What's new

Blackpool Pleasure Beach | Icon | Mack Multi-Launch

Re: Blackpool Pleasure Beach: Project 2018

Perhaps they can theme the new ride after that ice-skating stuff that only they care about ; then they'd be happy pumping tons of marketing money into cross promoting "Hot Ice : The Ride" as part of a brand campaign?

;-)

Well... Looking at some layouts I've seen, I could see it being another red arrow themed ride, as the elements it has kind of mimic the manoeuvres pulled off by them, as I saw the display today. The layout also reminds me of maverick in a way. I'm probably totally wrong, but that's just the fun of it! :)

ATI said:
Well... Looking at some layouts I've seen, I could see it being another red arrow themed ride, as the elements it has kind of mimic the manoeuvres pulled off by them, as I saw the display today. The layout also reminds me of maverick in a way. I'm probably totally wrong, but that's just the fun of it! :)

The layout has been designed to maximise the amount of low-to-ground manoeuvres. This reduces the overall cost whilst also increasing the riders' sense of speed. There are a couple of high elements but they aren't the main point of this ride. Quick transitions and aggressive airtime are the objective.

ATI said:
Project 2018 = Maverick
Ha i've never thought about it in that way, but come to think of it you're right! Project 2018 definitely does share some heavy similarities with Maverick. Here's hoping it reaches as much critical acclaim.

Ben said:
They wouldn't, and shouldn't, advertise a 2018 project yet, because people would put off going in 2017.

What sort of a marketing ploy is 'hey, maybe skip your visit next year?'

Nothing wrong with a couple of "Coming Soon - New Ride" spoilers in the area, it's something we see done by Merlin a lot and it's something BPB did with the promoting of PMBO and Valhalla.

Last edited:

^Because airtime and low ground turns are better than inversions,

Sent from my VS820 using Tapatalk

For me, to have a great ride you need a combination of everything, air time, inversions, lots of twists and turns, theming, etc. However I don't think there is a perfect balance of inversions. I could do with one or two more in my opinion. :--D :--D :--D

Yeah I think the whole point of the coaster is a ground-hugging, speedy, airtime extravaganza. I don't necessarily know what more inversions could add. I feel if they removed some of the airtime elements for inversions, they'd remove what makes the layout so good. That being said, a speedy Blue Fire style heartline before the breaks would've been fab. (Totally can't remember if that that was in the plans - I don't think it was)

No there was a "high dive" before the break run. What the heck is a high dive?

ATI said:
No there was a "high dive" before the break run. What the heck is a high dive?

It's not an inversion, but it looks rad! Ha almost looks like something RMC would put on one of their coasters.

ATI said:
For me, to have a great ride you need a combination of everything, air time, inversions, lots of twists and turns, theming, etc. However I don't think there is a perfect balance of inversions. I could do with one or two more in my opinion. :--D :--D :--D
Funnily enough, when The Big One opened a Blackpool hotelier told me his guests were saying if it had a loop it would be perfect. But it's done OK.

Robbie said:
Funnily enough, when The Big One opened a Blackpool hotelier told me his guests were saying if it had a loop it would be perfect.But it's done OK.

ATI said:
Its not done yet. Or anywhere near.

:roll: I don't think that's quite what he meant. At all.

Lofty said:
Your intelligence level is rather low, isn't it?

You've changed your tune on him in a week :lol:

Lofty said:
To be fair, it's going a bit far and there are some incredibly rude/direct name calling type posts above.

But yeah, piece of advice ATI, just be careful which topic you post items in and the tact in which you do it :)

In his defense at least he's active, he'll get better eventually I'm sure! A good 3/4 of new people here pop up like "Hi I'm X and this is my fave coaster and park" and make one or two other posts before dissappearing forever.

I have changed my tune because it's now a constant bombardment of posts that make no sense and appear to have no thought behind them whatsoever?

Some updates:

UTq1uCC.jpg

Ground testing is ongoing around the Go-Karts area.

MRSFtdi.jpg

The area behind the Turtle Chase site has been completed excavated, leaving the walls of the Pleasure Beach Express tunnel exposed.

oi25f2U.jpg

Clearer view.

PibLp4b.jpg

The fibreglass turtles have reappeared now the ground is prepared.

mF7AGiD.jpg

DUMkFQ7.jpg

Finally, the Tom Sawyer lake area is being tidied up.