What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

And let's be fair, if any park are going to exaggerate claims about their coasters, it's gonna be BPB.

Lofty said:
Joey said:
Everyone better just stop saying **** anything because we can't know for sure until we've all been on it in every seat in every weather variant several times, right?
THIS.

This is what makes me laugh. The BPB fanboys that are hiding under the surface of this forum will argue that this coaster is going to be the best thing ever - in reality, it'll be a great coaster, but not the best!

I wouldn't say we're hiding, just posting whenever we have some news or something of relevance to post about the new coaster. My post about the expected timescale of the construction seemed to get lost amongst a load of nonsense with someone spamming with every other post!

I do expect it to be better than most of the dull coasters we've seen Merlin build in the last ten years in all honesty, but I doubt it'll be the best coaster in the country. I'm not even convinced every BPB fan will see it as the best coaster at the park in 2018 but that remains to be seen I guess.

On paper it should be the best in the UK, the interactions will make this ride one of the best in the world IMO. If it turns out boring I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong but I really can't see this not becoming a top 10 European coaster.

There's nothing better than doubting a ride ever so slightly so it can prove you wrong. Hindsight can be a powerful thing :p

Scott88 said:
Lofty said:
Joey said:
Everyone better just stop saying **** anything because we can't know for sure until we've all been on it in every seat in every weather variant several times, right?
THIS.

This is what makes me laugh. The BPB fanboys that are hiding under the surface of this forum will argue that this coaster is going to be the best thing ever - in reality, it'll be a great coaster, but not the best!

I wouldn't say we're hiding, just posting whenever we have some news or something of relevance to post about the new coaster. My post about the expected timescale of the construction seemed to get lost amongst a load of nonsense with someone spamming with every other post!

I do expect it to be better than most of the dull coasters we've seen Merlin build in the last ten years in all honesty, but I doubt it'll be the best coaster in the country. I'm not even convinced every BPB fan will see it as the best coaster at the park in 2018 but that remains to be seen I guess.
See, that's a post that makes sense - I took on board your timescale as it's exactly what I had heard, too!

I agree, I don't think the general public are gonna find it that incredible, I'll admit. I think this is definitely going to be an 'enthusiast' coaster in terms of who likes it most.

I hope you're wrong Lofty and it appeals to the public. I want to believe that they're tired of bull and just want an obvious roller coaster that isn't trying too hard, even if they (the public) don't realise it. But like you, I'm... Skeptical.

I do think that, now more than ever, having an "enthusiast coaster" is in itself a sensible marketing ploy, even if not intentional. The boarder between the nerds and the casual visitor is very slim now. It's us who share stuff on social media and post reviews and ravings.

And I think, even if the ride turns out to be not that great, enthusiasts are going to PUSH it to stardom in a way, because we want more rides like this and less gimmicky rubbish.

It's funny... In 1994, it was Blackpool going for the height gimmick against Alton's Nemesis. I wonder what crap Merlin will have up their sleeve for their 2018 woodie and how it'll hold up against Mackpool? I'm kinda expecting Alton to have another disappointing year and go "see no one wanted a woodie after-all!" We can't win with Melrin, so I'm all in favour of the optimism ship in favour of parks who get it.

It'll be interesting to see how it fairs over the years given that this is Pleasure Beach's first "modern" coaster, relative to Big One and Infusion which were designed in the early- and mid-90s. I'd imagine their maintenance team will appreciate something new to get their teeth into!

Also regardless of what other Mack coasters outside of the UK might be better than this, I think many of us can agree it's still leagues ahead of SW8! :p

No pictures I'm afraid but a large drilling machine is on site creating various holes that will start to become footers over the next few weeks.

Speaking as I find here;

It looks like a ride that's been designed wherein its only gimmick is to interact with other rides. I know that's not the case but I think the spacial scarcity has probably hindered Mack to really flex it's design muscles to its fullest potential.

Beyond the opening airtime hill, the other elements are failing to excite nor intimidate me.

What excites you?

To some extent, you're correct.

I've said this about this coaster that nothing on it is revolutionary, world-beating or incredibly whacky that you think "That'll be amazing". I highly doubt that it's been designed to interact with other rides, because the other layout concepts from different manufacturers used the exact same spaces, which says to me the this design is just the most viable design for the money and space that they have (because it's a really narrow corridor that it's being placed in).

In terms of what excites me about this is the fact that it's a very good quality coaster that will have airtime, lats and still be incredible rerideable. Nothing in the park, or the UK for that matter has a combination of good airtime, incredibly smooth ride, inversions and quirky interaction with other rides, attractions and pathways - so as an overall package I'm excited about it as it's going to be really really good fun to ride and give us that extra 'something' of substance that we need, it's definitely filling a hole in the market.

No pictures I'm afraid but a large drilling machine is on site creating various holes that will start to become footers over the next few weeks.
Why would they already be drilling holes for the footers? I'm sure that there needs to be a lot more ground work before that, and considering it is opening in 2018, why are they doing this so early?

Why would they already be drilling holes for the footers? I'm sure that there needs to be a lot more ground work before that, and considering it is opening in 2018, why are they doing this so early?

All footers and groundwork has to be completed by the time the park opens daily in April. Then, there will be no further work until the 2017 off-season, when supports and track will be installed. Trust me, of all people, I should know.

Video proof of the new drilling machine on the C2018 site (3:32), and also stuff that is going on around the park in the off-season...
Cant tell whether the drilling machine is RCS though or not...

Last edited:
The crane was used to get the cars off Revolution for winter service, nothing to do with the new ride, and wasn't in sight at all when I snooped round the outside of the Beach last Thursday. (Sad I know!).
Hole digging will be lengthy because the whole park is built on sand, footers will have to be very deep I imagine.