will get more attention because 'its like the new blackpool one'. Dunno if this makes sense or if I'm talking bollocks.

It does seem to make sense, I hope Merlin does step up the game. Im not sure about the future of paultons, I hear Drayton manor may be getting a family coaster of some sorts in 2018 (please be an intamin family launch coaster) I think the future for Drayton manor especially, and the uk are fortunately are very bright!

Hi long time lurker construction 2018 being confirmed got me to sign up!

Anyways i think that Blackpool are going the right way with marketing it. The average in Blackpool wont give a care in the world if it had the fastest launch in the world, or the most loops. They are stating that its as fast as lambo people your average joe will be like wow that's cool

Hopefully they ride it and think S*** that was cool and tell all their mates. People rode the Smiler as it looks scary if this builds up a reputation then Blackpool will be onto a winner

I also like that they've gone down the simple route of just announcing the coaster, with the stats and a video, rather than the bulls**t, tired, and no doubt expensive drip feed publicity stunts that Merlin insist on still doing.

There's clearly a lot to be excited about with regards to this new coaster!

Although I appreciate the provision of a POV video, I often find that they fail to do a good ride justice - especially when it possesses a smaller, twistier design. On a recent trip to Grona Lund I was really impressed by the little pops of air and ever-changing direction of Twister, yet when I watched the videos back online it didn't seem to equate to much!

From a personal perspective I would have loved the "inclined loop" to have been an actual inversion and also the inclusion of a finishing corkscrew/inline twist, but other than that this coaster looks fantastic!

Can anyone tell me/guess the height of the tophat? I assume that the immelmann is the tallest point of the ride?

^RCDB lists the ride's maximum height as 27m, but yeah that's probably the immelmann.

I'm actually quite shocked to see something this good coming to the UK and that it's not Merlin as well. Blackpool have needed something big for years and this is definitely that. I kind of hope the plans change a little bit though, maybe another inversion at the end, instead of an s-curve. But still, this really could re-ignite the industry in this country. Well, I hope.